Where I got my inspiration.....

Books, movies, television and everything else
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Where I got my inspiration.....

Post by Steve Miller »

When working on Ravenloft (which I did, on and off, between the years of 1994 and 2004), I generally tried to write adventures and characters that seemed to be one thing, but ultimately took a left turn and became something entirely different, or which mixed elements in an unusual fashion.

Two stories that I drew my inspiration from were Robert E. Howard's "The People of the Snake" and "Graveyard Rats." These are hardboiled detective stories with a heavy and unexpected horror vibe that both start off in one direction but end up someplace else, someplace scary.

If you're curious to take a look at those stories, they're featured in the latest release from NUELOW.... Names in the Black Book.

These stories are nice examples of Robert E. Howard's talent for mixing action with horror. The versions featured in this NUELOW edition are slightly edited from how they appeared when originally printed in 1934 and 1936. But Howard's pacing, voice, and intent is intact. I even left what I refer to as his "casual racism" intact, because I find it particularly fascinating in these tales... which are about a police detective whose cases are entirely centered in minority communities.

As with the first NUELOW horror anthology, I'm extending a special discount to my old Ravenloft friends. By using this link, you can purchase Names in the Black Book for just US$1. The offer is good through September 9, 2011.

If you have questions or comments, I check in here a couple times a week -- when I'm not drowning in other stuff -- or you can visit me at my blogs.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]