Tales of master manipulators from real life

Books, movies, television and everything else
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Tales of master manipulators from real life

Post by HuManBing »

There's a post on Reddit that reminded me of a Ravenloft master manipulator, like d'Honaire or Aderre or Boritsi.

Here it is.

Warning: some adult (heated) language. I might use some of this for a darklord or similar villain.

Post other stories about puppet masters here!
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Tales of master manipulators from real life

Post by cure »

Maddoff
The cure for what ails you
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Several Chinese historical figures are said to have been very accomplished manipulators.

Probably the best-known of these is the villain of the "Three Kingdoms" era, Cao Cao. His adult wiles were legendary, but he got an early start. In his childhood, his father was king, and his uncle was the a primary adviser to his father. The uncle did not like Cao Cao and recognized his craftiness.

Cao Cao knew that he had to remove his uncle. So he sat playing and waited until his uncle came by. Then he fell to the ground, contorting as though seized with a life-threatening fit. The uncle, alarmed, ran to the king and told him his son was having a fit. The king came back to find Cao Cao playing with his toys as though nothing had happened. When the uncle was unable to explain this, the king lost trust in his judgment and sidelined him. Cao Cao had won his first battle of wills in the royal court while barely more than a boy.
crazybantha
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by crazybantha »

Sociopathy is amazing research material for darklords, imo.

I don't think they can be true sociopaths, though, like the chick in the reddit story is (great link, btw). Darklordship demands the gothic feel, the redeeming aspect. I mean, take a look at Dexter. The tv series had to bland it out and turn him into a recovering monster. The book is much closer to a realistic concept (just saying, not criticizing the tv... I enjoyed both in their own way; although the book suits my style way more). He's more like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho in the sense that the autor, in the book, was not obliged to make him lovable and redeeming.

Anyway, the Boritsi seem to draw mainly from machiavelli, as we all know. And 'machiavellian' is actually a thing in psychiatry, so... double coincidence!

Anyway, stories-wise, you might want to take a look at two books. The Sociopath Test, by Jon Ronson, and Without Conscience, by Robert Hare. The latter is filled with clinical stories. Hey masterfully draws from his clinical experience to put meat into the concept for us laymen.

These books are both eye openers and inspirational for ravenloft. It adds a whole other layer to things. You start to read the great leaders' journeys, like that chinese emperor kid you mentioned, and start to wonder why and how much sociopathic behavior will be acquired in a life of leadership.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

That was quite a story, and as usual i feel more curious about the unknown territory wanting to experience or find signs of it myself. xD Curiousity killed the cat, I don't have proof of the body yet but it's been missing for at least a week. xD

Not sure i'd have the skill to work a socio path into my games. Think it would take quite a bit of practice to do well.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf