Discussing Masque of the Red Death
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Victorian Findings

Post by William Blackmoor »

Two things I discovered while wandering the dark corners of the internet today:

Sherlock Holmes Audio
A webpage where old radio-recordings of Sherlock Holmes-Adventures can be downloaded for free:
http://www.storiesnow.com/holmes
I especially liked the 'Further Advetures' section as it contains 'pastiches' not writen by Arthur Conan Doyle, which are therefore not as well known to my players.

The Terror
And for people who are interested into artic exploration, "The Terror" by Dan Simmons might be the read to pick up. The mammoth book describes the Franklin-Expedition and adds some supernatural elements to it.

(from Amazon) "Simmons brings the horrific trials and tribulations of arctic exploration vividly to life in this beautifully written historical, which injects a note of supernatural horror into the 1840s Franklin expedition and its doomed search for the Northwest Passage. Sir John Franklin, the leader of the expedition and captain of the Erebus, is an aging fool. Francis Crozier, his second in command and captain of the Terror, is a competent sailor, but embittered after years of seeing lesser men with better connections given preferment over him. With their two ships quickly trapped in pack ice, their voyage is a disaster from start to finish. Some men perish from disease, others from the cold, still others from botulism traced to tinned food purchased from the lowest bidder. Madness, mutiny and cannibalism follow. And then there's the monstrous creature from the ice, the thing like a polar bear but many times larger, possessed of a dark and vicious intelligence."

I haven't read it myself yet, but i'll probably get myself the audiobook version (in German, unabridged, 29 hours read by Detlef Biersted , the german voice of Commander Riker from ST:NG).
If anyone here has read it I would be grateful if you would let me know what you think of the book and if the end is satisfing to the reader (spoiler welcome, I'm one of the people who reads the end of the book before picking it up ;) ).

Best Wishes
William
The Gem of Amara...
Official sponsor, of my killing you.