New Orleans?

Books, movies, television and everything else
Joël of the FoS

New Orleans?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Soon off for two weeks in the New Orleans area to study voodoo, cemeteries and ghost.

If you have been there, let me know of your recommandations ;)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New Orleans?

Post by Band2 »

Go eat at Muriel's. Not sure what your budget is since the place is expensive, but go for dinner if you can, it is more atmospheric then. Ask to see the ghost table (a table they set for the ghosts that haunt the building). If it is too expensive may just a drink at the bar, which is in a room close to the ghost table.
Muriel's is on Jackson Square. If you are outside and facing the St. Louis cathedral it is to the right on the corner.

There are many walking ghost tours through the French Quarter. I find that it really depends on your tour guide rather than the tour company you pick.

There are also some vampire tours, I think driven by the Anne Rice books, but I have never been on one. Speaking of her, you can walk pass her old house. I do not think she lives there any more but it is still an impressive old mansion. It is not in the French Quarter but is off one of the street car lines.

The cemeteries are all over the city and some offer tours. It depends on where you are staying to which of the really old ones are near by, with the rows of mausoleums.
You will probably pass the Metairie Cemetery. It is just off the interstate highway that goes from the airport into the city. It is more modern with open spaces and grass. Because it is more open there is room for more grand mausoleums there. It is not that new, may 100 years old instead of 300. My mother played there as a kid because it was the nearest thing to a park near their house.

I grew up there. So if there is anything else you want to know just let me know.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Joël of the FoS

Thanks! Having a lot of fun so far!

Bourbon St is a layer in hell, right? (Horrible)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Band2 wrote:Go eat at Muriel's. Not sure what your budget is since the place is expensive, but go for dinner if you can, it is more atmospheric then. Ask to see the ghost table (a table they set for the ghosts that haunt the building). If it is too expensive may just a drink at the bar, which is in a room close to the ghost table.
Muriel's is on Jackson Square. If you are outside and facing the St. Louis cathedral it is to the right on the corner.
We did that place (and about 5 of the top ten NO restaurants Antoine, Pêche, Luke, Sbisi, Cochon :) )

At Muriel, we didn't ask for The ghost table (a table of four, where you can only be seated 3, to leave a place for the ghost ;) )

That was quite good (we were there for the sunday jazz brunch).
There are many walking ghost tours through the French Quarter. I find that it really depends on your tour guide rather than the tour company you pick.
We did the Voodoo & cemetery tour, as well as the late night Ghost tour. Both were very cool.

First one was on real voodoo (not the movie voodoo), Marie Lavaux and all. Great.

Then the late night ghost tour, with the Ursuline vampire legends, Muriel's and of course the Lalaurie house. Great too.

Indeed, it all depends on the guide's ability to tell a story, and both were good. Learned a few tricks by their story telling ;) This way they insist on a detail, to make the supernatural that follows more swallowable ;)
There are also some vampire tours, I think driven by the Anne Rice books, but I have never been on one.
We didn't do this one either. Sounded cheezy

(*says the guy who did the Voodoo and Ghost tour* ;) )
Speaking of her, you can walk pass her old house. I do not think she lives there any more but it is still an impressive old mansion. It is not in the French Quarter but is off one of the street car lines.
Garden district is amazingly beautiful, we walked a lot through it (and Lafayette cemetery)
I grew up there. So if there is anything else you want to know just let me know.
I can now see why Nawlins ;) is so reputed to be haunted, or the birth place of so many legendary supernatural things, with the old moss covered trees, Mardi Gras, the foreign culture, slavery and mix of exotic cultures, voodoo, old architecture, old money and sophisticated people, the general feeling of the place...

I loved it. But Bourbon St is horrible. They could empty this street from these terrible bars and start again, it would be a great improvement for New Orleans ;) Frenchmen St was much more fun!

After 7 days in No, we did 5 days in the bayou and plantations area. That was extremely cool as well ;D

Expect a future FoS photographic report on New Orleans, like I did on Père Lachaise ;)

And now I wish to revisit our Souragne FoS report with all this material, sounds and sights...
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

I’ve been on Bourbon Street three times. Even as a kid I knew it was awful, and that was the best trip. Next time I caught a guy trying to pickpocket me. Next time I stepped in a pothole full of what I optimistically told myself was only water. Sad thing is you can never convince a person who’s never been that it isn’t a place to go.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Many tourists like to get rascally drunk while on holiday, so they congregate where the bars are.