The Bladeforge (fiction - reader discretion advised)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Bladeforge (fiction - reader discretion advised)

Post by HuManBing »

THE BLADEFORGE

being only one version of

The origins of THE HAWK OF TALON COMPANY

also called Bela-jir Ah-Cob and variants thereof.

As told in part to ALICOV PUBLISHING of Hawkbluff and later of Hasid, in Thenol. (Commissions available.)

In which a native of FORG, being of sound mind and body, aspires to primacy in the kingdom of THENOL in the realm of HOSK, and furthermore, through bloody and martial service to KING and BISHOP, envenomed with the violence of his service, seeks to preserve a MOST PERFECT SOCIETY of men - strong of ARM, decent of SPIRIT, and trained to COURAGE and BRAVERY from birth, never to bow or humble before any other.

Though Temple and Court alike may stifle the presses, yet still will men (and women) of resolve pass among them the unexpurgated and complete TRUTH, the better to remember more fully the deeds of those who have gone before, and the wiser to walk, knowing of their TRIUMPHS and MISSTEPS both.

Editor's note: In the fullness of his memory, I pray for him, and all who follow him. And to those who read these words and remember, I pray you all to pray for him, lost to this world as he is now.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:01 am, edited 9 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Part One: The Boy of Forg
The Bladeforge

I still remember my first sword.

It was a light thing, made of pitted metal when the steel did not take properly in the forge. But Old Carrustin, the smith, hated to let steel go to waste. And for my ten-year-old arm, proud to hold its own blade at last, there was no better taste than the hilt at my knuckles and the leather grip in my palm.

"You're getting on to be a man soon. Don't cut yourself with it," Carrustin had said, as he took the five coins of steel from me - the total that I could steal from my wages of two years' work. "Wipe the blade each time before you put it in the sheath. If it's cold outside, draw it slowly. And don't let Wilmar see it."

I hid it as best as I could under the floorboards beneath Pento's furs. The dog may have been blind, but he knew my scent and he would pad away grudgingly if I gave him some dried morsels from the larder.

I wanted to show it to Bela, but I knew if I told her, she would tell Wilmar somehow, even if she didn't want to. And Wilmar would take it away, like he always did. The only one I told was Prent, who worked next to me at the gemcutter's. He was a quiet boy, who saw me pocket the crude uncut lumps from time to time but said nothing.

But Wilmar did see it, eventually. One weekend I went to Pento and found the sword gone. There was no need to even wonder what had happened. I sat at the table and waited for him to return.

"I want my sword back," I told him when he came back. I couldn't keep the waver out of my voice.

He said nothing but wiped the dust from his face and began removing his miner's boots - big, solid things with a solid heft behind their grime. I thought he hadn't heard me. I began to feel doubt.

"My sword--" I began, but he cut me off.

"I heard you the first time, Cob," he said. I looked down into the table. He knew how much I hated that name. It was the name the other boys called me when they saw the lunch I would bring - the vegetables from the dinner before, ears of corn half-eaten and left.

He got up to the chest by the wall and unlocked it, pulling out the sword.

"Carrustin gave you this," he said. It wasn't even a question. I nodded dumbly. He gave a scornful sniff. "Why did he waste it on you?" he asked.

"He said I would be a man soon," I said.

Wilmar put the blade across his lap and leaned in suddenly, his whiskery face close in. My fear must have been clear.

"Beg pardon, Cob? Didn't hear you."

"He said I would be a man soon," I said, then faltered. Wilmar's look of contempt was terrible to behold.

He looked me up and down. Then drew back and said, "I guess he made a mistake." Matter-of-factly, he rose and took the sword back to the chest.

I drew a breath.

"But my sword, Wilmar. It's mine." I cursed myself, unable to keep the whine out of my voice.

Wilmar drew it from its scabbard and turned to me. He took two long steps to me and stood before me, the sword drawn and out at the side. I did not flinch, which he seemed to like.

