RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Hearing the bolt recede, Klokulf turns the knob with his left hand and slowly pushes the door open. As he steps inside, his eyes sweep the room thoroughly before turning to the task of examining the people. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he says as his gaze dissects them.

He stands six feet tall, and looks to be in his early thirties. His black hair is shorter than that of most Vaasan men, not including his large mustache. He is garbed in traveling clothes, and has a pack upon his back. No armament is visible upon him, though he seems to have armor on underneath his clothing.

The man holding a loaded crossbow matches Miss Sophie's description of Bennedikt Gehrmann.

The pale, sweaty fellow next to Gehrmann looks like a scholar who just found rats eating a rare tome.

And neither mannish breeches nor a functional-looking rapier--no dress item, that-- make the redhead look any less the beautiful young lady. Women in this heathen country do have strange ideas and stranger manners...

VIEW CONTENT:
OOC
I leave it to players to expand on descriptions or link to pictures, as they please.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Klokulf Belk," the spindly archivist says, the crossbow never wavering from targeting the man's chest, "You said you wanted to speak about saving the city. Go ahead."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Saving the city?" Klokulf chuckles. "I daresay I would be run out of town if I tried to do that. I merely desire to discuss the unfortunate string of violent crime that has occurred. You see, Miss Sophie is an old friend of mine, and, since I was in the vicinity, she asked me to try a hand at looking into the matter. I needed more information before I could proceed, so she pointed me to you."

"My surname is Blix, by the way. The door must have muddled my words."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat gazes at him with interest, a cool assessing look that suggests she is assessing him both for usefulness and danger, and is keeping the option of speaking with her rapier on the table. Unlike the archivist, however, she has not drawn her weapon. Yet. Her hair hangs to her collar and her clothing is mannish, plain but good quality if you look closely. She is wearing a bandanna about the lower part of her face that muffles her speech slightly, carefully tucked into her collar and tied behind her head

"You may yet find that investigating the violence and saving the city run closer together than you might think. Do you know what you are letting yourself in for?"
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Turning to the lady, Klokulf replies, "I have a general idea. That is why I sought out those who have more specific information. Speaking of more information . . ."

He brings up his right hand, then points his thumb at her and his pinky at the scholar. "Who are you two?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen, a man in his mid-twenties with dark brown hair and a recently-grown goatee looks at the Vaasan.
"You may call me Raen. I am a scholar and I assist the gendarmier and mr Gehrmann as they try to stop this crime spree. And other matters."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"You may inform Miss Sophie we are investigating the matter. If you work on your own, you will likely be found dead somewhere during the mission. I would recommend you regretfully decline her offer of work."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Working on my own would only serve to interfere with progress that has already been made," replies Klokulf. "I believe such a matter as this necessitates combined effort on the part of investigators, and I am only too happy to assist in whatever way possible. Perhaps we can dispense with the crossbow and get down to brass tacks."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen seems somewhat hesitant. "That would be good, but do you have any proof you are indeed on our side? That you are who you say you are? A letter of recommendation from the madam perhaps that she employed you for those murders?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict smiles, but the crossbow doesn't move. "Perhaps you don't understand our hesitation. Let me explain it. The subject of our quarry was once of our number. He inserted himself into our investigation, pretended to be a friend, while in the meantime continuing to murder victims under our noses. You could say this has led to our having a difficult time trusting newcomers."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Your trepidation is well founded," says Klokulf, "And I regret to say that I do not carry much in the way of credentials. What I do bear has never done me much good beyond the borders of my homeland. As for a recommendation, my arrangement with Miss Sophie is a favor, not an officially contracted enterprise."

His answers come across a bit too calculated, like an exam trying to avoid recognition for what it is.

"One of your number, you say?" The surprise in his voice only nearly rings genuine. "That seems the sort of thing that could rightly make newcomers suspicious of you."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen nodded with a small frown. "He kinda has a point there Benn. I don't think we're making things easier for the Klokulf to trust us. Although... " he turns to the Vaasan, "while your reluctance to trust us is reasonable, it is you that looked out for us.
Regardless, you may ask about me at the gendarmerie and I believe they will vouch for my reputation."
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict's eyes narrow and the point of the crossbow dips, but it isn't completely lowered. "If you don't trust my reputation as an investigator in this city, I don't know what else I can do to convince you. The actions of young Jonathon Matyr while in our employ are a subject of perpetual shame for me. Finding him and bringing him to justice is a personal matter for me."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf thinks for a moment. Is that sincerity, or is it practice?

Then he speaks, "If you don't mind, I will seek guidance on the matter." He then rolls up his left sleeve, revealing the holy symbol lashed to his forearm. "Please don't take this the wrong way."

He grips the iron spear with his right hand, and begins to pray in Vaasi, "Lawgiver, show me the truth within the mortal mind, where one need have no fear if one has nothing to hide."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen frowns deeply realizing what spell that is.
"Way to go Klokulf. You'll see firsthand that you insulted me. Benn, the Vaasan uses a spell to read our minds. I am considering to just return the favor and read his mind, but I consider that wasted effort.
I suggest you just start thinking insults about him instead of hitting him though. Now Klokulf, you better not waste the whole duration on us. You would benefit far more from running to check someone else. Richemuloteause are not easy to share secrets. I don't have anyone in mind, as you would soon see, but perhaps Benn does."
My DMGuild work!