RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter Ten

Post by alhoon »

Raen, his spell settled looks at the Archivist.
"Wererats called you by name. It's a bit hazy since I ran away in panic, but there were several of them. I stopped counting at half-dozen. I believe they came through the sewers.
Benn, They somehow knew that I work with you. The Ratcatchers and street-sweepers, I went to visit them, report strange happenings with the rats, similar to the ones we witnessed with them leaving. Their guildmaster agrees that the wererats are far smarter and organized than the good people of Richemulot believe. Perhaps you should talk to him."
After he takes a breath the wizard continues.
"That Vaasan... have you ever saw him in the past? How could you tell he's from the South? In any case, have you heard any of the findings of the others? I was with Katherine and Sara to the alchemist about the incendiary mix. Apparently a group of Falkovnians has been buying ingredients to make lots of the stuff. "

Raen doesn't mention the strangeness with the sign yet. He doesn't want to know if he is loosing his mind to hallucinations yet.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat dives in after the pair, then gapes at Raen.

"Were rats? First wereferrets and now wereRATS? Do they even have those? Are you sure you're not winding me up?"

She is wearing, they may observe a bandanna across her face, tightly tucked into her collar.

"And Benn, you ARE a famous Sleuth. maybe the guy was a customer? Or an informer? Anyway, more importantly, I have been talking to the alchemist and that ash is dangerous. It changes things that breathe it. Those weird firebreathing demons we fought? perfectly ordinary alley mongrels that have been breathing the ash. and he thinks it works on people too... hes working up some protective facewear, we should get it, fast.""
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE ALLEY

The man from Nova Vaasa has concluded his prayers...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Benn's house

Raen is taken aback. "That thing that nearly killed me was a "perfectly ordinary" dog exposed to the ash? What about the Falkovnian refugees that stay in the path of the cloud? How fast does it act? How much exposure is required? What I mean is... yes, there are wererats. If dogs turn to ... that, a wererat would turn to an abyssal monstrosity that can only be harmed by magic or silver. Those things probably remain in the sewers or cellars, but they could probably be exposed to small quantities of the ash. "
Then, the wizard takes a breath.
"Regardless of how terrible the situation is, that was good work Kat."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict slams the door, checking out the window for any others who may be approaching. "We don't know who we can trust," he says, impatiently. "So I'm suspicious of strangers. My home's been broken, my offices..." he drifts off.

"His dress, his bearing. He was obviously Vaasan to anyone who knows what to look for. And as for wererats," he closes his eyes and sighs, "They're unpleasant, but I've used some as informants in the past. They have access to places I could never go, and so long as you keep them well-paid they're loyal to a point. I apologize if they frightened you. Chances are, if they knew you were working for me you were probably safe."

He looks at Kat, somewhat baffled. "I'm sorry, the ash makes dogs breathe fire?" He shakes his head and curses in Lamordian. "The world seems to be going a bit mad at the moment."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen backs surprised. "Remember the day we met Katherine? In the house? The creatures that grabbed me and wanted to eat me? They were wererats and I recognized their voices in Benn's office today.
Your "unpleasant informants" tried to eat me alive Bennedict. They are not unpleasant, they are evil monsters.
The money, the services, the information, the resources you provide them, all go to assist evil creatures that spread terror and violence. There can be nothing good in the long term by associating with monsters Bennedict. Sure, there may be some short-term gains but in the end, you trade with monsters. The fruits of your labor go to assist monsters."
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

The Vaasan man rolls his left sleeve back down over the engraved iron replica of a spear lashed to the back of his arm, then he makes his way to the mouth of the alley.

I will knock one last time, he thinks to himself, to make sure no one is present before resorting to anything drastic.

He rounds the corner onto the street, brings himself back to the front door, then raps thrice.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

alhoon wrote:Raen backs surprised. "Remember the day we met Katherine? In the house? The creatures that grabbed me and wanted to eat me? They were wererats and I recognized their voices in Benn's office today.
Your "unpleasant informants" tried to eat me alive Bennedict. They are not unpleasant, they are evil monsters.
The money, the services, the information, the resources you provide them, all go to assist evil creatures that spread terror and violence. There can be nothing good in the long term by associating with monsters Bennedict. Sure, there may be some short-term gains but in the end, you trade with monsters. The fruits of your labor go to assist monsters."
Bennedict's face tightens as he looks to Raen. "Don't presume to judge me, wizard," he says, "The world is full of monsters. If I can use one to stop a worse one, I will do it. You have no idea the creatures and things my connections have made possible. Someone in my position can not afford to be as naive as you-"

At which point the rapping on the door happens, and Bennedict snaps the crossbow to his shoulder, pointing it at the door. "Did he hear us? Who's there?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:The Vaasan man rolls his left sleeve back down over the engraved iron replica of a spear lashed to the back of his arm, then he makes his way to the mouth of the alley.

I will knock one last time, he thinks to himself, to make sure no one is present before resorting to anything drastic.

He rounds the corner onto the street, brings himself back to the front door, then raps thrice.

THE MAN FROM NOVA VAASA

..hears a muted voice behind the door, though he cannot make it out. Somebody's in...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The man calls out, "Is Bennedict Gehrmann in? I wish to speak with him regarding the wellbeing of this city."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Who is asking?" the archivist shouts through the door.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"You're in a dangerous path archivi... " Raen also stops arguing morals when someone knocks on the door.
"We'll come back to this Benn after the cloud business." Raen moves to the side of the door, pressing his back on the wall, spell pouch in hand.
My DMGuild work!
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"My name is Klokulf Blix," he replies. "To whom am I speaking?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I am Herr Gehrman. And I should let you know, I and my friends are armed. If you are here to cause trouble, you will find you have knocked on the wrong door."

He waits a moment, taking a breath as he makes up his mind. He nods to the others to unlock the door. "Come inside, slowly, and keep your hands where we can see them."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hearing the bolt recede, Klokulf turns the knob with his left hand and slowly pushes the door open. As he steps inside, his eyes sweep the room thoroughly before turning to the task of examining the people. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he says as his gaze dissects them.

He stands six feet tall, and looks to be in his early thirties. His black hair is shorter than that of most Vaasan men, not including his large mustache. He is garbed in traveling clothes, and has a pack upon his back. No armament is visible upon him, though he seems to have armor on underneath his clothing.