Creepy Real Headlines

Books, movies, television and everything else
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Creepy Real Headlines

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Here's one that made me think of Ravenloft right away.
https://gma.yahoo.com/police-probe-myst ... ories.html

Anyone got more?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Creepy Real Headlines

Post by Jimsolo »

Well THAT just went into the GM playbook. I have compulsive pediophobia (If you have dolls with staring or--shudder--MOVING eyes, I will turn them face-down the moment you aren't watching me. I can FEEL them looking at me...) so this is definitely a button-pusher for me.

Damn, now I have the willies.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Glad to be of service! Mwahahah. And thanks for teaching me my new word for the day. I would have guessed pediophobia was fear of children. :lol:

Oh, and I'm moving this to the proper forum. Sheesh, whoever started this thread should learn the rules... ;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

It's a branch of automatonophobia, the fear of anything that falsely represents sentient beings (like ventriloquist dummies, animatronics, and robots). It also brings up something I've been wracking my brain over. As a child in the Eighties, I once saw glimpses of a horror movie about a malevolent ventriloquist's dummy, displaying telekinetic abilities to torment a boy when someone brought it home. I can't remember the name and I'd greatly appreciate some help. It's not Pinocchio's Revenge (this is a movie from the 1980s). I think the dummy was possessed by the ghost of a violent criminal (not Child's Play, remember this is a ventriloquist's dummy). One scene had the dummy talking to the boy in his room with things floating around, including a TV that had a picture of a newspaper headline about someone who died or was executed.

Creepy headline, too. And yes, the OP should learn the rules...
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

It wasn't Making Contact, was it? It sounded familiar (never saw, but heard about). And apparently it was also called 'Joey'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_(1985_film)
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

That's it! Thank you, Dark Angel.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Sure. If there was an occupation that relied on a person's ability to recall the most random thing they ever heard, I'd be the top man in my field. Glad I could help out and I will try to only use my powers only for good.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Here are a couple of others:

Here is a photographer who takes pictures of ruined buildings, churches, palaces, etc. but will not tell anyone where the ruins are:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/27/travel/po ... ?hpt=hp_c3

Underwater statues that could work in the Drowning Deep:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/29/world/gal ... ?hpt=hp_c3
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Band2 wrote:Here is a photographer who takes pictures of ruined buildings, churches, palaces, etc. but will not tell anyone where the ruins are:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/27/travel/po ... ?hpt=hp_c3
Fascinating! Gotta use it somehow. (and the images are great too).
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Here's one that made me think of Ravenloft right away.
https://gma.yahoo.com/police-probe-myst ... ories.html

Anyone got more?
Sorry to all (and Gonzoron) for taking away the 'mystery' and overall very creepy vibe that story had, but good news to all
VIEW CONTENT:
it is just an old woman who went to church with the families of those kids. She did not mean any harm and thought she was doing something nice with dolls that looked like the girls. It is not a psychopath who slept in a room filled pictures of neighborhood kids.
Little solace for all, sorry to ruin the intent.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/investigators- ... d=24707112
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

No, thank you Dark Angel. Knowing that there's a well-meaning explanation to the real-world mystery is a relief, while still allowing us to twist the story into a creepy tale for Ravenloft. :twisted:
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:No, thank you Dark Angel. Knowing that there's a well-meaning explanation to the real-world mystery is a relief, while still allowing us to twist the story into a creepy tale for Ravenloft. :twisted:
Well, of course! I am done with mirrors, moving onto innocuous seeming bridges, and seeing what I can do with dolls.

Ravenloft, taking normal, everyday items and terrifying adults with them since 1983.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Think he'd be pissed that I suggested turning his home into a time share?

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... f=1&t=8966
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

:D Thanks. I needed that laugh.