Penny Dreadful

Books, movies, television and everything else
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Penny Dreadful

Post by steveflam »

Anyone looking forward to this show?

I only saw the 1:13 preview but it looks interesting, almost MOTrD like.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Penny Dreadful

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

yeah, I just read a little blurb about it. looks like MotRD: the series! I'm stoked, but I don't have Showtime. Looks like I'll have to wait for DVD/netflix.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:yeah, I just read a little blurb about it. looks like MotRD: the series! I'm stoked, but I don't have Showtime. Looks like I'll have to wait for DVD/netflix.
I think here it will be on T: M N the movie network for those who have fancy cable. I am like you, Ron. I will wait for DVD or netflix.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Watch the pilot while you can. http://www.sho.com/sho/home
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Manofevil wrote:Watch the pilot while you can. http://www.sho.com/sho/home

I get an error msg. Thanks but I'll wit till it comes on and I can dl it.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Holy Moley!

That was as excellent an episode as any I've ever seen before! Highly recommend it to any RL or MoTrD fan.
Grigg_Deadbreaker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Grigg_Deadbreaker »

Watched the pilot on Hulu the other day. It definitely piqued my interest. Though I wasn't happy with the last few minutes, I'm sure I'll be keeping an eye out for future episodes.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

I love this show. I look forward every week to the new episode.

I was amazed in the latest one how much a notable character in the show looks like Van Richten. If there were ever to be a real-life rendition of the character, I think that is absolutely perfect.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Cheap premise, but beautiful execution. Especially between Timothy Dalton's and Eva Green's acting, the viewer is most astoundingly sold on a plot that honestly looks like the writers were not even trying. Good sauce! Makes me return to MotRD again! :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, I finally watched the premiere. While I enjoyed it, I couldn't help feeling like I should have enjoyed it more. This is right up my alley. Like directly up that alley. And yet... I found it a bit slow, and a bit by the numbers, and by the end of the episode, didn't feel like it had gone anywhere. Atmospheric, yes. Well acted for the most part, sure (though I don't think I like Hartnett much). But didn't make me want to watch more, which is surprising. Oh well.... enjoy it, those who liked it. I won't go out of my way to watch more.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

AFter four episodes I can honestly say it way too slow to my taste. I will give ep 5 a try then decide if I keep watching it or not.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I am with you guys, there. The main problem of the show is that it stuffs too much into a plot that would benefit
from way more streamlining. As in,
VIEW CONTENT:
both the Frankenstein and Dorian Gray plots could be easily left out

Overall, my impression is that Gothic Horror is where fantasy was before the Tolkien movies:
If it gets put on the screen, at all, the measure is not how good it is, but how bad it is not... :wink:
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Personally, I like how the show takes established characters and stories and mashes them all up.

Fact is, we've all seen the Dracula & Frankenstein stories before. They get re-done every so often, sometimes there's a different spin here and there, but essentially it's the same story.

By mashing all the characters together, letting them interact, we suddenly have new avenues to take the stories that we didn't before. Mixing the exploration of "darkest Africa" with Dorian Grey, with Dracula & Van Helsing, with Frankenstein and Caliban, shades of Jack the Ripper and a possible werewolf? At that description I cringe, and think it's something from the Universal movies era, but they're doing well with it for my opinion.

Gonzoron, if you can, watch a few more episodes. The end of episode 2 really shocked me, and the first season is only 8 episodes long. So even if you watched all 8...you wouldn't really have invested that much time, at least compared to some other shows out there.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VIEW CONTENT:
I think the next episode , episode 5, deals with Mina who we haven't really seen yet
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Watched episode 5 and I'll pass on the rest. Too much story and not enough action to my taste.

I found time to read I, Strahd once more. It never bores me.