Staunton Bluffs Episode III: Unexpected Meetings

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Staunton Bluffs Episode III: Unexpected Meetings

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

You have escpaed the horrors of the Mistways for once, but payed a high price...

Some of you most trusted companions are dead, others missing, others obviously infected with vampirism...

And yet, the light of the evening sun seems to greet you joyfully as you make your way towards the iron gate of the graveyard...

But who are those - those figures standing there at the rusted portal?

- You recall their faces... And the expressions of horror that once poluted them... How wicked this journey might have been, at least some of those you thought lost have survived... Or is this yet another illusion caused by the children of the night?

At the entrance to the graveyard, the two groups that had travelled to Staunton Bluffs finally meet...

Alain, Moorkroft, Jarryd, Adrian, all battered and shades of their former elegance...

Tavian, ill and pale.

George, disturbed from what he has witnessed in the last few hours.

Izabela, still unable to tell what is dream and what's reality...

But the people at the gate are indeed familiar to the Company of the Satyr:

Shana, her clothes dirty, but with the ever-enchanting smile as always.

Avra, quiet as usual.

And a third person, obviously a priest-warrior... But of no order that you would know...

Any words of welcoming?
Le Noir Faineant

[And a third time, to make sure EVERYONE reads this...

Greetings, Children of the Night!

Summer is coming on burning wheels, and many of us might already have begun to count down the time until their holidays begin.

Now, to evade misunderstandings and to enable our game to go on with the full cast of characters and with the usual speed and fun, I'd STRONGLY suggest that we coordinate things a little bit and better have a clean break from gaming for a while than to have players disappearing bit by bit... :wifred:

I, for instance, know already that I'll be unaivalable from August 23rd until September 12th – for this time, the game will have to pause in any case.

So, if you already have an idea of when you'll be off, please inform me as soon as possible.

Although it might feel a bit long, we can indeed extend that break from gaming even more, if our schedules turn out to be incompatible...

Yours,

Rafael]
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

[OOC Question:] Is Tavian standing in the sunlight, even though it's hurting him?

Before following the rest of the group, George grabs the possibly magical torch, testing it as he goes to see if it is producing actual flame and seeing if it burns a small piece of cloth put into it.

At the entrance of the graveyard, George steps towards Isabelle and asks her, quietly, "Do you know who these people are?"
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
Le Noir Faineant

LouisVendredi wrote:[OOC Question:] Is Tavian standing in the sunlight, even though it's hurting him?
The sunlight doesn't *hurt* Tavian, he just looks ill...
LouisVendredi wrote: Before following the rest of the group, George grabs the possibly magical torch, testing it as he goes to see if it is producing actual flame and seeing if it burns a small piece of cloth put into it.
[Moorkroft has also claimed the torch. Discuss this between you two. :)]
Tavian
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Tavian »

Tavian winces noticeably as the sunlight pours inside. With one arm crossed over to cover his eyes, he steps out cautiously.

By the iron gate he sees two familiar faces.

"Avra! Shana!" he cries out and struggles to smile. This surprises you because he is usually very quiet. The action has obviously taken alot of his strength, because he immediately bends down on one knee and pukes.

Without wiping the remaining vomit from his mouth and chin, he stands up again and tries to smile as he walks towards his lost party members.
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

[OOC: Moorkroft can keep the torch. I just didn't want to have it left behind. I'd prefer not to carry an unextinguishable light source around with me anyway]
-- Anya Jenkins
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

torch

Post by ewancummins »

Moorkroft places the burning torch on top that fallen stone, just ahead of the gate. He asks George , '' Do you want this torch? It must be enchanted, as the flame appears inexhaustable. You could perhaps cover it with something, when you didn't want the light. I really cannot safely carry it around all the time, not with my powder and shot .''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

George take one of his empty sacks and attempts to cover the torch (seeing if it will burn). To Moorkroft, he says: "If I can safely cover the torch without causing a fire, I will take it along. If not, I do not relish carrying a source of light I cannot hide."
-- Anya Jenkins
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

*Shana smiles with obvious relief*

"Tavian! Alain! You're alright!....well...alive anyway... and the others"

I step into the gate with some haste.

