The Gothic Journals (Comments)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I'm not terribly familiar with Earth's earliest history (I guess I haven't seen enough of "The Universe" on History Channel :D). Because of that I can't get into the history of Earth beyond so many billions of years. Plus this is Gothic Earth; anything pre-Red Death is "lost to time," to quote one guy I read. That's a time period that needs a pro's touch.

As I'll explain in later entries (as soon as I get done with these *&@#*&@ compilation rewrites) magic isn't the only factor in global warming. In fact the rate of temperature increase isn't caused by the sudden influx of magic back into the Earth, it's just exacerbating things. Much like holes in the ozone layer, rampant pollution, urban trapping of daily heat, and other factors "too numerous to even try to list" have all played a part.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

I am sort of curious on how the Red Death handles "fringe" theories and science, especially if they are hitting close to certain truths. The term is highly subjective in the field. The Big Bang Theory was considered fringe 30-40 years ago and now is in major acceptance (whether you subscribe to it or not). And believe it or not, it took the USGS 90 years after its discovery by European-descent Americans to accept the Barringer Crater in Arizona as an impact crater instead of a volcanic one (something that the Hopi and Zuni already knew through their legends).

I only ask this because this fall there are 3(?) new shows coming out that deal with the subject.
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I really don't know about "fringe" theories. But the Red Death wouldn't need to try and discredit scientific theories that hit too close to home; too many human beings don't want to change their beliefs (spiritual or scientific), so we do its job for it.
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Have a question

Post by Tykus »

How did Alex manage to "de-toxify" that hell house magic item? I just came across it in my RLDMG. Or is that something that happens in RL and the detox just hasn't happened yet in the the Lost Journals?

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Actually it's a case of mistaken identity. The magic mansion isn't a hell house at all. It just resembles one. It's actually a mobile stronghold not unlike Daern's instant fortress. But then I don't plan on having that figured out until after a little adventure in Souragne much later on. If property is power in that domain, a mansion would be the ultimate show of power.

Redeeming a hell house...that never came to mind. Thanks for the idea.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

*&!@*^!@#*^@*&*!!!! In checking the Resident Evil Wiki I realized that the Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii (a system I'd largely ignored) holds a lot of vital information for the Gothic Journals and especially the Resident Evil adventures. Here I thought I was so close to finishing, too. :cry: Every time I near a goal, I found out I'm still so far away. I just hope I don't have to rewrite things again, like I did after buying The Umbrella Archives...

If anyone's interested I'll begin posting excerpts from the Resident Evil Adventures.
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:*&!@*^!@#*^@*&*!!!! In checking the Resident Evil Wiki I realized that the Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii (a system I'd largely ignored) holds a lot of vital information for the Gothic Journals and especially the Resident Evil adventures. Here I thought I was so close to finishing, too. :cry: Every time I near a goal, I found out I'm still so far away. I just hope I don't have to rewrite things again, like I did after buying The Umbrella Archives...

If anyone's interested I'll begin posting excerpts from the Resident Evil Adventures.
Ain't that how it usually goes? :roll:

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ah, it doesn't matter. I can revise the existing fiction as needed and add the new monsters after I play it. It's just that it shows the stories of what was also going on in RE0-3 and explains what Wesker is doing back at Umbrella in RE4. Those stories are important to the Gothic Journals as well. I call myself a perfectionist; my friends call me anal. :D
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sorry if I haven't been writing, folks. It's been one of those weeks at work (new boss = reorg, 'nuff said). Plus I finally broke down and took money out of my OS fund (OS is "Oh, $&*%") to buy a Wii to play RE: The Umbrella Chronicles just so I can be up-to-snuff on the Resident Evil adventures and the fiction being posted (plus I've been jonesing to play a few other games). If you've tried to find a Wii console for sale in the US, you know the nightmare I've just been through. If not, let's just say that I'd sooner have my wisdom teeth removed a second time than do that again.

So while I wait for something that cost me almost as much as the gas pump does (:D) I'll try and find some time to write again. This is really the time of year I usually hunker down and wait out the last, horrible weeks of summer (what can I say? I just prefer cold and darkness) so I've got nothing else going on to interfere with my posts.
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Now you get address whether admantine is titanium. :lol:

Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Now you get address whether admantine is titanium. :lol:

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Having studied materials science (metallurgy) a bit I can say that the two aren't the same. Adamantine's origins from comets and highly magical areas suggest it's utterly flawless--no weaknesses, no flaws, absolutely perfect on an atomic level. That's something no metal created in gravity's pull can achieve. It's theorized that metals forged in zero-g environments could be as light as plywood and at the same time be ten times stronger than industrial steel. Adamantine is likely one such metal because it originates in space (or magical zero-g environments) and isn't "forged" so much as "shaped" when humanoids craft it. Ordinum (or whatever that metal from Stronghold Builder's Guide is called) would likely be entirely magical in nature; maybe an alloy of mithral and adamantine if the two metals are elementally pure?

Also titanium in and of itself is only as strong as steel, though 40% lighter and capable of forming "superalloys." Some of these alloys could be like adamantine in terms of Hardness and HP, but not the ability to bypass Hardness less than 20 or its innate damage reduction; that's a property unique to adamantine's flawless structure.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Double post there, Tykus: the dreaded Forum-Doppelganger strikes again! :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Double post there, Tykus: the dreaded Forum-Doppelganger strikes again! :wink:
:oops: It's called getting that "we have bug" screen. "Transaction timed out due to website non-response." :shock: 8)

Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

An alternate meaning to 77001254?

Post by Tykus »

http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp? ... longsec=00
:shock:
You'll have to zoom out to get the idea. :lol: