American Horror Story

Books, movies, television and everything else
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: American Horror Story

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Just needed everyone to know I am still around, just not as much for this week. My father fell and broke his leg and is in the hospital now. I'm having to take care of business for him, which takes away from my time online. Just wanted everyone to know, so no one was concerned with my absence here. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ouch, best wishes to your dad. Hope he patches up quick so you can get back here to the "important" stuff. ;)

Like, why the heck would any medical professional tell Ben
VIEW CONTENT:
That I was totally right about one twin not being his
?!?!? Doesn't that violate all sorts of confidentiality laws? It's not even medically relevant.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, it's baaaaack!

Anyone watch the premiere of AHS:Asylum?

So far, so good, IMHO. I'm not sure I love the addition of
VIEW CONTENT:
aliens
. (If in fact it turns out to be true, but so far it seems so.) But overall, I'm enjoying it. It's got just about every "creepy Asylum" motif going on at once, just like last season had every "haunted house" story all in one house. The actors are top notch, mostly. I did not like Joseph Fiennes as the priest. Way too over the top and hammy. (and that's in scene with Jessica Lange, so that's no small feat! ;) ) And Cromwell will always be farmer Hoggett to me, but he did a pretty good job to distance himself from that here as a Vjornn Horstmann type doctor. (that dude is so building flesh golems in the basement. If not, I'll eat my hat.) The scene with Lange's Sister Jude and the
VIEW CONTENT:
lesbian schoolteacher
was gut-wrenching. That lady can do menacing, for sure. <shudder> "Tate" was great in his new part, as was the young sister who was the ghost mother last year. Surprised that
VIEW CONTENT:
Zachary Quinto
didn't even appear in the first episode. Looking forward to seeing him, and also finding out more about "bloody face" as the season progresses.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

I'm not watching a lot of TV anymore, but I've been catching episodes of this when housemates watch. These are my thoughts so far:
VIEW CONTENT:
- I think the "aliens" might turn out to be linked to a separate issue, either the demon or a delusion covering the man's memory of witnessing his wife's murder.
- Judging mainly by his casting history, I think Zachary Quinto's character is going to turn out to be Bloody Face.
- As suspect as the Doctor Arden's experiments are, I think they won't turn out to be that unusual. Judging by the deformations, I think he's infecting his subjects with diseases or something. Not that that isn't awful, but basically mundane. He's clearly got plenty of other issues going on.
Of course it's entirely possible one or more of these are going to be dis/proven in the episode we've got running on DVR at this moment.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Funny quotes in retrospect:
VIEW CONTENT:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Surprised that Zachary Quinto didn't even appear in the first episode. Looking forward to seeing him, and also finding out more about "bloody face" as the season progresses.
Hazgarn wrote:- Judging mainly by his casting history, I think Zachary Quinto's character is going to turn out to be Bloody Face.
:)

Well, I'm still a few eps from finishing Asylum (my wife got bored, so she gave up, so I'll find time on my own to watch). But we're both enjoying Coven so far. Lily Rabe continues to impress, and Angela Bassett is awesome. Jessica Lange has another meaty role and is chewing it for all it's worth. I'm less impressed by Gabourey Sidibe, but I like her character's power. I still can't see "Violet and Tate" as anything other than Violet and Tate (even though he almost broke out of that mold for me last season as Kit... almost) but it's nice to see them again. Story's pretty good, for the most part, but I don't know where they're going with
VIEW CONTENT:
flesh-golem-Tate and Lily Rabe the hippie-witch
I am a few eps behind, however. Oh, and Kathy Bates' storyline is awesome as well. Love that "minotaur."

Anyone else watching this season?
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Anyone else watching this season?
My father is, and since he needs my help with the DVR on occasion, by extension that means I am as well.

I honestly didn't think I was going to like this season a couple eps in, but it's starting to surprise me. Kathy Bates' character is amusing as hell, even when every flashback they show gets hideously worse. Though I'm probably the most interested in the last couple episodes' turnarounds with Cordelia (Sarah Paulson) and her husband.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Anyone else watching this season?
I have been watching it and it is (so far) ok. It's a bit easier to follow than season 2, but still on the fence with the ultimate culmination of events. Will watch and wait and have enjoyed it so far. We shall see.
VIEW CONTENT:
Kinda sad that Lange is done with this show after this season is over.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, it's baaaaack!

