The Terror (the novel, the show)

Books, movies, television and everything else
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Terror (the novel, the show)

Post by Five »

Anybody plan on checking this series out?

Anybody read the book?

Thoughts?

I'm about halfway through the book and I'm digging it. It's got Masque written all over it...and a neat little reference too. :)
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Terror (the novel, the show)

Post by Five »

I just finished watching this series. Not bad at all. I personally wouldn't call it "horror" but it certainly does touch on a lot of themes associated with it. Great inspiration for DMs of our genre, I like to think. The time jumping might put some off (like my wife) but give it time (or read the book first like I did) and it's really a non issue. It's constricted a bit more than I'd like (10 episodes is too short to develop anything survival-based: physical, emotional and interpersonal), especially considering its almost 800 page source material, and led IMO to a watering down of some of its themes but it's still a good/solid imaginative exercise. Like I said my only real gripe is the length/lack of proper attention to certain themes.

I would recommend it to anybody even remotely interested in themes of Man versus Nature, survival, hubris, supernatural, exploration, social machinations, 19th century "trim"/history and the like.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"