"We'll see if you're a man yet," he said. Next thing I knew, he brought the scabbard up, hard, into my crotch. The world exploded into pain as I fell to the floor, a deep burning somewhere below my navel keeping me balled like a baby. Standing over me, Wilmar sheathed the sword again and gave a short, sharp chuckle. He locked it back into the chest.

Tears coursed down my cheeks as I bit my lip so I wouldn't make any noise. The dusty reek of the floorboards - spilled watery soups, the dried sweat of sandals - pressed into my cheek. Even after the tears stopped and Wilmar was long gone, I lay like that on the floor, staring at the chest and the sword that was mine.
* ~ * ~ *
Prent got in a fight with Lotal in the gemcutter's. He put up a good fight, but Lotal put a solid hit to his gut and then twisted Prent's head under his armpit.

"Call it!" Lotal shouted a few times, and then the other boys took up the chant. I saw Prent bite down on his own tongue so he wouldn't cry out, but then his face turned red as Lotal ground his arm lower. When he finally did call it, it came out as a tortured gasp.

"Submit!" he scratched out.

Lotal let up but not entirely. "The whole thing. Submit to what? To who?"

"Ah-Lotal!" Prent burst out. Master Lotal. Lotal tightened his arm again. "I submit to Ah-Lotal!" he gasped.

Lotal dropped him and pushed him on the ground, forcing a handful of mud into his face. He took the tied bundle from Prent's belt and spat on him for good measure.

There were tears in Prent's eyes, but they did not persist, and I figured they were from the pain, not from a weakness of spirit. He said nothing as he got up and cleaned himself. The other boys spread out, leaving no room for him at the table. Whatever Lotal saw fit to give them, they ate, from Prent's food bundle.

I saw him in the stool pit and gave him part of my own lunch. He nodded once and took it without a word. Wilmar's castaways fed two mouths that day.
* ~ * ~ *

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

An Early Victory

Bela brought drinks at the winehouse near the mines, where hardbitten men went after their work. Sometimes they talked of her in ways I did not like. But she was good to me and I liked her, and when they called me "Bela-jir", I felt secretly proud. It meant "of Bela".

When I was younger, she would bring wrapped treats back from the streams or the fields. Then when I was about five years old there was a day of thundering hooves which claimed my father before I knew him, and the village changed forever after that. Lord Belkrestar of Flex ordered a mine built, and ever after we would work to provide his armies with steel. Bela followed the mines in the only way a woman could - in the taverns.

That's where she met Wilmar. Though he had little love for me, he seemed to like her, and when she was around he checked his acts. She was strong to him, too, though she had tact. After particularly harsh words between Wilmar and me, I would hear Bela's voice - determined, low, and sure - speaking long after lights out in their shared bed, Wilmar responding only briefly. The following days he would be still and mute when I was around - at least in her presence.

In winter she was not often at home. The mines always dinned and the men worked all shifts. Wilmar would work for days on end and then come back to sleep in bitter exhaustion. Once, I woke him and he cuffed me angrily, and his ring left a mark on my head that I can still feel, under my hair.

In spring, the mine work would slow and the men would start training anew with their blades, made by Old Carrustin and his smith hands. Closer to summer, Lord Belkrestar and his Knights would hold contests around the towns to select the summer's footmen, and then choose their commoner lackeys. Then the armies of all the Lords would sally forth and meet in battle. Some raids would be successful, bringing back slaves and plunder. Others would bog into retreats, with the commoners throwing down their arms and scrambling back to the tents. In a true disaster, even the tents would be overwhelmed, and those that were lucky might find their way to a friendly town or village and then to home.

It was to prevent disasters like the one that killed my father and countless other villagers, that Lord Belkrestar ordered his men to the mines to toil in winters, and then called them to the fields to fight in summer.

That summer, Wilmar had the luck to be chosen as a bearer for the column of Captain Himlak. Himlak was the brother of the village head and a strong man. He was one of the few rich enough to own a horse and strong enough to ride it into battle for his Lord. Wilmar carried his Captain's banner - a blue hammer on a white background - and left the village with a mace over his shoulder. The way he walked, you would have thought him some kind of soldier. But he wore no colors or armor, and in a real fight he would remain behind with the commoners to guard the tents.

