Looking for players for MotRD adventure

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Looking for players for MotRD adventure

Post by Ail »

Hi all,

I am working to make a MotRD adventure here in the forums, and I have two free places for players.

This will be very experimental: my first PbP game as a DM, my first time with MotRD and with some experimental house rules.

The game will be set in England in the 1890s, in a private school / university, with students from 16 to 21 yo: the school offers both university degrees and one or two preparatory years for university studies.
Players will be allowed to be students (up to 3rd level) or outsiders to the school (possibly up to 5th level).

The rules to be used are the D20 rules but with some changes. Classes will mostly be those in the "Masque of the Red Death: A Player's Guide: PC classes revisited" by Patrick Plouffe / Jonathan Winters (available in this site), altered by some new house rules. There will be further house rules, but I'm still working on them.

So, if anyone is interested, I'd be very happy to take you on board. Thanks.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Looking for players for MotRD adventure

Post by Alastor »

I might be interested, but I have never done Play-by-Post either. What sort of time commitment would be involved?
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

That's a good question. It depends on the game. In the games where I've been, usually I post once or twice a day. But it is frequent for the games to stop for days in a row.

Since this is my first time as a DM, I have no idea of the work on my side and my ability to respond is going to influence how much is needed from the players. I'm expecting to be quite a bottleneck, as I can post only at night and expect to have to do some work between posts.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Well, I wouldn't be able to post more than 3-4 times in the average week due to inconsistent internet access, but if you are already going to be slowed by your game preparation it may not make to much of a difference. I would be willing to try it.
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Thanks, that's good.

Please, start here to check the classes available.

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/~fr ... brary.html

I am still in the process of updating these with a few changes, but if you choose for flavour you can at least get a headstart.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ail wrote:Thanks, that's good.

I am still in the process of updating these with a few changes, but if you choose for flavour you can at least get a headstart.
not sure where you got that link. Were you looking for this, perhaps?

http://fraternityofshadows.com/DrawingR ... Death.html
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Ail wrote:Thanks, that's good.

not sure where you got that link. Were you looking for this, perhaps?

http://fraternityofshadows.com/DrawingR ... Death.html
Thanks Ron. No, that's not what I meant, I wanted the library section. But now I link to the proper file I'd like.

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Libr ... lasses.pdf
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Looking at the classes listed, I would most like to play a pastor or a dandy (depending on the group as a whole). Let me know when we're ready to start.
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hi Alastor,

be warned that I am making changes to the classes, in general to increase their interest. In the case of the Parson, although I give it one more ability, I reduce its hp to d6, as all the other intellectuals.

The group so far has only 3 people, and I am looking for one more to start. If you please, send me a PM with a mail where I can contact you: I'd like to send out rules revisions early next week, possibly.

Thanks for your interest :)
patthelost
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by patthelost »

Never even looked at MotRD stuff before but going over he classes and the period UK School idea has sparked a bit of an interest. How long you think til you would be starting your game?
Oh and Hi! :) Im Pat by the way :)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the interest. I have one final spot open. Currently, all I'm waiting for is to receive the player's sheets.

I don't expect the game to be fast moving, but it should start soon after I have all the PC's info. Maybe in November?

Do tell me if you're interested.
patthelost
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by patthelost »

Yeah, not a setting ive been a part of before and i am pretty heavily involved in another game on here but have plenty of time on my hands so the speen being variable works for me! I have to look over the PC classes again and figure what id like to roleplay and i may need a hand with the creation if you dont mind, again new to the setting etc... Is there a resource with a Character sheet i can work off of? If so i should be able to wing it and you can just alter what you feel necessary, and from there i will just need to know what style you prefer for rolling stats etc.. and levels or whatnot... anyways, cool beans! I will go reread the player types and get the ball rolling! :) Thanx buddy!

Additional stupid question: Is there a spell book resource for GE on here? Thinking some type of adept and would like to look around at whats available before i settle on something.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hi Pat,

first of all, thank you for jumping in. :)
And second, let me try to answer your questions.
I'd like you to send me a pm with a mail address where I can write to you, so that I can send you notes more easily. I would send you the mail I sent to the other players already.
Regarding the classes, I recommend the following netbook made by Jonathan Winters, a user of these forums:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Libr ... lasses.pdf

We also will be using the following web enhancement for Masque:

http://fraternityofshadows.com/TheParlo ... ement.html

The main rules are 3.5, and there is a Masque of the Red Death 3.5 campaign setting. That will be the main reference for things about the world (except for classes), but since it is a comercial product, you will have to acquire it for yourself, or borrow from someone. The most important thing there for you would be the new feats, skills and equipment, probably. There is also a restricted list of spells, but probably no new spells. You should also know about the take on magic, as it is completely different (and much harsher) than on usual D&D. however, it can also be very interesting.

The character sheets are normal 3.5 sheets. I recommend you use myth-weavers.com to build one. But yes, I can give you a help with creation, certainly.

Starting level is 3. For hit points, the first die is maximized. Stats are rolled using a 4d6, drop the lowest die, distribute all 6 values among the stats at will. And I don't know of any spell book resource, I'm afraid. But maybe there is something in the wide net.

All the best.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

And, in a few words, what kind of MotRD campaign will that be?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hi Joel,

what do you mean what kind? I don't mean it to be a campaign, hopefully just a short aventure. I would not like to give details away, so could you be more precise?
:)