Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic Discussion

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

SIR?!!!
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Possibly the standard honorific used by the gendarmes to address their superiors, male or female. Or perhaps this cop's just a bit of a flake.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Ten bucks says she's an old girlfriend.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"She was in the war. Fighting, with the troops. You may call her 'sir'."

"SIR?"
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Charlotte seems very cheerful!

SIR!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic Discussion

Post by Isabella »

As some astute people have noticed, we are back - somewhat. There are no promises here, but unless something horrible happens in the next two weeks, we're at least here until the resolution of the cliffhanger we left off on. Five years is a long time to wait to find out how Our Heroes get out of this pickle, and I have to apologize to the audience for that. Presumably it wasn't fun for the characters either.

A few other notes:

-A bunch of the earliest comics have been remastered, because they were extra-dreadful. That includes the pictures of Misroi and Epitaph.

-M'sieu Winters is now going by Elias Gauvain, which sounds a lot less "I'm thirteen and trying to be cool."

-For some reason, Thierri introduced himself as "Thierri Boucher", at which point Santine mistakenly dubbed him "M'sieu Bouchard" for the rest of the comic. She's the only person who does it, and it wasn't intentional on my part. I have no idea how that happened, and now it doesn't.

-The DrunkDuck comic site is officially defunct. I've forgotten my password and trying to reset it literally crashes the page. As I see no means to fix this problem... oops? So much for that. People with slower modems can find the comic archived on my DeviantArt site.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Since the former comic website is as dead as a dead duck, people with slow modems please refer here instead: http://starcrossed.webcomic.ws/comics/
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O, prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.
Not a flower, not a flower sweet
On my black coffin let there be strown;
Not a friend, not a friend greet
My poor corpse, where my bones shall be thrown:
A thousand thousand sighs to save,
Lay me, O, where
Sad true lover never find my grave,
To weep there!

-Shakespeare

Epitaph
Elf Sorcerer 8
True Neutral Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Initiative +6; Senses Perception +4, Darkvision 60’
DEFENSE
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex)
hp 30 (8d6)
Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +6; (+2 vs enchantment)
Immune to Magic Sleep
OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Ranged Touch +6
Sorcerer Spells (CL 8th ; concentration +12, DC 14+level)
4th (4/day)—Dimension Door
3rd (6/day)—Dispel Magic, Nondetection, Gentle Repose
2nd (7/day)—Invisibility, Levitate, Knock, Make Whole
1st (7/day)—Identify, Tenser’s Floating Disk, Obscuring Mist, Expeditious Retreat, Unseen Servant, Silent Image
0 (at will)—Light, Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mending, Disrupt Undead
Metamagic Adept - 2/day metamagic does not increase casting time.
Arcana - +1 save DC when metamagic applied
STATISTICS
Strength 8 (-1), Dexterity 14 (+2), Constitution 10 (+0), Intelligence 14 (+2), Wisdom 11 (+0), Charisma 18 (+4)
Base Atk +4; CMB +4; CMD 16
Feats Still Spell, Silent Spell, Extend Spell, Eschew Materials, Improved Initiative, Craft Wondrous Item
Skills Perform: Singing +16, Linguistics +3, Heal +12, Knowledge: Local +13, Spellcraft +12, Perception +4 (+3 in the dark), Knowledge: Religion +10, Diplomacy +5, Sense Motive +2
Traits Caretaker, Dilettante Artist
Languages Elven, Mordentish, Lamordian, Falkovnian, Darknonese
SQ Light Sensitivity, Arcane Bloodline, Arcane Bond (Familiar)
Other Gear Muleback Harness

Dirge
Whippoorwill (Owl) Familiar 8
True Neutral Tiny Magical Beast
Initiative +3; Senses Perception +10, Low Light Vision
DEFENSE
AC 19, touch 15, flat-footed 16 (+3 Dex, +2 Size, +4)
hp 15 (8d6)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +6;
Improved Evasion
OFFENSE
Speed 10 ft. Fly 60’ (Average)
Melee Talon/Talon +9/+9 (1d4-2)
STATISTICS
Strength 6 (-2), Dexterity 17 (+3), Constitution 11 (+0), Intelligence 9 (-1), Wisdom 15 (+0), Charisma 6 (-2)
Base Atk +4; CMB +5; CMD 13
Feats Weapon Finesse
Skills Fly +7, Stealth +15, Perception +10, Perform: Singing +6, Linguistics +0, Heal +10, Knowledge: Local +7, Spellcraft +6, Knowledge: Religion +7
SQ Grants Alertness, Empathic Link, Share Spells, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak with Master, Speak with Birds
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

SHA-ZAM!

Turns out d00d was dead after all! How do you like them apples, Fake Volkov and Skeptical Gendarme?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Epitaph is way more awesome than any 8th level character I've ever had.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

There's a large part of me that regretted the Falkovnian existed simply for him to be killed off in the first four pages - I think he would have been an interesting character in his own right. Of course, since he essentially started the story dead, there wasn't much to be done about that. There's also a rule among writers not to get too attached to characters, I'm pretty sure. He will not be the only such regret over the course of the story.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Thanks to NeoTiamat we have a TvTropes page now. Feel free to chime in over there.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

And there we are. With the exception of an epilogue, Chapter Three is over and done.

By the way, if anyone out there is still reading this comic, I'd sure love to hear from you. ;)
Satyrwyld
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Satyrwyld »

Thank you so much for finishing this! Your work is amazing- is there anyplace I can see more of it?

Also, in the Sept 28 page, are we supposed to recognize the "murderer?" I feel like I should, but I'm having a fit of the stupids.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Well, it's been a while. :( Fred met him back here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... 59#p105259

And still carried something of a grudge.