Running against the time

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I have been with Brethan in a strange plane named Ravenloft and we haev passed many adventures together. She has saved my life once and I do want to pay her back. I'm definately in at whatever you ask sir." Says Inovidil with determination.

"I don't know Brethana very well, but I consider her a friend and a very worthy fighter. I'll do what necessary too." Says Kel.

"I'm a cleric of Pelor and I have promised to my god to help the people in need. I'll do even more for a friend and a companion."Says Reand.

"So I guess, all of you agree to have this kind of test in order to prove your virtues. This is very good." Says the lich and he looks alll of them another time. Then he continues.

"I want you to go to Undermountain, find an abbandoned temple od Cyric and get a book from there. Be careful though, the templke will have traps and for sure there will be guards."

"A book? It might be a spellbook!" Thinks Inovidil.

"No Inovidil, it's not a spellbook. It's an ancinet book with rituals. You cannot do them right now, but a day I'm sure you will. Any other questions?" Says Belagadon.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Belagadon smiles at Inovidil's eagerness. "Oh to be young again! But alas this is not the case anymore" he winks. "These spells will help in curing your friend Brethana of which only I can cast. When you have learned more and are ready, these spells you will be able to learn. For now, be patient, Inovidil. All things come to pass when they are supposed to".

He pauses then continues. "This Undermountain is accessed via many places, but the most common one is through the Yawning Portal Inne of which a good man, Durnan is the proprietor. He allows adventurer's to pass through a portal into Undermountain. It is not as easy place to go, but I deem you worthy as well as capable." He stops.

"Pardon me, sir, but maybe I or Jarg might be useful in going first with our talents. Have you some kind of map for us as I do not think we want to get lost during our quest." Elvira says.

Belagadon smiles. "Do not leave just yet, I may have something which may help you in your quest. As well I think you may need a little help so I shall arrange it for you. Just sit tight a few moments, I will return with somethin g very useful as wekk as my crystal ball". With that he leaves the room and comes back within 2 minutes.

In his hand is his crystal ball. He deposes it on the table and bids the party to approach. Uttering a few arcane phrases the ball seems to come to life, and everyone sees a forest. As he concentrates, it seems to travel. It stops and in the distance they see a figure. It approaches and as it gets closer the party all recognize Brethana. A bird flies over her and suddenly she flals to her knees and starts to rip her clothing off, yelling in pain. SLowly she transforms into a Werewolf and runs back the way she came.

Belagadon looks up "She is lucky she only has been finding animals thus far. If she would have made it to the route it would have been bad for her. Quickly take this" he hands Renad a pouch. "She needs to eat this every time her trigger occurs. I think it is a bird as I have been watching her." He reaches into his robe and pulls out a small stick. handing it to Inovidil he says "Once you leave this tower and get out of the monastery, everyone hold onto each other and Inovidil. Just break it Inovidil and it will take you to the last place you saw Brethana." He reaches again into his robe and removes a vial. handing it over to Jarg he says "When you get close enough to her, the others can distract her and you can sneak behind her and toss the dust on her. She will fall asleep. Now hurry you musn't tarry!" HE ushers them out of the library and down the stairs. As they are about to leave he calls out "Once you find the book, hurry back here as fast as you can! Here is a map!" And he tosses down a scroll case which Elvira catches and puts in her packsack.

The party leaves the tower and the monastery and as soon as they are out of it, everyone gathers together without a word and holding onto each other, Inovidil nods, and snaps the stick. Sure enough they all reappear where they last saw Brethana in the crystal ball.

Thalar hurriedly picks up her belongings and hands them out to everyone. "Now we don't want to hurt her and noone can get bitten or scratched by her so everyone be careful. I am going to track her so let's go!"

They follow Thalar into the forest.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I can try to make her trip, so it will be more difficult to bite us. " says Kel.

"Pay attaention brother, Breathana has become even more stronger noww, so maybe it will not be so easy to trip her." Sasy Inovidil.

"I'll try to hold her with a spell. She will not get harmed, she will be only paralyzed for a while and Jarg will toss her the dust." Says Ranad.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Following Thalar , the party jogs through the forest. After almost an hour of Thalar stopping and looking, then moving on, he looks back to the party with a grim face. "I fear she is close by. Listen closely you can hear her eating. Thank the gods this is deep forest and not a town. I pray we can overcome her" he says.

Indeed the party do hear what seems to be an animal devouring something. Moving quietly, they follow Thalar until he holds his hand up for them to stop. Looking to the others he nods straight ahead where the noise seemed to be coming from but has suddenly stopped. Pointing to Kel he motions him to come to him and moves aside nodding to Kel to do the same.Removing a blanket he nods to Kel and hands him one side. A sudden movement in the brush erupts and a huge werewolf emerges snarling and growling. Looking at Inovidil it howls and jumps at her. The witch stands frozen in fear, but Thalar and Kel hold onto the blanket as they cover the thing with it. Both of them can barely contain the lycan. "Hurry Jarg! Renad cast something!!!!". As Renad fumbles with his Symbol Jarg moves quickly sliding under the 2 fighters and openign the vial he quicly reaches under the blanket and sprinkles the dust on Brethana, narrowly missing getting clawed!

