Realms of Dread, Interlude 2

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ironheart, in a lousy tavern near the docks

The table creaks as the two big men arm-wrestle. Ironheart's oponent, a mahogany-skinned Turmishite, is beginning to falter. Sweat drops run down the faces of both men.

CRUNCH

The Turmishite groans in pain as the bones of his hand are crushed in the islander's iron grip.

ARRRRGGGHHH!!

Ironheart easily forces the other man's hand into the table.
The other man falls back into his seat, cradling his crushed appendage.

The barbarian grimaces and whistles through his teeth.

''Ahh...I win again. Good.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil grins at the news of the 2 irrecoverable spells.

"This idiot will pay for that...it's all his fault! He should be very careful for now on...If I see him will show him what means to be an evoker!"

Glancing down to Glim realizes that he might get the wrong idea of her.

"I'll not try anything stupid swear. Just a mage hand will toss him things or he will walk on grease etc..."

Getting serious again Inovidil continues:

"Can you please tell me which spells are irrecoverable please Glim? And will be really great if you have those missing too."

Inovidil makes a small pause because she was up to ask a great favour and she knew it.

"But honestly I'm here to ask you a bigger favour. I think you have heard the baron's ruling, I have to pay 5000 gold crowns in 3 days if I want to get my spellbook and magical items back. I don't have these money on me of course and none of my friends either. So I wander if you have a way to contact my father in Waterdeep. He is a wizard and I want to ask him to come here and give me some money. If you have the spell I could prepare it directly from your spellbook and contact him tomorrow morning or if you don't trust me with it you can contact my father yourself if you want. To get the rest of the money I'll try to find someone to craft an item. I can craft many wondrous items and I'll just ask half payment before hand and the rest after finishing the item. Do you have anyone in mind that might be interested in a magical item or enchanted item Glim?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

the gnomish smithy and shop

''Oh, I don't have a spell to reach someone in Waterdeep, I'm afraid. That's very far away!

I used my mending spells and did some by-hand work, too. It's almost as good as new. Like I said, I estimate two spells missing. The Baron's men have your book now. I did think to make a list of your spells, though. ''

He hands Ino a list, written in his neat little script. Two spells are indeed missing: detect magic and mirror image.

In response to Inovidil's question abour magic item creation for pay-

''Ah, yes! Actually, we're coming into a very big contract. I can bring you in on it. You can keep your fair share of the money. When can you begin helping? ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana smiles at the acolyte

"is master Alfane here? I wonder if I might speak with him."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Shana smiles at the acolyte

"is master Alfane here? I wonder if I might speak with him."
''Oh, sure! Let me run and get him for you, mistress.''

The boy isn't joking about running, either! He's off in a flash. Minutes later, he returns with Thumast Alfane.

The handsome priest strides over to Shana. He makes eye contact and smiles.

''Well-met, Mistress Shana. How is it I can help you?''

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise walks slowly around the waiting area, hands clasped behind his back. He's not surprised by the "delay," believing it to be a minor display of authority by Ildool or his minions, and he knows that he'd likely do the same if the tables were turned.

Still, he realizes that he may be under observation, so he presents an air of nonchalance. In his mind, though, he reaches out with his arcane senses, just to lessen the risk of surprises.

OOC: Blaise will use his at-will detect magic ability, focusing first on the doorway opposite the one through which he entered, and then examining as much of the area as possible. He also invokes see the unseen.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil sighs when heard the news about the contact of her father and her spells.

"This is too bad. But I can always try to get a scroll from the temple of Lathander or another good deity. As about my spells, do you have them Glim? When everything is over may I get them to my spellbook? Among this tragedy I'm happy that are only low level and I will not need much time to replace them."

When the gnome said about the contract Inovidil finally smiles.

"This is great news! I can start tomorrow morning, any time works for me. Just tell me what I have to craft and where we will meet."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana smiles, and [assuming we are in private]

"You've seen the outcome of the trial? I was wondering first if you had any news of Rardi. I wouldn't necessarily want anything specific... but a general reassurance she was okay would be most welcome!

You'll have seen the news about the fine as well. I believe that it has been set so high so that Ino will be unable to pay it, and her ability to oppose such people in future will be crippled by the loss of her spellbook. Ino has the ability to raise the money throuhg crafting magic items, but it will take longer than three days by a fair amount. Would it be at all possible for the temple to help in the short term?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Ildool's mansion

Blaise detects a modertately strong aura of magic around the doorway through which he had entered the room. Examining the aura further, Blaise detects a hint of gold in the shifting colors of the air, a sure sign of abjuration magic. Shimmering strands or streaks of silvery-gray run through the air of the doorway and into the room; these indicate some sort of information gathering spell at work.

