Been commissioned to create maps for Activision Call of Duty

Books, movies, television and everything else
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Been commissioned to create maps for Activision Call of Duty

Post by MichaelTumey »

This is more a bragging post than anything else, but I thought some might be interested.

Its just been confirmed that I will be getting a freelance contract by a third party contracting firm who works with video game companies. I am being hired to create 20 - 30 maps for the Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (futuristic war games) for the printed tactical guide book provided by Activision containing tactical ideas and cheat codes for the game. I've been told I might be doing some maps for the upcoming Destiny online game soon as well.

Even though its a freelance gig, I would be expected to fly out to Los Angelos and speak with the authors, editors and developers at both Activision and Sledgehammer prior to the start of any project - expenses paid for by the contracting firm.

So hurray, I am now a video game cartographer, in addition to continued cartography work for tabletop games.

As an aside I've also just been commissioned by FASA Games to create a triple deck merchant vessel based on a Dutch fluyt merchant ship design that is being used as the passenger body of airship design for an upcoming game called 1879. I need to create all 3 deck plans and a side view of the vessel.

So while I'm still wrapping up my tutorial guides project, I've got some commission work to do, and entry into the video game industry... kind of cool!

Michael
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Been commissioned to create maps for Activision Call of

Post by Dark Angel »

Very cool. Not lying, kinda jealous. Keep us posted and good for you!

CD
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Very nice. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Awesome. You work with Activision's flag ships. You're playing in the big league now! :)

While in Activision's headquarters, tell them you would LOVE to draw maps for a game in a medievalish gothic castle of a vampire, somewhere in a misty land.
And that such a game would be a hit. ;)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

alhoon wrote:Awesome. You work with Activision's flag ships. You're playing in the big league now! :)

While in Activision's headquarters, tell them you would LOVE to draw maps for a game in a medievalish gothic castle of a vampire, somewhere in a misty land.
Or maybe I should talk them into licensiing Kaidan, which is an IP I own (that way I get the licensing money as well...) I'll find out what I can suggest when I get there in September (Labor Day week), when I'm scheduled to go to LA.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:While in Activision's headquarters, tell them you would LOVE to draw maps for a game in a medievalish gothic castle of a vampire, somewhere in a misty land.
Start an online petition and we could have thousands of signatures. Granted the fallout from so many of us taking hostages in wireless hotspots just to bolster it further would put a damper on the project...
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Glad to hear of your success! :D
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

MichaelTumey wrote: Or maybe I should talk them into licensiing Kaidan, which is an IP I own (that way I get the licensing money as well...) I'll find out what I can suggest when I get there in September (Labor Day week), when I'm scheduled to go to LA.
Awesome! Not as awesome as a computer game about a Mediavalish vampire's castle but still good. And you could use your well-earned fame and money from Kaidan to...
finance a game about a Medievalish vampire's castle somewhere in a Mistly land. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!