Where Can I Find a Copy of MOTRD For 2nd Edition Rules?

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Rathbone
Conspirator
Conspirator

Where Can I Find a Copy of MOTRD For 2nd Edition Rules?

Post by Rathbone »

I'm currently running a Ravenloft campaign for a small group of players and I have an inkling that they'll love MOTRD even more than the Domain of Dread. We're going to be quite a while in Ravenloft but I like to think long-term (and as we're playing as a family there's no danger of our group moving on...well, until the kids leave home but that won't be for a while yet).

Is there anywhere I might be able to find a copy of the boxed set? I had the opportunity to buy it when it first came out but, having bought all of the Ravenloft box sets in a short space of time I probably had box set fatigue! Also, the group of players I was with at the time were all desperate to DM their own games and I probably realised that I'd be lucky to even get my money's worth out of Ravenloft let alone MOTRD. Now, with a much more stable group of players, all of whom are happy for me to DM until the cows come home, I have the luxury of really getting my teeth into this hobby to the extent that I haven't enjoyed since I was a teenager.

I've looked on eBay for MOTRD but the people who sell RPGs on there either have a very good sense of humour or they need to get a little perspective on just how little money most of us have to spend on our hobbies. So, I'm wondering now if there are any decent second hand sellers of RPGs. I'm in the North West of England so I'd be looking in the area of Manchester, Liverpool, North Wales and Cheshire - don't really want to drive any further than that.

There used to be a place in Liverpool that was excellent for 2nd hand RPGs (I think it was called The Palace but it's long gone now).

I'd really appreciate some help with my search. I've been reading about the game lately and my mind is already whirling with the possibilities for adventure!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Where Can I Find a Copy of MOTRD For 2nd Edition Rules?

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Ebay would be my recommendation for a physical copy. The prices are whatever the market is able to bear. These days, it's hard to get a great secret deal from a local store, because if they can make more money by putting it on ebay, they will.

But if you don't mind digital, the Masque boxed set is available as an official pdf from drivethru...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/127 ... r-Tales-2e
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rathbone
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rathbone »

Many thanks.

With hindsight I realise that was a pretty stupid remark of me to make with regards to the prices on eBay. The folk who sell stuff on there are trying to make money and if they've managed to keep something that is now out of print in perfect nick for all these years, then they should expect to get a fair few quid for it.

I'm not keen on digital, to be honest, as I run my games "old school" around a table with a DM screen and all the rest of it. If I downloaded it, I'd have to then print it off which would be a headache in itself. No, I'll just put this idea on the shelf for the moment (we have a while to go yet with Ravenloft) and buy it when the time is right (by which point, the price will have probably tripled!). Until then, I shall continue reading about the game here, to further stoke my imagination.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, you might be able to get it printed at a local print shop, if you can prove that you've purchased the digital copy. I'm not sure, as I haven't tried doing that, but it may be less total cost than the hard copy.

Otherwise, you may have to wait until the right moment and strike. I often put in an ebay saved search to email me when a certain item comes up. The copies that are up now may be out of your desired price range, but you never know when someone else might put one up. If you catch one that's cheap before anyone else does, then great! If you're patient enough to wait, sometimes you can still get a good deal, even these days, especially if you're willing to grab something that's a little beat up. You're right that the ones still in shrink will almost always fetch high prices, but a solid used one might be more reasonable.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, you might be able to get it printed at a local print shop, if you can prove that you've purchased the digital copy. I'm not sure, as I haven't tried doing that, but it may be less total cost than the hard copy.

Otherwise, you may have to wait until the right moment and strike. I often put in an ebay saved search to email me when a certain item comes up. The copies that are up now may be out of your desired price range, but you never know when someone else might put one up. If you catch one that's cheap before anyone else does, then great! If you're patient enough to wait, sometimes you can still get a good deal, even these days, especially if you're willing to grab something that's a little beat up. You're right that the ones still in shrink will almost always fetch high prices, but a solid used one might be more reasonable.
I've printed a pdf or two.

For around 20$ , at the time. So it might be worth it.

I usually do mine at Staples.