R.A.Salvatore's "The Pirate King" SPOILERS!

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

R.A.Salvatore's "The Pirate King" SPOILERS!

Post by alhoon »

Well, this is the first book that I find a loophole so large that it destroys believability.

In all his previous books Salvatore paints Luskan and the Luskar as rough people, watching people get butchered violently in public tormenting executions. They didn't seem to be caring so much for justice.

And now, we see Luskan, losing 1/3rd of its population in an explosion and after losing more the previous days in fights against the undead, united and cheering for the captain that brought a war on them that left much of the city in ruins and many of them dead after weeks of terrific attacks.

Sure, the lich in the Hosttower of the Arcane was evil and abusing the city. BUT people weren't dying by the hundreds or by thousands. There was a relative peace.
The fight to clean the wound of Luskan had an increadibly heavy cost for no reason other than "Hey, the lich is evil, it's supporting pirates and it's the actual master of the city. Do you want such an evil master?!"
The answer to that shouldn't be "No! Thousand times no! We prefer to die!"
The lich wasn't that bad for Luskan. Sure, Luskan would be (somewhat) better without it but the cost in lives was catastrophic.

In my opinion, and the opinion of many of the heroes in the book, the price wasn't worth the prize. It was foreshadowed from the beginning that the main question wasn't if they would succeed but if it was worth it.

And yet, the people of Luskan (who never were big on justice, we're not talking about priests of Tyr here) are cheering that through the ruins and the tragedy, they got rid of the lich... that wasn't affecting their lives too much to begin with.

Oh, and let's not forget that by destroying the body, you don't destroy the lich. All the Luskar accomplished was to pay with their blood, with tons of blood actually, was to dethrone a lich.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!