The original "Red ____" Trilogy (Spoilers)

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The original "Red ____" Trilogy (Spoilers)

Post by The Lesser Evil »

So recently I was reading up on the original Gothic Earth campaign setting for a steampunk Victorian-era game I'm running, and I came upon the trio of "Red ____" adventures from the original Masque of the Red Death boxed set. I did a search but haven't found much in the part of actual play experience of these. How did these play out for everybody?

I also had a specific question, in the first, "Red Jack" adventure, did I miss something or was it never spelled out what/who killed the primary murderer Jeanne Witherspoon? I'm guessing this was deliberately left vague for DMs to fill in later? If so, who or what did you make responsible for her death?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The original "Red ____" Trilogy (Spoilers)

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I've never run them, since I've never run Masque. But I really like "Red Death" a lot and have considered finding a way to fit it into Ravenloft proper so I can put it in my campaign.

I think you're right regarding Jeanne. It specifically says something "unnamed" killed her, and I don't see any attempt to fill in the blank in the module.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."