RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away OOC

Post by Adam »

I'll go with to the bomb place. I'm still in pretty good shape spell wise.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

As it really cannot be attempted without Benn (requisite skills) , I'll go with ''party waits."

Update coming.

Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I advanced the timeline.

But if Raen has a comment to make to the Tall Prisoner, Alhoon, we can insert that. Just post it here.
Likewise, if anyone planned to inetrrogate him a bit further than night, let me know in OOC and I can post the info gained (if any) where appropriate.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I actually was drafting an IC post when the timeline advanced. Klokulf was going to ask Alwina why the submen raided the surface of her world, and if they could speak like normal men.

After that (and after getting any information provided about the bombs and the printing) he would have cast amanuensis to copy what he was writing and then continued with the spellbook while read magic lasted.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:I actually was drafting an IC post when the timeline advanced. Klokulf was going to ask Alwina why the submen raided the surface of her world, and if they could speak like normal men.

After that (and after getting any information provided about the bombs and the printing) he would have cast amanuensis to copy what he was writing and then continued with the spellbook while read magic lasted.

No problem. If you still have the post, you can put it up here in OOC and I will quote it and reply in IC, inserting that before my timeline advance.

If not, no problem. I'll just give you the info here.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Here is what I was going to write:

Back in the portal chamber, Klokulf continues his writing. Occasionally, he looks up to observe the prisoner or behind to check on the portal.

After several minutes, he voices a query. "Alwina, what reason do the submen have to raid the surface of your world? Also, can they speak like true men?" He does not look up from his scribbling as he asks.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Here is what I was going to write:

Back in the portal chamber, Klokulf continues his writing. Occasionally, he looks up to observe the prisoner or behind to check on the portal.

After several minutes, he voices a query. "Alwina, what reason do the submen have to raid the surface of your world? Also, can they speak like true men?" He does not look up from his scribbling as he asks.

Reply posted as an insert to the existing post.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I see you left some blank space. Can I get the following put in there?

"I see," Klokulf replies, furiously inscribing non-sequiturs into his book.

Soon, he ceases his writing and withdraws a second, identical book from his pack. He opens it nearly as deep as the first, then intones a Vaasi prayer.

"Though all mortal things impermanent be,
In preservation of record please assist me."

The words in the first book begin to appear in the second book, as though written by an unseen hand.

Klokulf then turns back to reading the spellbook until his sight wears off.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

edited

If other players would like edits, let me know.

I assumed only a few minor, undramatic actions, all based on your previous posts, established routines, background, etc.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Before we retire for the evening, I fetch a gendarmes to get Thibault so he can search the bomb shop and confiscate the supplies. Don't need somebody blowing it up by mistake, or on purpose.

Also, the tall dude said he'd tell us about Matyr if we untied him, I think.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

NOTED

I'll add a bit about the gendarmes clearing the bomb shop.

And about Maytr.

PM sent.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Anyone who slept the night (or equiv.) gets hit points equal to level.

Dungeons are not comfortable, but at least the enemy had a room fitted out as a crude barracks.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

fort
DC 8

Alain

Benn

Kat

Raen

Outlander

Dorgio

Agremond the Gaunt'

Tall Man

Alwina

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

incantation

Benn is going to be a caster.

Who are the other two (or more)?

Nobody needs spell ability for this, though some spells may help your chances by boosting skill rolls.

Skill rolls to be made are listed a couple pages back.

6 Knowledge Arcana
2 Knowledge Dread Realms
1 Knowledge Planes

All DC 20

Rules, again.

http://dndsrd.net/unearthedIncantations.html

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:INCANTATION

The Dark Road
Conjuration
Effective level: 6
Skill check: Knowledge Arcana DC 20, 6 successes, Knowledge Dread Realms 20, 2 successes, Knowledge Planes DC 20, 1 success
Failure: death/discorporation
Components: V, S, M, F, SC, B
Casting Time: 90 minutes
Range: touch
Effect: one portal and the immediate area about it
Duration: 1d6 rounds
Saving Throw: reflex DC 20 to avoid being drawn in
Spell Resistance: yes
---------------

This ritual requires two additional casters (minimum of three).

Failure:
Casters’ spirits detach from their bodies to join the Lost, becoming bodiless entities caught in the interstices between worlds.
Leaving the ritual unfinished short of the final success needed activates a one-way, uncontrolled portal with potentially disastrous results. The ritual must be done again, from the beginning, to regain control of the portal.
Backlash: Casters are left exhausted by the psychic drain at the very end of the incantation, when the Dark Road appears.
Focus:
a stable magical portal between domains (the Border Mists are too capricious) that is also:
• completely shielded from the light of the sun and moon
• a dungeon, place of execution, battlefield, or other site linked with passage into the underworld
material components:
torches, candles, braziers of coals and incense
chalked pentacles and magic circles (must be erased and redrawn if the ritual failed or was disrupted/broken off)
a human or demihuman corpse

This incantation involves ‘forking’ of the ethereal route of a portal between domains, stepping sideways through reality onto the path that souls of the dead follow into other worlds, the heavens and hells of myth (or into a final dissolution in the Mists, if certain pessimistic Lamordians are correct).