Star Wars 7 (No Spoilers)

Books, movies, television and everything else
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Star Wars 7 (No Spoilers)

Post by Zilfer »

Not quiet related but figured I'd put up a topic out of curiosity is anyone else going to go see Star wars 7? I'm headed to see it tonight and I'll try and remember to let you know what I think about it and avoid posting any spoilers about it without spoilers. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Star Wars 7 (No Spoilers)

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

My ticket has been staring at me from the wall for 2 months. trying to stay calm, but not sure I can make it to 9 o'clock tonight without exploding. (It's hard to say if I'm more obsessed with sw or ravenloft. So yeah, kind of excited)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:My ticket has been staring at me from the wall for 2 months. trying to stay calm, but not sure I can make it to 9 o'clock tonight without exploding. (It's hard to say if I'm more obsessed with sw or ravenloft. So yeah, kind of excited)

AS much as I like Star Wars, I am not going to stand in line, go to a full theater etc.

My wife and I are patient and will go sometime during the holidays,

IF this were Winter Soldier or Thor Ragnarok, I think I would be first in line.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:My ticket has been staring at me from the wall for 2 months. trying to stay calm, but not sure I can make it to 9 o'clock tonight without exploding. (It's hard to say if I'm more obsessed with sw or ravenloft. So yeah, kind of excited)
Pretty much the same Ron. :) No worries, why don't you do a Star Wars Ravenloft and combine things eh? :) Dark Powers..... Darkside.... all the same right? :)

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:Pretty much the same Ron. :) No worries, why don't you do a Star Wars Ravenloft and combine things eh? :) Dark Powers..... Darkside.... all the same right? :)
:soth:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I will give no spoilers. I will say only that it is good.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I concur. I will say, saw it coming on both accounts though. :)

Ender
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ender »

I think I might be the only person in the world who felt the movie was decidedly meh.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ender wrote:I think I might be the only person in the world who felt the movie was decidedly meh.
Meaning it didn't blow your socks off? Trust me it didn't do that to me, but it was a good solid movie. Not blow me away, and seeing familiar faces was quiet a treat. :)
VIEW CONTENT:
The ending could have been given maybe 15 more seconds to finalize and maybe a bit more spoken dialog.

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Sounds like Diz-knee is struggling with the same things Lucas did: trying to recapture the sheer impact the first movies did. I'm more content to wait for it to come out on DVD so I don't have to deal with the large number of rabid SW fans (one of which is my friend who eats, sleeps, and breathes SW).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

*** some spoilers ***

Saw it yesterday.

Visual : 10/10, outstanding as expected
Story: 6/10, great nostalgic moments (ex. when Han enters the Falcon cockpit), but I was a bit disapointed overall : it is basically the same story as episode 4, but set later in time...

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Joël of the FoS wrote:.

*** some spoilers ***

Saw it yesterday.

Story: 6/10, great nostalgic moments (ex. when Han enters the Falcon cockpit), but I was a bit disapointed overall : it is basically the same story as episode 4, but set later in time...

Joël
It's been said that the saga's mirror each other. So Episode 1 and 4 and 7 are all similiar. Episode 2 and 5 are similar. Ect ect ect. You could definitely notice they were trying to setup for the next movies though. :)

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ender wrote:I think I might be the only person in the world who felt the movie was decidedly meh.
You are not. I think it was an OK-ish movie, i.e. well below SW average. I would say... it was the 3rd WORST SW movie.
And now that the hype is dying, voices like "ok, it wasn't THAT good" start to get heard among the applaud.

You know, weeks after SW1, Phantom menace, the worst SW movie IMO, has been on the screens, people were getting to the internet all excited saying it was the best movie ever made and how they watched it 4 times etc.

Anyway, without spoilers: I could use more originality.
The movie could use way more computer graphics. Yes, I know many people didn't like them in the prequels but personally, I liked them very much in the prequels. Make-up and plastic masks in a 2015 movie? Really? It seemed like a late 90s movie in some parts.
The movie could actually... make more sense. Filling in gaps and believability was never SW strong point but this one had quite a few holes.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the FoS wrote:.

*** some spoilers ***

Saw it yesterday.

Joël
Really? You didn't find those plastic masks and costumes anachronistic in 2016? Those Imperial remnant troopers in beginning could hardly run in their armor!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:You are not. I think it was an OK-ish movie, i.e. well below SW average. I would say... it was the 3rd WORST SW movie.
Well below SW average is still REALLY GOOD to me. :) I put it 4th worst, but that's also 4th best, behind 3 of my favorite movies ever made. Was it perfect? no. But it did exactly what it needed to do, IMHO. A smidgen less repetition would have made it even better, but I'm not going to complain too much, when there's so much to love about it.
The movie could use way more computer graphics. Yes, I know many people didn't like them in the prequels but personally, I liked them very much in the prequels. Make-up and plastic masks in a 2015 movie? Really? It seemed like a late 90s movie in some parts.
You're in the minority here, my friend, I think. CG has its place, when done well. But where you see plastic masks, I see aliens that look like they are really there in the scene and not obviously added later. (like Maz Kanata and the tentacle monsters looked to me). There's some great CGI in the prequels, but also some terrible CGI that pulls me right out of the movies.

Seen it twice now, and still loving it.