Gray Matter

Books, movies, television and everything else
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gray Matter

Post by Trike »

I just finished the game “Gray Matter.” I recommend it for anyone who enjoys classic, point-and-click adventures.

The story is a somber mystery involving psychic abilities and a mournful haunting. The main character is a street magician who becomes the assistant of a brilliant neurobiologist. The plot deals with ghosts, memory, magic, and reality.

Jane Jensen wrote this game. She was the author of the Gabriel Knight games series from way back when. (If you haven’t played those, go to GOG.com and pick them up. They are classics!)

But, as for Gray Matter, you can pick it up as a download from Amazon for $9.99. They also offer a copy on disk for $19.99. And I know you can get it on Xbox Live but I’m not sure how much that is.

I beat the game in about twenty hours. I’m usually not satisfied with a game unless I get about an hour of game time for each dollar I spend. So this game passes, YAY! Nothing I hate more than paying $60 for a twelve hour game (you listening, Force Unleashed?).

Anyway, this is a cool, eerie adventure game for a great price with really compelling characters. You should all try it out.

For legal reasons, I am compelled to tell you that I have no ties what-so-ever to Jane Jensen, Amazon, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, or brilliant, haunted neurobiologists who wear masks on their face to cover the terrible scars caused by the fiery lose of love. I’m just hawking a game I liked.

As for Ravenloft game material, this game had some aspects that could be politely stolen for an adventure between Lamordia and Darkon. Much of the game deals with a scientist experimenting with memory and the mind. I don't use Darkon's domain wide ability to wipe/alter memory. But if you do, this game gave me the idea for a Lamordian scientist building a secluded lab on the border of Darkon to study memory.

The PCs are all assistants he's hired to ensure the success of his experiments in various ways. They are asked to protect his lab and slip across the border to find volunteers. What? They could be willing volunteers!

You could even have the PCs discover through these experiments that they are not actually the heroic adventurers they believe themselves to be. They are, in fact, entirely different heroic adventurers. Or, you know, whatever you think they could have been. Yeah, that one got away from me a little.

Before using this game idea, you might as well go watch the movie "Memento." You're going to want to rip this movie off, too. And they would go together to make one grand adventure dealing with memories.