Lord Belkrestar still needed gems for trade, though, and for little fingers like mine there was no rest through the summer, in the gemcutter's home. Now with the hum of battle in the air, the boys spoke of deeds of glory and valor. Inevitably, this led to fights.

With Wilmar gone, Bela had to save whatever she could. My already-meager food bundles became slimmer still, and I thought this would deter Lotal from taking my bundle.

I had not counted on Lotal's mean streak.

The first I knew of it was a sharp stone, flung my way. It struck my cheek and fell in my lap.

"Hey, Cob!" he shouted. "Show us your food."

I picked the stone out of my lap but made no other move.

Lotal came up behind me. "Did you hear me, Cob? We want to see what potato peelings you've brought." He put his arm on my shoulder - the prelude, I thought, to wrapping my head. "Open the bundle."

I turned and spat in his face, and he jerked my head back so we were both on the floor. I scrambled to my feet, but he was quicker and brought my head down to his waist level, yelling like a madman. I tried to back away, but he brought his knee up into my face and all I could see for a moment was a bright light.

He did it again and then changed position so he was beside me, squeezing my neck. A great rushing filled my ears and my gasps for breath came shallow and labored.

"Call it!" he said through gritted teeth. He put his fist into the top of my head and drilled his knuckle. "Call it, Cob!"

I lurched to one side, trying desperately to get his arm off my neck, but he held fast and purple spots appeared in front of my eyes. He drew me closer to him, and then I brought the sharp stone up between his legs and felt his arm instantly go slack.

Choking, I stood up and saw him holding himself as he knelt on his knees and shins. I turned the stone on its flat side and it was easy, with two hard strokes to the back of his head, to beat him to the ground.

Then a clear thought struck me. I had him on the ground, but he could still get up. Even if I beat him today, he could still come at me again - not tomorrow, perhaps, but next week... next month... next year. It wouldn't be enough just to hurt him today. I would need to beat Lotal so badly that it would count as a victory for the next time, and the time after that. I would need to make sure he would never fight me again if he could help it.

I knelt on his stomach and knocked his hands away from his face, then hit him twice there with the stone's flat face, the second blow collapsing his nose and drawing blood.

"Call it," I said to him, low and clear so he could hear me. He spat at me; it was bloody. I turned slightly and brought the stone's edge hard down into his ruined crotch, where his dusty pants were already darkening. I did it another time, then brought the stone into his forehead when he convulsed upwards.

He rolled onto his side, groaning. I got off him and rose on a knee. With my right foot, I planted three good kicks into his ribs and then grabbed a knot of his hair.

"Call it!" I shouted. He moaned. I got a better grip on his hair and began to pull.

"Get off! Get off!" he screamed, his voice shriller than I'd ever heard it. I ripped as hard as I could, and a hank of his hair came away from his scalp in my hand. Dropping the pelt to the floor, I put my outer forearm into his throat and began to lean in, silencing him and pinning him to the ground.

His struggles grew more frantic, then weaker, as he began to run out of air. Part of me wondered whether he would rather die of strangling than submit. I saw a look in his eyes of disbelief - he was likely wondering the same thing. He stopped his struggles and nodded, wincing.

I let up, holding the stone aloft just in case.

"I... I..." he said, then choked with coughs. He scrambled feebly.

"I submit!" he said.

"Who to?" I asked.

He coughed again, then bowed his head.

"I submit to Cob--" he said, then stopped as I slapped him hard in the face.

"I submit to Ah-Cob," he said, after his tongue and teeth worked for a while and he spat blood again.

I stood back and then kicked him twice in the head - once to knock him down, and once to knock him out. He fell onto his side, stirred briefly, and then lay still, breathing shallowly.

At my leisure, I looted his body of two blood sausages wrapped in cornmeal. I gave one to Prent, and the boys at the table gave us a wide berth.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Scenes from Forg

At home, it was just me and Bela, and the evenings were calm. She set traps for little creatures at the end of the field, and for birds on the straw roof of our house. Whatever she caught, we ate - rabbits, mice, voles, robins - and sometimes she would sit by the fire darning old clothes and singing her songs without words.

The only disturbance that summer was when Lotal tried to regroup with three friends. However, my early drubbing of him had impressed the others, and several of the boys were the type who could be taught not to fear him - as long as it looked like they had a chance against him. Fortunately, I was not alone. When he grabbed me again, Prent was first into the fray, and we struggled for a while before the others came to my aid as well. I put Lotal's head underwater for the count of five dozen heartbeats, three other boys holding his arms down. We took it in turns to stamp his chest afterwards to get him coughing again.

That day earned me the nickname that would stick with me ever after - Ah-Cob. Although I'd hated the name Cob, I liked the nickname Ah-Cob, for the respect of being called "Master". The name "Cob" now seemed like a badge of honor, instead of an insult.

The only one who didn't change was Prent. He still called me Bela-jir, having known me and my mother well.

Lotal's mother came round to Bela's home not long after, and Bela saw her coming and hustled me out the back way, handing me a key. As I left, I heard their voices raised in anger already - Lotal's mother in shrill rage, my own in even-headed menace.

I headed out of the village and into the surrounding countryside. I had no business there, to be sure, but Wilmar was leagues away in the Lord's war-train, and Bela was at home. With the hills to my back, I set out valeward, passing through the fields with their budding harvest and into the plains.

I sat awhile, looking at the mountains that ringed our valley to the west and south. I stepped into brooks and waited there, watching the water run and run over polished stones. Turning back to the village, I tried to remember the stories the singing man had told when he passed through this way, years ago.

"Forg," I said, calling the village by the name the singer had given it. So-called, he'd said, because we were the first settlement to find good ore and to establish a forge to tame it. He sang of that, a comical song about how the metal of other towns and villages bent and warped when they met our blades in battle. The men had laughed deep and hearty at that, and smiled with pride at their village.

Turning back, I looked risewards, to the expanse of plains where no trees would take root. That ways, the sun rose every morning, and that way lay also the town of Flex, where Lord Belkrestar made his home, in a fortress on a hill. He would not be there now. For the campaign, he had decided to challenge the people of Hasid, two days' journey to the northeast. Not long ago, they had bested our army and taken tribute in wheat and slaves. Now, it was hoped, the strong arm of Belkrestar would win the day and return our lost crops and people. And of course the village of Forg hoped that our Captain Himlak would serve Lord Belkrestar admirably, and maybe even win some favor for our people from him.

Then I turned my eyes to the southeast. Many leagues distant, the singer had said a mighty city lay there, called New Aurim, where our King made his home. Such was his power that even the Lords vied to please him. Hence the contests and battles and campaigns between Lords each summer. All the contests of strength, the shows of force, were ordained at his command and with his rule, so that our kingdom might be strong the day it was called upon to defend itself.

From what, nobody was entirely clear. Legends told of horned devils tramping the earth, or winged creatures darting in the forests.

The sun was already starting to descend towards the forest to the west. I shaded my eyes and looked out that way, recalling the singer's tales of the unconquered wilderness there.

I checked on my old traps - useless things, only one of which had caught anything, which had since gone to bone in my absence. No matter. Their use was to see if I had the skill in me. I set a few more, for little creatures of the earth, and headed back home slowly.

Lotal's mother had not gone, and in fact others had shown up, and were all haranguing Bela in our house. From the sound of it, though, she was giving as good as she got - insulting their boys for lacking backbone.

I turned my steps away, towards Prent's home, where I found him catching fireflies for his sister. He put them in a woven mesh for her and she clapped her hands and shrieked with laughter, eyes wide. He ran inside to tell his mother he was going to the fields.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Prent's Fall

We lay on our backs, looking at the clouds, fading from blue to red to black, as crickets chirped around us. Sometimes, preybirds crossed the sky above us. Bugs crawled over us boldly.