Anyone watch the premiere of AHS:Asylum?

As fortune would have it, I just watched the whole season 2. It was incredibly captivating.

While not exactly Gothic Horror, it had strong gothic horror undertones. Without giving spoilers, it has romance, redemption, taboo, religion, supernatural, the evil of man and the trappings of pride. Payback for one's crimes may come unexpectedly and in a kinda poetic way.
Evil eventually gets what it's due even after it has caused a lot of suffering. Except one case. Yet most of the sins and sinners are accounted for in the series.
Don't let the presence of an alien Storyline put you off; it's not Sci-Fi.

I'm certainly going to watch season 3.

Now, a few spoilers on season 2:
VIEW CONTENT:
I loved how Grace, the axe-murderess, died by an axe. She appeared in most of the series to be goody-goody, but in the final minutes she had on the series we were reminded that when she had enough of her father's sexual advances, she butchered her family. With an axe.
According to the series, it seemed to me that they wanted to say "Patricide is not something you get away with, even if you're totally justified".

I wanted to see Lana fall too. She was as prideful as the rest of them. She didn't go as far with her pride. Yet, she abandoned her child which led to terrible tragedy for a lot of people. She killed him with the same gun that she used on his own father.
But still, she abandoned and killed her child, that she never loved. She shouldn't be able to get away with it, even if she was justified for abandoning the child and even if she killed that child in a kind-of-self defense.

Judy was redeemed through a long purgatory. She was also prideful and ambitious, she did commit her share of evil acts but she didn't directly kill anyone nor ordered anyone killed as far as I remember.

Ardner, the Nazi doctor's end was also poetic. Dying in a crematorium making a suicide out of a combination of grief for his lost love and the realization he wasn't as smart/important as he thought he was. Fitting end considering how many people died in furnaces under his watch in the concentration camps, having lost their loved ones.

Season 3: While it's good, I can't say I like it as much as the previous one so far.
I've watched the 1st episode.
All characters seem to have a bend to do some evil stuff or are just evil. That Boritsi girl seemed kinda promising, but she got vigilante and all for the wrong reasons, not from a sense of justice. The only one that I haven't watched so far doing anything evil or showing a lack of character is...
VIEW CONTENT:
The clairvoyant girl, but the way things go, I'm pretty sure we'll see her eating corpses or something else vile :(
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I've watched the first 3 episodes now from season 3.
It's nice but I think that season 2 was better and the characters more developed and interesting.

2nd episode:
VIEW CONTENT:
Resurrection? As a barely thought over act to repay "kindness" (rape and murder of a rapist)?
Seriously?!?
Is there any limit to those girls' pride? Attempting to bring back the DEAD as a game?
I'm not talking 1800 morals here, I'm talking about 2013 morals. That's twisted.
3rd episode:
VIEW CONTENT:
The scene where the 1830 slave owner watches Obama as president... Awesome and rewarding. My favorite in the season so far.
Of course, the hypocricy of a mass murderer on a quest for immortality that she hates racists was good too.

The Celeb has serious issues with being the center of attention. She would make a nice supreme from what I've seen from the reigning one.

As a note, taking a ressurected guy/flesh golem back to his grieving mother seemed an awfully bad idea from the get-go. The "Black widow" gal seems quite an idiot.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:...seemed an awfully bad idea from the get-go. The .... seems quite an idiot.
This is practically a trope on this show. Fill in the blanks as you see fit. :)

BTW, if previous seasons are any indication, the credits sequence is only connected to the plot thematically, but personally, I'm hoping for those very narrow, tall witch hats/hoods to make an appearance. They creep me right the heck out for some reason.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
alhoon wrote:...seemed an awfully bad idea from the get-go. The .... seems quite an idiot.

Meh, after some repeats it seems more of a plot hole. Teens doing something stupid is one thing. Teens and adults doing stupid things all the time is different.

