Rings of power?

Books, movies, television and everything else
Joël of the FoS

Rings of power?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Just finished the 8th episode (end of S1).

First of all, I liked it. It's of course not anywhere near as good as the 3 LotR Peter Jackson movies (6 blood drops on 5), but still it was enjoyable.

Great to stunning visuals (but not the first warg seen, mind you), average acting for some, good twists but some of the punches that were a bit predictable.

Some caracters were fun, even if the acting was too much restrained (Galadriel, Addar, the halflings). I was sometimes under the impression regardless of races all actors were given the instruction to play as elves, i.e. with minimal emotions showing (except the halflings and the dwarves).

3,7 blood drops on 5.

I know many people hated it, but I'm not in this clan. I prefer an average-good LotR related thing to nothing at all.

Your thoughts? Keep the spoilers hidden ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Rings of power?

Post by alhoon »

I have not watched it and I am not particularly inclined to watch it. People that are lore-heavy have pointed out too many flaws and alterations of the base material, some of which even stroke out to me. Something like Isindur (Sp?) being around at the beginning of the 2nd age or Galadriel (at that point should have been 5000 years old) being a rebellious teen etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

alhoon wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:13 pm I have not watched it and I am not particularly inclined to watch it. People that are lore-heavy have pointed out too many flaws and alterations of the base material, some of which even stroke out to me. Something like Isindur (Sp?) being around at the beginning of the 2nd age or Galadriel (at that point should have been 5000 years old) being a rebellious teen etc.
I usually love and follow canon, and some of the changes made me raise an eyebrow (or two). However, I have to mention that Tolkien himself was changing his mind all the time about Galadriel's past history - there are contradicting short stories.

By the way, she isn't a rebellious teen, she is an experienced warrior but she has her own obsessions and inner demons, which are her flaw.

Also, the writers said that the time frame of the rings creation story has been compressed so there are meaningful humans (and others) in the show, otherwise, if you do not compress canon time, it would be only elves as caracters that are there from start to end :) and the action would be much slower.

Do not deny yourself the fun of seeing it :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

I would like to point out that the writers only had the rights to TLoR books. Nothing else, SO THEY HAD TO make some stuff up.

Just saying.

A lot of it had the feel of the movies I found. They tried really hard.

I am curious to see where it goes from here.

I enjoyed it as an Earth-One DC thing. 🤓😊

My thoughts about the actors though ?

The elves seemed too "human" in their behaviour for my taste, too relatable maybe.

But,yeah, some really enjoyable stuff there... and the budget !?!? 😳

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com