I spoke first.

"Hasid has good food, they say."

Prent scratched his face and sniffed, waiting for a sneeze. When it didn't come, he gave a shrug. "Well, they have the best farms," he said. "Dada's hoping to get a pair of sheep for tribute."

"Sheep?" I asked. "Real conquerers eat beef!"

He rolled over and propped himself up on an elbow and looked at me.

"Real villagers don't have enough yard to feed cows for beef," he said levelly. "Mama wants sheep for their wool too."

"Real conquerers get slaves to feed their cows for them," I shot back.

"And what if they don't give them back?" he asked.

"Then I smite him!" I shouted happily, leaping up and striking him on the rump with a stick.

"And so you have killed the farmer looking after your cows," he said, one step ahead of my pursuit. "His wife says she hates you and she takes your cows."

"I smite her!" I said, landing a good blow across Prent's chest.

"Then the cows get scared and run away," he said.

"I SMITE THE COWS!" I bellowed, and we collapsed in a heap of wrestling arms. He tried to push me off him, but I was faster and put my hand on his cheek. I used my free hand to pummel his rump with the switch.

He finally stopped fighting and said something indistinct.

"What?" I asked, releasing his mouth.

He spat out chewed grass.

"I said - 'and that's where beef comes from'."

We sat awhile, catching our breaths. Then he gave me a strange look.

"What will Wilmar bring you, Bela-jir?" he asked.

I dropped the blade of grass I'd been trying to hum through. I brushed a fly off my scalp.

"I dunno," I said. "He doesn't bring me anything, and I wouldn't take it even if he did."

He thought about this. "What do you think he'll bring Bela?"

I shrugged. "Don't know. Don't care."

A slow, sneaky smile crossed his face as he looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing," he said.

"No, really, what?" I asked. He got up - a sign that he was preparing to run.

"What if he brings her a baby?" he said.

I exploded up off the turf and followed him, but he was already ahead of me. He was lighter of the two of us, and though he usually lost our wrestling matches, he had a stride that left me just a body-length behind him, each time.

"A cute widdle baby with Wilmar's beard!" he crowed.

"That's not funny!" I shouted, and really meant it. In between stubbing my toes on rocks and panting as I chased him, I suddenly thought of the idea of Bela's stomach, big with Wilmar's brat. I began to feel dizzy.

"Baby Wilmar! Baby Wilmar! Baby Wilmar... Ow!" Looking over his shoulder at me, Prent had run over a ridge and suddenly vanished from view. I skidded up at the top of the ridge and saw Prent spreadeagled, his head at a shocking angle.

* ~ * ~ *

Years before, some old shepherd had built some sort of fence here, but the earth had moved and the fence had mostly come down. As I descended in jolting, half-tumbling steps to where Prent trembled violently, I noted that not all the wooden posts had been taken down.

The post was weathered and the top had come off, leaving a wickedly sharp jagged splintering edge facing skywards. Prent, falling down along the length of his body, had impaled his jaw on the wooden spike, which now penetrated through the bottom of his jaw and protruded like an obscene tongue straight up through his open mouth. The tip of the pole trembled beside his nose as he breathed.

I dashed around to his face, looking in his eyes. He blinked to see me, with a look of transfixed shock. The part of the pole under his jaw was turning red.

"Prent! Say something!" I said, like a fool. He blinked a few more times, breathing raggedly, and then pulled himself together.

"Herrrrk reeeee," he said, plaintive and helpless as a calf.

I examined the wound where the pole entered his head. Gods, but he was lucky. His pulse was strong and agitated, but even I knew that just a little lower and he would have been in big trouble. Even if it had gone in the same place but at a different angle, it would have broken the roof of his mouth. As it was, there was some blood, but it was seeping, not gushing.

I wrestled down a sense of hysteria.

"Iiii hurrrrrh," he moaned.

"I know, I know, Prent," I said. "I will get you out of here, no fears."