So far the second season's characters seemed more complex and deeper.
My DMGuild work!
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
No kidding. At this point, I think Nan's the only character on the show who has any of her shit together. :|
VIEW CONTENT:
For real, her calling the counsel to come look into things because no one else was doing anything right was a moment of shining epicness in my opinion.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What I like in the series (both 2nd and 3rd season) is that in the flashbacks people behave as they did at the beginning of the season although most of them change through experience through the run of the season.
You see sadists and pervs behaving as sadists and pervs even though you've seen them changing through the show.
Like the head-nun of Season 2 (Jude) in the very last minutes of season 2 (flashback to the beginning) or the Serial killer racist in season 3.

What I like in season 3 is that sometimes desperate witches turn to... medicine and doctors when magic fails to give them a cure (or child)

Episode 4-6:

Yeap, it seems Gon is right. The stapple seems to be "X was obviously a bad idea, Y is blinded by pride and stupidity"
And that theme with the common enough resurrection spells is kinda ... meh.

Witches burning witches as punishment is kinda... ironic.

Also resident ghost is one thing and to be expected after all in such a house. That specific resident ghost? That's bad luck...

About the 6th episode:
VIEW CONTENT:
When your daughter can read people with a touch and unearth secrets and you have closet full of skeletons, put 2+2 together and avoid skin touch.

And ofcourse, having someone res-ing dead people to ask them who killed them is problematic for the killer...
How nice to think of a weirdo gal in the woods just when you need her to BRING SOMEONE BACK FROM THE DEAD.

The hunter is such a waste of money on the immortal mambo's part. Let them a couple of months and they would bring the house down on themselves without her hiring witch hunters.
7th episode:
VIEW CONTENT:
Emo undead celebrities... And still nobody says to the girls that you don't raise the dead as a game. Not even the recently risen.

I'll say it again: Such a waste of money to hire a witch hunter... Just leave them alone.
Or worse, let them live their lives with their steeped to sexual perversion buddies.

Also, it may seem a cliche after all this discussion about it, but... helping the other gang of evil, vengeful, spiteful witches just because your skin matches the color seems an awfully bad idea. I don't know how it would proceed, but I don't think it would be good for Queenie.
8th episode:
VIEW CONTENT:
What's the serial killer Supreme proud of about her daughter? That the attempt on her life was nearly successful. A really, REALLY messed family.
And so nice to have a mass murderer with experience by your side when bullets start falling. Because there's no way she will turn on you when poop hits the fan right?
9th episode:
Seriously why is everyone in this season (and the previous one) so blinded by pride?!
I can understand that for witches that haven't been in any serious confrontation with another group, but from people as old as the matrons of the two respective feuding groups, I certainly expected more.
VIEW CONTENT:
The Voodans went down without a simple whimper. A single half-trained hunter and 4 of them were dead.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

10th episode:
As I've expected... no teenager can stay a good kid with that kind of power. Also, about the subject of immortality, I liked the approach taken by the show and the VRGtLich viewpoint the Supreme Fiona has on death of "I'm not a common woman to die, I'm better so I decided that I won't die. No seriously, I won't die because I'm more important than everyone else."
VIEW CONTENT:
Not even Nan. That cigarette thing was too far fetched. Madison would have enough proof if she just had her dance or something. At least the cigarette was put out first.
Since all their powers are growing, I wonder how the "black widow" thing progresses and if we'll see a Boritsi in the series.

In any case, it's expected for a teen to get in the trap of "X seems such a stupid idea, why Y does it!?". For a hardened woman to demean her daughter in the face of their sword enemy just because that enemy spent a day under their roof seems a far fetched.

About Madison/Misty: :shock: Ehhh... what?
In any case I wish this show had more deaths than resurrections
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Episode 11.
Well the first 10 minutes have a very perverted scene. And of course, the episode is again a staple of "That seemed stupid from the start... "
VIEW CONTENT:
When 2 out of 3 people on a bed have died it's kinda too much.
About the episode
VIEW CONTENT:
Haven't finished the episode but I believe it takes more than allergy medicine to take down an immortal. I'm kinda convinced the butler is playing the racist, sadist serial killer. I also believe Myrtle has an agenda deeper than appreciation for love to send away Zoe, the golem and something in a box that tells her it's a jewel.

Also, it's OK for some witches to be cocky and male bad decisions. But hunters should know better. At least they died with style.
IMO the mambo should have done more than just playing with her cell phone through a massacre.
My DMGuild work!