The blanket seems to shrink as both Thalar and Kel realise that Brethana struggles no more. Thalar removes the blanket hurriedly, seeing Brethana change from lupine to elf form. He sighs out loud, relived to having found her alive. "Guys get me her gear please" he says as he covers her gently in the blanket waiting for her equipment. Delicately he moves the hair from her face. She blinks once. Then again. Slwoly opening her eyes, she focuses. "Thalar? Is it really you?"

"Yes it's me, Brethana and the others too." he says with a serious face. It looks like he is struggling to say something but cannot speak.

Jarg lays a hand on Thalar's shoulder and squeezes it. "Hey it's going to turn out fine, uderstood?"

Elvira approaches them with a worried look "Are you okay Brethana? We were so worried! How do you feel?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Brethan! Are you ok? Are yopu hurt?" Asks Renad as he gets closer to the elf.

"Happy to find you alive and not in trouble Brethana." Says Kel.

"Ah, Brethana we were so worried about you. But don't worry we will manage to cure you and you will become...normal again." Says Inovidil as goes and hugs her friend.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Brethana looks confused "Normal? The only thing odd is I wake up after screaming agony and a blackout. I kept waking up in this cave. NOw I wake up naked? Here? What is going on!!!" Brethana feels really odd with everyone looking at her with concerned or worried faces.

She starts to breath hard then controlling herself she stays calm just barely. Looking to Inovidil she says "OK whats going on here? Tell me please! Why am I blakcing out and waking up naked ????????"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Well, you... you are a werewolf now Brethana. Do you remember? A strange wolf has bitten you some time ago and he has infected you.For this reason you are not remember anything because you were transformed." Says Inovidil.

"But don't worry, we haev gotten to a lich and he told us that you eat belladonna every morning, so it will be more difficult to turn a werewolf again. Also we decided to do a quest for him, he wants us to bring his a book. Then he will help us cure you." Says Renad.

"You will be just fine Brethna. Everyone accepted with pleasure to help you." Says Kel.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"A WereWolf!!!!!!! Me????" Brethana yells. "But the Wolf only bit me. You can help me? SO this is why I black out?" She tries to relax but is having a hard time "A Lich? HEy!!! That's evil!!!!" Brethana starts tp breath hard and growl, not to shift but to rage. Renad grips his symbol and concentrates, then touches Brethana. She calms down.

"Renad give her the belladonna please. It will be good for the day." Thalar says. Sure enough Renad gets some from the pouch the Baelnorn gave him and gives it to Brethana. She looks inquisitively at Renad and he just mimics to her of eating, and she does, slightly confused. Thalar breathes a sigh of relief. Elvira doesn't know what to do or say so stays quiet, standing by Inovidil.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Calm down Brethana, I know that it was a shock for you. But believe me you were very brave to leave like that, otherwise you should have attacked us!" Says Inovidil.

"Yes Brethana, the werewolves attack the people they love most. When we find you, with the lich's help, you hwere about to attack Inovidil!" Says REand.

"Yes, me and Thalr have hard time to avoid that! We got you in a blanket and then Jarg tosses you a dust Belagadon gave us." Says Kel.

At Brethana's quizical look, Inovidil says:

"Belagadon is the lich. He is a good one, trust me. He is a Baelron, and he was an elf once. My father knew him and when we got at his secret tower he gave us the belladonna and helped us find you and get here too. When we get him the book he wants from a secret temple, he will say to us how to cure you. You will be ok Brethana, I promise you that."
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I am a Werewolf???" Brethana shies away from everyone, not sure what to do.

Renad hands Brethana some herbs. "Eat this it will prevent you from changing. You have to eat some every morning, understood? It does not mean you are cured it only means it will prevent yopu from changing"

Brethana takes the belladonna and eats it.

"Now we have to go to Waterdeep and this Inne the Yawning Portal and go under Waterdeep into Undermountain to find a book in some lost temple of Cyric, an evil God. Then we need to take the book back to Belagadon." Thalar explains.

"I have a map here Brethana, so we know where to go once there" Elvira offers.

With some reluctance, Brethana goes with her friends, fearful of changing into a monster, but happy to be with her friends again.

They travel to Waterdeep and after asking around, find the Inne and enter. Heading for the bar, they ask to enter Undermountain.

"No problems. Understand that onfe you are in, you are on your own until the next day same time, as I only open the portal once per day at the same time. You almost missed it."

HE moves from behind the bar and heads towards the back on the Inne and opens a door. Stairs lead down and the party follows him. He arrives at another door and removing a key from his apron, unlocks the door and steps back. "Here ya go. Now next time I see ya is tomorrow at same time or any day after that the same time"

The party passes him and descends into Undermountain. Durnan locks the door behind them.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

As they enter both Inovdad Reand cast light s they can see better. The party walks for neary an hur wthut encounterng anythng. Then they fnd themseves befre a bg tempe.

"I thnths is t. Says Inovidl. Wat a few moments to prepare myself."

"I'll do it too" Says Renad

Both Spellcasters pass severa moments castng spe n them. Finaly Reand tuches Kel's body and says:

"Now you are stronger Kel."