The contents of the parlor itself seem mundane, if expensive. The baron has good taste in decoration by conventional Cormyte standards; rich tapestries depicting pastoral and hunting scenes, graceful hardwood furniture [locally made, no doubt- Marsember is a well-known center for fine woodwork], illuminated books for the enjoyment of waiting guests, a silver ewer and matching goblets for water and wine.

After an hour or so, Blaise no longer has to amuse himself. Lord Ildool enters. With him are the graybearded man, Bailiff Davos, and two hulking guards [both armed with swords and dagger, and wearing light shirts of mail].

The baron takes a seat on one of the fine couches of the parlor. He motions for the others to be seated, as well.

''Master Zilfarrik, how nice it is to see you again. What can I do to help you today...or have you come to discuss history?''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Threan Bros. shop-

Glim listens as Ino explains about her missing spells and asks him about the contract job.

''I can give you a copy of the spell to detect magic, but I don't know that other spell you're missing. I'll glady swap spells with you. Judging by your book, you're more accomplished than I in the arcane arts. Of course, I know more than just wizardly magics...''

The little gnome smiles broadly.

'''Now, then, the job! You should come in tomorrow morning. If you can make it an hour or so past dawn, you can have breakfast with us, here at the shop. As for the items you'll be making- what are you skilled at crafting? There are a few things I need done, I'm sure I can find something for you.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Morningmist Hall, Alfane's office, Shana

''No news of Rardi, and none expected. I'm afraid she has chosen to run away and stay gone. That's probably the best for her. I'm sorry, I know that she is your friend. We should be thankful that she is free. I pray for her safety and good fortune. I will let you know if I have any word from her.''

Thumast frowns at the mention of the large fine.
He opens a drawer in his big desk, rummages around, and comes out with a small coffer. He hands it to Shana. It is rather heavy for its size.

''That's all the money I have. Please take it as a gift from me. Come back tomorrow around noon and I'll get you more, out of the church funds. We may not be able to cover the whole fine- but we can cover a substantial part of it, I think. The church monies will need to be repaid, of course. I'll make certain you are charged no interest on the loan.''

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil's smile get even bigger as the gnome told her that she can replace at least one of her missing spells.

"Thank you Glim! Will be great swap spells with you. I'll try to get a scroll of mirror image or get it from another wizard in town. It's a common spell so guess will not be to hard to find it. I'll be here 1 hour after dawn! You can count on that! I can craft all wondrous items. To be honest I prefer to craft one that we can sell expensive, don't get me wrong I just want the money as soon as possible. The spellbook is essential to me."
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Inovidil's smile get even bigger as the gnome told her that she can replace at least one of her missing spells.

"Thank you Glim! Will be great swap spells with you. I'll try to get a scroll of mirror image or get it from another wizard in town. It's a common spell so guess will not be to hard to find it. I'll be here 1 hour after dawn! You can count on that! I can craft all wondrous items. To be honest I prefer to craft one that we can sell expensive, don't get me wrong I just want the money as soon as possible. The spellbook is essential to me."
''Of course. We'll talk more about the job after breakfast tomorrow. I recommend you go home and get plenty of sleep. Eat a good supper tonight, too.''

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes I will, thank you very much Glim. I appreciate very much your help. See you tomorrow morning."

With that Inovidil exits the smith shop and heads to the temple of MorningLord to meet with Shana.
- W H A T ! ? !
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Militia Headquarters, a little later that same afternoon
ewancummins wrote: Watch-Captain Rask looks up from his desk, rubbing his eyes, as Alain raps at the open door of the office.

''Alain? Come in, come in, son. What can I do to help you?''
Alain walks into the captains office, looking at Rask with determination in his eyes.
"Captain, I have found them!" The writer says excitedly. After a moment or two of staring into Rasks expressionless face, Alain begins to ramble.
"The Demon Children! I know where they are! You see, I was out the other night, trying to find the others when I sort of blacked out. I was a bit under the spirits mind you, but anyway, when I cam to I was in a darkened building completely surrounded by the beastly little creatures! I managed to escape to see that the building was under watch by two men. Unfortunately I was not able to identify who they where, but I made a mental not as to where the building was and made my way back to the inn. I ran into a strange boatman as well, but that is beside the point." He takes a moment to catch his breath before leaning forward, resting his hands on the captain's desk.
"Sir, I can lead the watch to the location! Granted, they have probably somehow escaped, but there has to be some sort of evidence that was left behind. Do you know what this means? Whoever attacked the city must still be inside the city limits! Or else I would have most certainly been eaten..." His voice trails off as his thoughts wander at the prospects pf such an undesirable outcome.