Red Riding Hood

Books, movies, television and everything else
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Red Riding Hood

Post by nothri »

.......It was good.

.......It was directed by the Twilight Movie lady. Its an adaptation of the children's story written for flighty teenage girl demographic.

.......It was good.

..........I'm sorry. I'm going to need a moment. This world and my place in it no longer have any meaning. If a Twilight inspired film can be enjoyed by me....

So yeah. Dunno what it is about this movie. Maybe its that the script actually bothers to flesh out the characters, or that the plot involves more than a female protagonist pouting over love interest a and b. It has its fair share of eye rolling moments, have no doubt. But there's also a lot of good bits. It helps that A) The murder mystery/supernatural witch hunt element actually had me guessing and created a legitimate air of suspense and tension, and B) the two villains of the story, the unknown Wolf who's terrorizing the town and the Van Helsing like Inquisitor charged with tracking it down, are simple but well done antagonists. All in all, it has a lot of elements that can work in Ravenloft, if you can put up with the love triangle and some of the asthetics.

I can't believe I actually said that. I...I even LIKED the resolution to the whole love story element, even while I thought it was incredibly hacky. I need a shower. I'll see you people later.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Red Riding Hood

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I've gotten nothing but good, Ravenloft-y vibes from every ad I've seen for this movie... I'm really looking forward to seeing it (though at my current rate of movie watching, it probably won't be for a while...).

Don't be ashamed to like it! I'm glad it's as good as it looks!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I was told [by reviews and friends] that it s**ked. You guys are telling me honestly it is good? Farge!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see it now cause my friends told me "Oh the reviews say it is shyte or yadda yadda yadda or what not." So you're sayin it is good? I hate reviews LMAO!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I'm just saying it looks good. haven't seen it yet, and since the only movies I've seen in the theater in the last year have been Toy Story 3 and Jackass 3-D, it's probably not likely I'll catch this one anytime soon.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

nothri wrote:.......It was good.

.......It was directed by the Twilight Movie lady. Its an adaptation of the children's story written for flighty teenage girl demographic.

.......It was good.

..........I'm sorry. I'm going to need a moment. This world and my place in it no longer have any meaning. If a Twilight inspired film can be enjoyed by me....

So yeah. Dunno what it is about this movie. Maybe its that the script actually bothers to flesh out the characters, or that the plot involves more than a female protagonist pouting over love interest a and b. It has its fair share of eye rolling moments, have no doubt. But there's also a lot of good bits. It helps that A) The murder mystery/supernatural witch hunt element actually had me guessing and created a legitimate air of suspense and tension, and B) the two villains of the story, the unknown Wolf who's terrorizing the town and the Van Helsing like Inquisitor charged with tracking it down, are simple but well done antagonists. All in all, it has a lot of elements that can work in Ravenloft, if you can put up with the love triangle and some of the asthetics.

I can't believe I actually said that. I...I even LIKED the resolution to the whole love story element, even while I thought it was incredibly hacky. I need a shower. I'll see you people later.
Well, Twilight was a well directed, completely drained of colour film. Except for the well directed part.

Geez, it was almost unbearable even with the Rifftrax.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
G man
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by G man »

IMO Gary Oldeman is pretty consistent in the quality of movies he signs on for. I love the intensity he always brings. This flick turned out to be better than what I expected and I was pleasantly surprised. I recall seeing Leonardo Dicaprio's name in the credits as a producer.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Looks interesting, the trailers have it remind me of Ginger Snaps Back to some degree.
Swallow your soul!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Looks interesting, the trailers have it remind me of Ginger Snaps Back to some degree.
...If Ginger had pretty boys posing all around her neighborhood. :roll:

I saw it, I was hoping for better. Too much 'Twilight' styling for me. :P
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I only recently watched this one and I must admit that I also enjoyed it, apart for the last 5 minutes which then ruined everything I'd enjoyed until that moment. Very poor ending, which was a shame considering that I'd really enjoyed it until then.
Swallow your soul!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

OK, I finally saw this one...

hoo boy, what a stinker.

It was so bad.

so very bad.

I laughed out loud at multiple points. (at what were clearly supposed to be serious parts).

I almost couldn't finish it, and that's saying a lot for a completionist like me.

If any movie ever needed wisecracking robots at the bottom of the screen, this was it...
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

5 years later.... o.o'????

Well to each their own.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

You will learn, young one...

The patience of a lich (to finally watch a terrible movie when it comes on HBO... and then sits on the Tivo for a few more years after that) has no bounds