"Yes,I feell it thanks Renad."

"We should pay attention, Belagadon said that there are tra in here. So Elvira and Jarg do you min check the temple's entrance for traps?" Says Renad.

OOC> Inovidil has casted mage armor, mirror image and shield.

Renad has casted bull strength, prayer and devine favor.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Both Elvira and Jarg approach the broken down Temple's door. Each take their turn inspecting it closely, meticulously looking it over as well as the door frame and the floor in front of the door. Sure enough Jarg whispers something to Elvira and she nods to him, pointing to the floor. "Stand back everyone" Jarg says.

The party as well as Elvira does too. Jarg removes a pouch from within his tunic and takes an instrument from it. Carefully he appraiches the wall without stepping on the floor in front of the door. Using the "tool" he seems to be stciking it in the wall and turning it then pushing then turning. Sure enough there is an audible click and Jarg steps away from the wall. The floor in front of the door slides open . Jarg smiles and looks to Elvira then the others. "Good job Elvira, you saw the same thing I did. Ok just let me disarm it now, and we are good to go. There are not any more traps here." Jarg fiddles again with his "tool" and the floor slides back into place. HE gently puts his foot on it to test it. Secure in his knowledge that the trap id disarmed, he steps on the floor in fron of the door now. Testing the door he finds it is locked. Elvira approaches just in case he needs help. He smiles at her then after he puts away his "tool" removes another. He fiddles with the lock and the tumbler goes click. Now he puts away his "tool" and opens the door.

HE looks inside and looks back to Elvira then the party. Noddingonce, he enters and Elvira looks in. Looking back she nods as well and beckons with a hand to follow and the party does just that.

They pass through a dusty hallway with dimly lit torches on the wall "I think those are lit magically guys" Inovidil says. Jarg is waiting for them in front of a metallic door .

" I saw a few on here, Elvira. Guys give us a few minutes and we can pass through here into the Temple proper, according ot the map we were given."

So Jarg and Elvira bedn to the task using some of their "tools" they disarm several traps, taking their time. Finally after almost 30 minutes, Elvira looks up and smiles. "We can pass now, I unlocked the door and there are no more traps."

Listening at the door, Jarg frowns. Whispering to Elvira and the others "I think something is moving in there. I heard feet scraping but no voices. Renad this was a Temple of Cyric right? What might we expect to find inside? Some dead things?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil waves her hands and everybody except Elvira feels the the energy at their bodies.

Renad gets his holly symbol and parys to Pelor. Everybody feel more lucky.

"I think we are ready to go inside." Says Kel and steps in the main room.

The room is very big and has many piles that support the ceiling. There also two doors one of each side. The fighter has time to see nothing more since 2 zombies make a great jump, get beside him and attack him with their clubs.

Another zombie makes a jump and attacks Thalar who was behind the fighter.

Kel attacks twice with his sword the first zombie, and manages to cut it two pieces. Then with his third attack slashes the 2nd one.

A skeleton with a briets plate and a spear appears behind a pile and moving farward pierces Kel.

Inovidil who hold the light despite she is rather back manage to see 3 more skeletons 2 with spears and one with scimitar coming towards them.

"There are many skeletons here and I bet there are more hidden behind the piles. Pay attenntion!" Says teh evoker.

OOC> Inovidil has casted haste and Reand prayer.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The rest of the party enter as Thalar and Kel battle the undead. Thalar gets hit by the Zombie but his blade cuts the thing deeply, it's arm falling off.

Jarg is next in and he sees 3 skeletons. "Renad there seem to be some undead trying to hide, do something about them! Make them explode or something!"

Jarg waits for a skeleton to move out and attack him, dodges and kicks the thing into the wall, making it fall but not terminating it.

Elvira tries in vain to toss her daggers at another skeleton who appears from its hiding spot. The daggers bounce of a skeleton and come back to her.

Brethana uses her elvish blades, slicing 2 times then another time a skeleton, her rage scattering the skeletons bones all over the room, or is it more than her rage perhaps.

Elvira uses a mace for her extra attack and crushes a skeletons head with it, making it fall really dead to the floor.

Jarg's hasted attack has him slice his blades twice, terminating the skeleton for good.

Thalr uses his second attack, hasted, to precisely lop the zombies head off.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kel attacks his zombie and cuts it deepley to the chest. His second attack pierces it's chest and the zombie fell to the ground. A skeleton attack s the fighter and gets him to the right hand, but then Kel slashes him with his sword but without dealing very much damage.

Inovdil enters in the room and sees the 3 skeletons come to them, she gets out a glass wand and a lighting bolt hits all of them. Two of them become dust and only one remain who attacks Thalar with his spear.

Two other zombies appear behind a pile and jump in front of the cleric.

Renad enters and getting his holly symbol forces Thalar's skeleton and 2 zombies to leave.

Other 4 skelelons come out and 1 go to Thalar, 1 to Jarg and 2 to Brethana. Then appear other 3 zombies, one of them attacks Inovidil and bites her, fortunately gettiing only an image. Another zombie attacks Elvira and one Kel.
- W H A T ! ? !