"This a noble knight who saved me.. with Avra's help... from a giant demon hound. He's met Lodissio! Oh, yes, and we may be being chased by that demon hound I mentioned earlier..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

giant demonhound !!!

Post by ewancummins »

Moorkroft says to all present , '' Most of you seem to know each other already. The mists brought me into this company, unaware of your names, purpose, or destination. I believe friend George is in the same situation. This might not bethe best time and place for a lengthy discussion , though. Not with some demon beast out there, maybe on our trail. '' He is looking out past the gate, scanning for the approach of the hound mentioned by Shana.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
DamienJ
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DamienJ »

It takes Erdwin several moments to realize what has just happened. What a strange day! Here he was, quietly enjoying the serenity of this beautiful landscape, and then that blasted goat-man comes along, Morr take him...he listens to the others in this group obviously reuniting, until Shana mentions him.

"Well spoken, sir," he says to Moorkroft. "If it will help you, I am called Erdwin, sometime squire to a knight of Belenus. Now I serve Belenus in my own way. But that is of no importance now. More pressingly, perhaps someone here will know of a place we can safely rest? I see there are wounded among this party who will need attending to. Also, as this lady has said, those beasts are not far off..."

He looks back through the gate, half expecting to hear the baying of at least one hound at any moment...
"Listen to them, children of the night! What music they make."
- Bram Stoker, [u]Dracula[/u]
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Jarryd takes a look at his clothes and equipment. His white robe and cloak are dirty, stained with drops of blood of whatever creatrure he battled.

Still he is able to feel a little relief after getting out of that mad house. However he cannot shake the feeling of dread that pushes his heart inside his chest, when he looks at Tavian.

We must take our next step very carefuly if we are to continue this mad ride through the mists. He thinks to himself
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

"I have to agree with Moorkroft. While I've been here a bit longer than he or George, I also don't know most of you. I've caught a few names here and there, but where are you lot off to? You sound like you're on a journey to a particular destination, and I caught that this 'Lodissio' was your guide until he stormed off, but where is your destination? How did you get sidetracked to this madhouse? Perhaps the answers will help me figure out what is going on here."

Remembering his manners, he bows to Erdwin. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, sir. I am Adrian, lately of Paridon. And I agree with you also, perhaps we should move to a safer location. But of Alain, Shana, and Tavian, I would still like to know how you had gotten mixed up in this."
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"Oh! My apologies. Where are my manners? I am Shana. We have been hired by a group of doubtful characters calling themselves the Mordent Cartographical society to go to a place called Staunton Bluffs and cartographie it. I may not be the best person to ask about it, since I've never heard of any of these places. I just got lost in some mists..."

I look down at myself and wince, then swirl my hands in a complex pattern. At once, the dirt and grime puffs out of my clothing and patters to the floor leaving my outfit spotless. I glance up.

"anyone else want sprucing up?"
Le Noir Faineant

As Moorkroft takes the torch, he will discover that the flame cannot be put in any way - although the torch seems just ordinary... A common piece of burning wood... Nothing special about it... Exaept that never-ending flame...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly, you hear a loud sound, like wood breaking, then a disgusted "OUCH!" and then friendly, mocking laughter...

Two very dirty woodsmen step out of the forest surrounding the graveyard... They are arguing so soundly that indeed they have not noticed your group yet.

"Dammit Wedge, can't you look where you step on!!!
You broke my wrinkle, I am sure..."

A second later, the woodsmen realize that they're not alone and wince, shrieking, and hectically and somewhat desperately try to pull out their weapons.

"Behold!"

"Watch out!"

"Stand still!"

"Hands up!"