Complete Necromancer Guide recommended reading list...

Books, movies, television and everything else
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Complete Necromancer Guide recommended reading list...

Post by The Giamarga »

The old 2E Complete Necromancer Guide by Steven Kurtz is one of my favority AD&D supplements. While not directly connected to Ravenloft it contains lots and lots of flavourful stuff for a Ravenloft campaign, even referencing Ravenloft at times.

Seeded throughout the obligatory character kit chapter are several literary sources (recommended reading) for different necromancer archetypes. I'll try to reproduce them here:

Tanith Lee's novel "Kill the Dead" explores the theme of a psychic ghost hunter whose mental powers enable him to sense and manipulate spiritual forces.

A short story from the fantasy Thieves' World anthology, "The Vivisectionist," more closely explores the theme of the torturer-scientist.

Also, the DM might check out Glen Cook's Black Company series, which involves a necromancer known as the Dark Lady, who subjugates her living apprentices, creating the infamous Ten Who Were Taken.

"The Last Incantation", "The Death of Malygris" , "The Dark Eidolon" , "The Empire of the Necromancers", "Necromancy in Naat", "the Colossus of Ylourgne", "The Chamel God", "Return of the Sorcerer" and "Ubbo-Sathla" by Clark Ashton Smith

"The Dweller in Darkness" and "Beyond the Threshold" by August Derlith

"Shambler from the Stars" and "The Shadow from the Steeple" by Robert Bloch

"The Terror from the Depths" by Fritz Leiber

"Rising with Surtsey" by Brian Lumley

I've started reading through these with the Tanith Lee novel "Kill the Dead" and I must say so far it is a great read and inspiration for a Ravenloft fan.

Most of the CAS stories are available online for free btw.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Complete Necromancer Guide recommended reading list...

Post by HuManBing »

Nice bibliography, Giamarga! I'll betake myself to the library and seek these out!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Slightly off topic: While I always saw the potential for this in Ravenloft, I actually used it (the island specifically) as an ancient Sith site for the West End Star Wars d6 RPG. I fixed the technology aspect by having the only transportation to and from the isle by ship (as repulsorlift fields were disrupted by anomalous gravity fields). Sent a few Jedi in there and converted the necromancers to Dark Jedi. Good times...
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Dark Angel wrote:Slightly off topic: While I always saw the potential for this in Ravenloft, I actually used it (the island specifically) as an ancient Sith site for the West End Star Wars d6 RPG. I fixed the technology aspect by having the only transportation to and from the isle by ship (as repulsorlift fields were disrupted by anomalous gravity fields). Sent a few Jedi in there and converted the necromancers to Dark Jedi. Good times...
Add Darkside Parasites and your good!
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The Island campaign of Sahu and the flavor/story seeded throughout the CNG is what first drew me to Al Qadim. They fit seemlessly into the campaign world and further develop the story and NPCs of the Cities of Bone boxed set.(Kazerabet is 16th level there, and Talib is wielding one of the treasures and governing the city with her, obviously having completed the adventures of CoB)

Kuntz and Baur also wrote an excellent Dragon article on playing a Dark Arabia campaign, mixing a bit of Ravenloft into Al Qadim.

The 2 FR NPCs Dr Ellandra Tolbert (13th level anatomist necromancer) and Yola (8th level death priest of the maiden of pain) could easily inserted into Ravenloft btw.

Back on topic though, the Tanith Lee novel "Kill the Dead" could easily be set in Mordent. It is about a Ghosthunter and Im thourougly enjoying it.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Oh and by all means add the CNG itself to your reading list!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

So, i finished Kill the Dead, and i must say it was a great read. 5 ghostly Godefroys for a masterfully crafted ghosthunter story: :wifred: :wifred: :wifred: :wifred: :wifred:

Of course i was all the time mentally stating the main character who is a very good fit for the inquisitor class in PF. There's even a Final Rest inquisition.

I'll post a statblock in spoilertags here when I'm done.