Movies that have that Ravenloft feel

Books, movies, television and everything else
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Movies that have that Ravenloft feel

Post by HuManBing »

Guillermo del Toro is also apparently working on a film version of At the Mountains of Madness. The New Yorker magazine had a feature on him recently.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Let The Right One In is screaming of Ravenloft appeal.
The Dark Hour is also pretty tasty for its spookier moments.

And for a few others.

May
Ginger Snaps
A Tale of Two Sisters
Ju-on
Swallow your soul!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I went and saw Sucker Punch the other day. It was fair to middling.

A good array of ideas for use in any sort of "insane asylum" setting, though, so that's good. You probably won't use so many samurai sword-wielding schoolgirls with AK47s in your campaign though.
Intrepid
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Intrepid »

HuManBing wrote:I went and saw Sucker Punch the other day. It was fair to middling.

A good array of ideas for use in any sort of "insane asylum" setting, though, so that's good. You probably won't use so many samurai sword-wielding schoolgirls with AK47s in your campaign though.
I may not use them in a Ravenloft campaign but now I am dying to find a way to use them in another campaign!
Please visit [url]http://www.gofundme.com/serenem[/url]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

HuManBing wrote:I went and saw Sucker Punch the other day. It was fair to middling.

I thought it was full of ideas myself. As for Samurai Schoolgirls with AK's, I'd throw them into just about any hallucination that the protagonists fell victim to in the Gothic Earth setting, heheh ;)
Swallow your soul!
Morte Rouge
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morte Rouge »

Most of the old Hammer films (the ones set in Victorian era or early 20th Century) are great for visual inspiration of Mordent. That goes for a lot of the other British productions of the era - films from Tigon and some of Amicus' output. I'm particularly fond of The Reptile (shot back-to-back with Plague of the Zombies, already mentioned, and recycles a lot of the cast and sets).

I'm also fond of The Creeping Flesh, which I think was from Tigon and probably better-suited visually for Paridon and outlying regions of Zherisia. Another Tigon production, Blood on Satan's Claw, has a rather dreadful name and isn't the greatest movie out there, but it's set in Cromwell-era England and I think that visually it's pretty spot-on for somewhere like Tepest -- in fact, substitute a Shadow Fey in for the titular demon and there you go.

Another older film was The Abominable Snowman from Hammer that inspires a few good Ravenloft ideas. Visually, it looks like Sanguinia or, more likely, Dorjiloka (the non-canon Tibetan domain). There's the general feel of it -- it's less about the monster than the people searching for it. And I think the movie seems to suggest that the snowmen have cursed the expedition...
They ask me if I feel remorse and I answer, "Why of course!
There is so much more I could have done if they'd let me!"
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

The Four Horror Tales series of Asian movies have some good ideas as well if anyone cares to check them out.
Swallow your soul!
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Deathwatch--A small group of British soldiers get lost in a thick fog and find themselves in an enemy trench that's haunted by some unknown force. I've always thought the trench would make a great pocket domain. It already comes complete with border closure effect (the barbed wire) and possibly a darklord. If you haven't seen it, you should. You can watch it for free on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286306/
Angel Heart--Investigation of a deal-with-the-devil, with an atmosphere of voodoo.
The Wickerman--The original. Man arrives on an island and soon discovers the ugly secrets it's inhabitants are hiding.
Ghost Ship--Not only the haunting of the ship, but also the "collector".
Brothers Grimm--Monster hunters (charlatans, but still), arrive in a village to deal with it's supernatural troubles and wind up way over their heads.
Warlock--The witchhunter, the curse, the Menonites protections.
Below--The "maladiction" left by the skipper's death has the feel of a death-curse, and overall a great example of innocents caught in the fallout of villains reaping what they sewed.
Wraiths of Roanoke--Not the greatest movie ever, but the feel was definitely there.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Hazgarn wrote:Deathwatch--A small group of British soldiers get lost in a thick fog and find themselves in an enemy trench that's haunted by some unknown force. I've always thought the trench would make a great pocket domain. It already comes complete with border closure effect (the barbed wire) and possibly a darklord. If you haven't seen it, you should. You can watch it for free on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286306/
That's not a movie with a Ravenloft feel.
It's a Ravenloft movie. :wink:
Mists. Borders. Power checks. Horror checks. Madness checks. Darklord (along with curse IIRC).

Really, I doupt if "I, Strahd" would capture the theme of Ravenloft better since it evolves around Strahd and his fall and not the adventuring party.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

The Last Unicorn, in spades. The Red Bull or Mummy Fortuna and her carnival could easily be worked into any game, and I don't think there's any arguing that King Haggard (with his emptiness, crumbling castle and the Red Bull as both guardian and jailor) is darklord material.

The Hobbit, to a lesser extent. Especially during the "Riddles in the Dark" and Mirkwood portions of the film.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Galeros »

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. :o
Rudolf Weathermay
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Rudolf Weathermay »

You have to see the movie "Dagon" which is based on the novel of H.P. Lovecraft. The film is a B movie but it gives the right feeling (if you dismiss a few "funny" anecdotes)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I just watched 2010's The Wolfman last night. (Anthony Hopkins, Benecio del Toro, etc.)

It wasn't great. But it screamed "Ravenloft" from start to finish.
VIEW CONTENT:
Reminded me of a Timothy family squabble
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

HuManBing wrote:Guillermo del Toro is also apparently working on a film version of At the Mountains of Madness. The New Yorker magazine had a feature on him recently.

This appears to be in development hell for now, as Universal has denied greenlighting the movie.
Blot
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blot »

Just spotted this...

Got a real 'Tepesti' feel I think?