Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic Discussion

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Phantom of the Sketchbook
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Phantom of the Sketchbook »

Ding Ding: Papa Legba, otherwise known as the Man at the Crossroads.

Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Correct! (It was the pineapple thingies that gave it away, wasn't it? :wink: ) I was, however, using this version as the base point:

Alternate veves - fun!

Still, you guessed right, so here's your e-cookie:

Hope you aren't allergic to looking at chocolate chips.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Papa Legba...the Opener of the Gate.

H'm. I wonder what came through. :shock:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Aaaaaaaand we're back. With a ton of pretension.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I think the last scene skewered any pretension the comic may have otherwise had.
"Have you lost your MIND, Desmarais?!"
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Papa Legba...the Opener of the Gate.

H'm. I wonder what came through. :shock:
Like I said - be careful what assumptions you make; Papa Legba is the loa you have to call to talk to other loas, as well.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this, now that poor Benoit is dead. And how did he die, I wonder?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Say goodbye to the digital artwork - it will return eventually.

At this point I began to experiment with different ways of doing the comic, and like most experiments the first tries were disasters. Today's strip I tried working with just pencil and paper to see how it would turn out; the answer is "could've been better", the scanner destroyed most the detail put in the image. Next will come attempts of ink and pencil (not so great) and just pen (originally awful, gets better).

So just hang in there for a bit.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

I've gotta say, I'm really enjoying this. Your expressions are really clear and strong without beind overwhelming, reminding me somewhat of Don Bluth's early work. And most importantly, the characters are experiencing conflict and disagreement without losing their essential humanity: The girl and the priest don't feel "right" so much as two confused people who care about eachother, and that's what you want for an argument like that.

The growing sense of dread about the girl's also very neat. Looking forward to where this is going!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

LadySoth wrote:Hopefully this is the correct place to post a comment, I didn't see any other threads for comments on this one . . .

Anyway, GREAT JOB!!!! I really loved the artwork and the storyline seems to be off to a great start! I can't wait to see what happens next. What type of software do you use to create the comic? It looks pretty professional. Keep up the good work, and sorry if I posted this comment in the wrong place.

[As it happens, the comic's own thread wasn't the right place to post this, so I moved it for you, LadySoth. No biggie. :wink: - Roti]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Thank you both! You have no idea how much your comments mean to me.

Nothing much happens in that first strip, so you lucky folks get two.

There's something else not common in Souragne.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Dear readers,

Due to deep-seated, unassuagable fears that I will lose your attention should the story run on too long, I will be posting over the weekend as well until this chapter is finished.

The entire comic is a set of 13 such stories, so do enjoy while it lasts.
(runs from the Phantom)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Ha! Somebody's been living inside the church for too long. I hope the apothecary has a lot of time on his hands, cuz he's gonna need it.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Ladies and Gentlemen, page 24 is up, also known as "something finally happens."

Also another something unusual for Souragne. I considered renaming the comic "A Series of Very Unusual Events" but that's really what every adventure is....
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Fire...pretty..."

Also, hey, did that priest start sporting grayscales inbetween sending the girl out and going to pick her up? Get in a fight with a ghost?