American Horror Story

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: American Horror Story

Post by alhoon »

So, Elsa Mars is supposed to have false legs? Then why they show the actress in those nice long dresses that show her ankles and shoes etc? The legs certainly look 100% real and for me, that breaks immersion. They could have taken the effort to not show her ankles. It wouldn't be too hard.

And... Dandy. I don't think I ever hated a person in AHS 4 seasons as much as I hate Dandy.

If I learned something from AHS and GoT is that I actually hate spoiled, ungrateful brats with a murderous streak more than I hate serial killers, mass murderers, possessed creatures etc etc etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:And... Dandy. I don't think I ever hated a person in AHS 4 seasons as much as I hate Dandy.
Hear Hear!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I loved the episodes with Edward Mordake. Loved the character, loved the backstory, loved the atmosphere. I would picture as a bogeyman in Ravenloft easily.

I wish he would take Dandy, but poor Edward Mordake should not suffer that guy and his tantrums for eternity.

Episode 5: Beginning
Hard to decide who is worse, Dandy or his mother. I obviously hate Dandy more, but a good part of his Dandyness comes from his mother.
If Maloccio Aderre was raised that way, Gabby has only herself to blame.
VIEW CONTENT:
So, for murdering a person that was practically his aunt, Dandy got grounded for a whole day? :shock:

Also, how tragic that you can't anymore pick up vagrants from the street and butcher them like the family tradition requires... How terribly unfair!
Episode 6:
VIEW CONTENT:
I can't believe Betty fell for DANDY of all people...
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:I loved the episodes with Edward Mordake. Loved the character, loved the backstory, loved the atmosphere. I would picture as a bogeyman in Ravenloft easily.
I was less thrilled with him. IMHO, the very end of episode 3 is too late to introduce the supernatural into what had previously
VIEW CONTENT:
and subsequently
seemed to be set in a more realistic world.

He would have been a fine character in any other season, I suppose. It was just jarring in this one.

If you didn't know, he's based on a real(ish) person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Mordake
(as were two of the characters in the previous season:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphine_LaLaurie )
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Never heard of him, thanks. I knew about the other two in previous season.

On the contrary, I actually love that they finally involved the supernatural. It wouldn't be AHS without it. These stories are about the supernatural, at least to a degree. Asylum also had the SN although it centered more on human side of evil.

Now, to place Dandy:
Immoral like Maloccio Aderre, insane megalomaniac like Death, spoiled and covetous like Ivan Disilnya, with a hint of misogyny and bloodlust of Gundar and bored like the God Brain.

Also I thought that
VIEW CONTENT:
Dandy has killed too many people and while's he somewhat careful about the evidence, it will certainly catch up to him. For starters, he leaves finger prints everywhere.
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:On the contrary, I actually love that they finally involved the supernatural. It wouldn't be AHS without it. These stories are about the supernatural, at least to a degree. Asylum also had the SN although it centered more on human side of evil.
Yes, but Asylum had the aliens right from the 1st episode, and the implication that "Bloody face" was something supernatural by having him appear in both time periods
VIEW CONTENT:
in the end, that was a misdirection, as they turned out the be father and son, but still, there was an exorcism in episode 2, etc.
Obviously, I don't mind the supernatural, but I like to know whether it's a possibility or not from the beginning.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I actually think it's the same world for all seasons. Hence I assume in all seasons that superstitions, haunted places, possessions, witchcraft etc are possible but they are rare.
Rarer than cooky clows and megalomaniac, spoiled brats at least.
I also believe the "figments of troubled minds" we see around the carnival are actually ghosts and they have a reason to appear.
VIEW CONTENT:
Like Ethel with her son and Dell
I actually there'll be more supernatural stuff before the end of the season, but the way it was with Mordake; a superstition that it's true, a psychic that is not a fraud or something like that.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

So currently have watched most of season 1 and by most I mean.... everything BUT the last episode because i didn't want to "power through" it and it taking a few unexpectant turns. As I lay on my bed it got me thinking of how well they had come back and turned a few questions around. Now Some of the episodes I was only half watching while researching Ravenloft on the net so I may have missed something buuuuut! Here goes.

What happened to the original ladies baby? I got to thinking it has to be someone still alive but probably didn't know, so what if it was the dad? Though I guess that wouldn't make sense since he'd be older huh? I don't think it's the half burnt face man either. Maybe I missed what happened to the stolen baby of the original owners but I'm thinking they could have a VERY useful plothook there or twist.

The first season my GF is saying is generally considered the best, and i'm watching it on netflix so I can only get up to the 3rd season. So we'll see, and I instantly recognized when they used the story for Croatoan before the word was even said. xD Seems like everyone likes using that from Storm of the Century, Supernatural, and now this! XD

I did like the general twist of what happened to the girl, and I was caught a bit by surprise though I have a feeling if I had been paying more attention to earlier episodes I could have guessed that.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Season 2 was the best for me. Then season 3 because it had witches, then season 4 because it was similar in tone to season 2 and last... season 1. I liked it the less. I liked it, but less than the others.

Without wanting to spoil it for you Zilfer, I didn't like the finale of Season 1. If it was better, I would have put season 1 as better than season 4
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:Season 2 was the best for me. Then season 3 because it had witches, then season 4 because it was similar in tone to season 2 and last... season 1. I liked it the less. I liked it, but less than the others.

Without wanting to spoil it for you Zilfer, I didn't like the finale of Season 1. If it was better, I would have put season 1 as better than season 4
Yeah I have a feeling that everyone is just going to die at this point and they'll live "happily" as a dead family. <.< Which is meeeeeh. But we'll see I watch the last episode when i get home today in about 5 hours. xD Glad to hear that you liked the other seasons for it gives me hope. :D

Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Zilfer wrote:
alhoon wrote:Season 2 was the best for me. Then season 3 because it had witches, then season 4 because it was similar in tone to season 2 and last... season 1. I liked it the less. I liked it, but less than the others.

Yeah I have a feeling that everyone is just going to die at this point and they'll live "happily" as a dead family. <.< Which is meeeeeh. But we'll see I watch the last episode when i get home today in about 5 hours. xD Glad to hear that you liked the other seasons for it gives me hope. :D
Wait until you see the latest episode. You guys are going to be pissed....
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What? They messed season 4? Yes/No please, no spoilers. :)
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:What? They messed season 4? Yes/No please, no spoilers. :)
No spoilers, but let us say turns are taken and I cannot wait for your reactions.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Yeah last episode was OK. Sucks that the family died in total basically and the older lady never really got caught. o.O' Anyways, not too bad of a show.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I'm watching the 10th episode of the Freak show. I'm midway through and I think it's the most humane in the season, and the most moving to me. Of course, for the later it may be that one of our "house" dogs died today so I am biased.

Elsa Mars is probably the most likeable anti-heroine Jessica Lange has played in AHS. Sure, she's corrupt, murderous, insane with lust for fame etc. But she sincerely cares about the carnies in her care... as long as they don't take her fading spotlight.
VIEW CONTENT:
Although I don't get how she made it on TV, so much as to be the cover of a magazine in 58!
About episode 11:
Chester... there's many ways to actually be a freak. You freak.
The show ruined certain fantasies of mine. I was shocked in fact. Everyone that watched the episode will know what I mean.
I like that the supernatural made a return (probably, can't be 100% sure it's SNatural).

About episode 12's intro:
Still better fate than What Isolde does in my opinion.
My DMGuild work!