Realms of Dread Chapter Two

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana will attempt to fade into the background, invisibly if necessary. She certainly is not prepared to have any of her stuff searched. She seems a little bemused about the quiet surrender...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rardi and Ino have their hands bound [not too tightly, but still securely tied] and the militiamen confiscate their equipment, as well as anything that had been taken from Delthrin's house.

The man to whom Ino has shown the rings goggles a bit, looking at it.

''Hey! That looks like Lord Scoril's seal.''

One of his companions shrugs and says-

''So? Maybe she stole it. Besides, Lord Scoril is dead, bless his soul. Lord Ildool is Baron now, and I don't see no ring of his on her pretty hands. ''

Chuckles all around.

The man tying hands says to Ino, in a voice that's almost kind,

''If you are innocent, you'll go free. If not...don't think a dead man's ring or a tin star will keep you from getting what's coming to you, miss.''

As Shana tries to sneak away, a voice calls out to warn the Bailiff-

''That one on the right is trying to escape!''

The voice was coming from a shadowy outcropping of rocks a short distance away from the line of armed men atop the bluff. It sounds familiar to Shana [and to the others of her party]....

The Bailiff's men shine bullseye lanterns on the red-haired sorceress-

The Bailiff warns her-

''Take one more step, or seem to cast a spell, and my men will shoot you stone dead, witch. I'm not joking. ''
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Scuse me, but you just said these others are innocent and can go free as long as they don't interfere with our arrest. That lady just wants to leave, so let her. You want us, you got us. Your job here is done."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"Scuse me, but you just said these others are innocent and can go free as long as they don't interfere with our arrest. That lady just wants to leave, so let her. You want us, you got us. Your job here is done."
The Bailiff speaks loudly enough that you all can hear him.

''I am going to search all of your party before releasing anyone. If any of you object, just let me know. We can just as easily search your corpses. ''

The Bailiff's men keep their weapons trained on the party. The men near Rardi and Ino aim their loaded crossbows right at the two women. Their fingers are awfully close to the triggers...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi looks directly at the Bailiff. "Scuse me, but yer threatenin them who's innocent? An I severely doubt Inovidil stealed that ring. She received with other members of her party from the Lord himself, ye dolt. Now, let them go, you have us and have no reason to bother these people. Y'even said they could go on their merry way earlier. Ye sayin yer not a fair nor honorable man, bub?"

Rardi tries to get a good look at the familiar voice's face.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil grins at the guard's comment about her ring:

"You may believe that I have stolen it, but when in front of justice the truth will be out you will have to excuse yourselves for your matters."

Pointing to Shana continues:

"My friend has the same ring as me, as long as the red haired man. Do you really think that all of us have stolen them? And what if I tell you that we have more friends that have the same rings with us? If you don't believe me ask Captain Rask of the militia or go back to Cormyr and ask there who we are, I'm sure you will find many people there who know us and what our group have achieved. Or you can always ask a cleric. There are many divination spells that can tell that we are saying the truth. You just has to pick which way you want to learn he facts."

Inovidil speaks always very calm and confident without any sign if fear.

"So are we ready to go?"

As speaking Inovidil looks around trying to spot where is the one with the familiar voice and at the same time figure out who is he.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana smiles politely, and stands still, but her eyes are cold. As the bailiff turns his gaze back to the two captives, without any warning she vanishes from sight.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Knowing that the bailliff will be distracted slightly by the disappearance of Shana, Rardi whispers Inovidil's name. When Ino looks at Rardi she looks at her hands, showing her an item in each of her hands.

Pm on way to ewan and Van.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Bailiiff answers Rardi's words-

''Shut your filthy mouth, you scum- I won't be mocked and lectured by a murderer who hides behind a badge! You killed Delthrin- but we're giving you more of a chance than you gave him. No more tricks or babbling- comply with my orders, now!''

Then, Shana vanishes. Someone cries out-

''MAGIC!''
...and all hell breaks loose!

The man in front of Rardi looses a bolt straight into her chest. The force of the strike is enough to drive the wind from the dwarf's lungs. The spearman standing near him steps forward and stabs Rardi in the leg, opening a nasty cut on her right thigh.

Ino feels an impact in her left flank. The kindly-voiced man has struck her with his dagger. She can see his face as he drives the blade into her- his eyes are wild with fear! Then, a split second later, the man in front of her jerks the trigger of his crossbow, and she's struck in the right arm.

The archers and crossbowmen on the low bluff concentrate fire on Blaise and Ironheart. Blaise is lightly wounded, but Ironheart is hit worse. The big man has caught a pair of bolts with his chest, and he begins to cough up blood even as he screams and thrashes, entering a berserker rage!

The Bailiff shouts an order-

''Strike down any who don't surrender!''

Something blurs across the beach sand, a small figure leaping from shadow to shadow among the rocks and grass clumps. The thing is blurry in outline, and hard to identify. It lands in a patch of deep darkness not far from the two prisoners[ Ino and Rardi]. Suddenly, Ino and Rardi are deaf- and mute! Silence falls across them like a heavy blanket.

The rest of you can hear and speak as normal- but no one can hear anything from Rardi and Ino, or the men close to them.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana emerges from invisibility having moved swiftly to some cover: a shimering disc of force hangs in front of her, flicking left and right to deflect any arrows or blows directed at her. She lifts her hand and calls out in a clear voice:

"You say we have killed Delthrin the Deadmaster? If that is false, you are attacking innocents. If it is true... what chance do YOU have of defeating us?"

With that she sends a volley of sparkling missiles which curve towards the Bailiff, but burst in the air short of him: clearly intended as a warning shot.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The men have just enough time to stare a moment in fright and confusion at Shana's display of magic, when a more mundane threat manifests.

Ironheart has worked himself up into a fine frenzy, and is howling like a madman, running towards the cliff with his arms outstretched and hands open wide! With a running start, the huge warrior makes an impressive salmon leap, and lands midway up the wall of stone, grabbing hold of the rough stone face and beginning to climb. He growls and grunts as he moves upward at an alarming pace!

Just as Ironheart scrambles to the top, one of the boys swings his lantern into Ironheart's back, smashing the glass and spilling burning oil over the fur-clad savage. Another man, standing near the brave lantern boy, steps fowards and shoves his spear into Ironheart's chest- knocking the burning barbarian off the bluff- a fall of more than a dozen feet onto the rough, rocky base of the bluffs.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Bailiff, seeing his men waver a bit at Shana's display and threats, acts quickly to rally his troops.

''Ha, she fears to blast us, for she knows that we are going to win this fight! For the good old Rock, my brave boys, and for fair Cormyr!''

The men on the cliff raise a loud cheer:

''CORMYR, CORMYR, CORMYR!''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Blaise throws down his pack and holds his hands over his head.

''I surrender- stop shooting- I surrender!''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi places herself between the arrows and Inovidil. She looks at the mage and motions her to put her hands up, doing so as well.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Seeing Rardi raise her hands, the constables on the beach immediately cease attacking her. They still keep their weapons at the ready. No one on the cliffs is aiming at her, either- they are concentrating on Shana and Ironheart.