Shutter island

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Shutter island

Post by alhoon »

Nice movie there.

Without giving too much out, there was a USS article about an Asylum with ghosts and Icepick therapy.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Agreed great movie.

Certainly gives some nice inspiration for Dominia and some lovely plot devices as well.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

I saw it yesterday. It was entertaining, but I felt somehow disappointed. After "The Departed", I expected more from a Scorsese/DiCaprio movie. Also, I felt that the plot twist wasn't particularly original, when you take into account other movies (I was going to mention one in particular, but it might be spoiler-y).

Anyway, it's not a waste of time, but I think it won't be awarded any Oscars :P

Oh, and for a moment, I thought I was going to see an adaptation of the first adventure from Bleak House :P
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Nukdai
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Nukdai »

was it a plot twist? and did he know in the end
Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms
And the moon is full and bright
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Well.... I was reading the plot on wikipedia. Too close to Basic Instintct 2 on some respects, not original there.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
brass
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by brass »

I've got to say I enjoyed it. Not a bad actor in the bunch and I wasn't expect much but was pleasently surprised. Good stuff for gas lighting material.
Last edited by brass on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Nukdai wrote:was it a plot twist? and did he know in the end
And on a related note, did the doctors suspect he was shamming, and go through with the procedure anyway...?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Shutter island

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I'm only 3 years late to the party. Caught this one over the weekend. Very nicely done. Agreed that it oozed Dominia flavor. Went on a bit long toward the end. I didn't even consider that
VIEW CONTENT:
he was faking forgetting at the end to voluntarily be lobotomized because he couldn't live with his guilt, until my wife suggested it. Once she did, I agreed, and I felt dumb for not catching that.

My only other quibble: would he really be locked away as dangerously insane for what he did? under the circumstances, I think it was almost understandable. Certainly a temporary insanity plea would have worked. I wondered if that defense didn't exist back then, but wiki says it was actually quite popular in that time period.

I wish I hadn't seen the twist coming. I don't know if it was obvious, or if I was spoiled at some point and forgot about it. But there was some nice foreshadowing, like the "partner" fumbling with his gun, and the wife bleeding from her stomach in the dream...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I'm only 3 years late to the party. Caught this one over the weekend. Very nicely done. Agreed that it oozed Dominia flavor. Went on a bit long toward the end. I didn't even consider that
VIEW CONTENT:
he was faking forgetting at the end to voluntarily be lobotomized because he couldn't live with his guilt, until my wife suggested it. Once she did, I agreed, and I felt dumb for not catching that.

My only other quibble: would he really be locked away as dangerously insane for what he did? under the circumstances, I think it was almost understandable. Certainly a temporary insanity plea would have worked. I wondered if that defense didn't exist back then, but wiki says it was actually quite popular in that time period.

I wish I hadn't seen the twist coming. I don't know if it was obvious, or if I was spoiled at some point and forgot about it. But there was some nice foreshadowing, like the "partner" fumbling with his gun, and the wife bleeding from her stomach in the dream...
Well, it is nice to know I am not the only one "late to the party". Shutter was great, knew something was coming (but not to that extent).
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Didn't see the movie, but read the book, which was cool. Indeed, some atmosphere bits were quite cool.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:My only other quibble: would he really be locked away as dangerously insane for what he did? under the circumstances, I think it was almost understandable. Certainly a temporary insanity plea would have worked. I wondered if that defense didn't exist back then, but wiki says it was actually quite popular in that time period.
I'm not sure if the character in question was locked away because
VIEW CONTENT:
he killed his wife when he found she'd drowned their children,
but because the horror of what happened that day drove him to imagine he was someone else, altogether. It's his delusion
VIEW CONTENT:
that he's a different federal agent trying to hunt his real identity down,
and the dangerous extremes to which he went while playing it out, not his prior crime, that got his committed.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ah, that makes sense, Roti...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Read the book, too. The questions formulated by Roti get answered there, pretty much - because it's more of a Kafkaesque experience, than a coherent novel.

As in, you know...