I knelt down and looked at the fence post. The elements had shorn away the outer layers, leaving a smooth, weathered shard that was the color and consistency of dry bone. It must have been almost straight when Prent fell on it. Now, it was leaning markedly forward with his weight.

I stood up next to Prent, who was fighting the pain with his eyes screwed tight shut.

"All right, Prent, I need you to collect yourself. You're going to have to get on all fours, and then stand up while I hold the post down, okay?"

He opened his eyes, his breathing fast, and looked at me. Unwisely, he tried nodding, then winced from the pain.

"Ah-hah," was all he could say.

"Okay," I said, then began. It was hard work, moving his arms and legs underneath him so he could push off the post with all his strength. I held his shoulders as he shifted limbs. Again, I saw tears in his eyes, but his mind was clear - so they were tears from the pain, not of weakness.

Something about Prent's mouth and the fencepost reminded me of fishing, and I had another thought.

"Wait, before we try pushing off, let me check," I said. I examined the protruding end of the fence post carefully, checking for anything that might snag on the way out. I gently prised open the corners of his mouth with trembling bloodied fingers, and checked the section skewering his lower jaw, holding his bulging tongue to one side as I did so. "Make sure this doesn't tear you like a fishhook when it comes out."

It all seemed smooth enough. I put my hands below the corners of his jaw and set my feet to grip the base of the fence post between them.

"Okay, Prent, you're going to have to push up hard the way I'm pulling. It'll hurt and you'll bleed. But it'll get you free and we'll take you home, okay?"

"Ah-hah."

"Okay. Let's go - now!"

I heaved and he pushed himself away from the ground, with the strangled noise of a wounded animal. The post became slippery with his blood, and then sticky as it congealed. But slowly, the protruding section of the fence post began to inch back into his mouth, and the deep red segment of the post beneath his jaw steadily grew in length as we wormed it out of his neck.

Then, with a quick, tearing sensation, he was free, and now bleeding freely, all over my hands, face, and shins as he fell forward into me. The post scraped his belly, adding another shallow cut, as we would find out later.

I bound his head in my shirt and we walked back towards the village. When he started to stumble, I held onto him, putting his arm over my shoulder. When he fell, I put him over my back and half-carried, half-dragged him back to his house.

His kinsmen took him from me as they hurriedly summoned the healer.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Bela's Promise

I got off lightly for Prent's misfortune. Bela gave me a hiding with a switch for half an hour outside their house, and that was that. She cleaned her hands, tied my back in towels, and took me back home. Supper was on the table not half an hour afterwards.

Things got better when Prent could talk again. He took it bravely, telling his folk it wasn't my fault that he fell, even though it was. Soon as he could walk again, his folks warned him against playing soldier in the fields with me. He ignored them, as you might guess.

It wasn't till Bela saw me swinging branches with Prent after a day at the gemcutter's that she asked me what caused the accident.

I felt my face flush. I remembered the picture in my mind, of her, big with child, no longer my mother alone.

"Nothing," I said. "We talked of war. I chased him. He fell."

Bela hemmed to herself, wiping the flour from her hands. There was a wrinkle to her right cheek that came only when she doubted my word.

"Cow cakes," she said bluntly. "He must have angered you richly, Boy. What did he talk about?"

I fidgeted evasively. "This and that."

"Did he talk about Wilmar? Did he talk about me?" Bela asked, fixing me with her gaze.

I said nothing at first. Then, in a low voice, "Prent told, didn't he?"

Bela came over and stood in front of me, holding the earthenware bowl in one hand and turning the spoon with the other. She was a tall woman, standing level with most men in the village, and strong too. It was said that before I was born she had helped my father put up this house, moving wood and stone alongside him.

"I'm not going to have another child, Boy," she said, not unkindly. "Mislaxa grant that a lone woman doesn't have to deal with any more of you." She blew a wayward strand of hair out of her eyes, unwilling to raise her hands. "The entire village won't have any whole children left without you putting breaks in them."

For no good reason, I went over to her and hugged her. She shifted her arm slightly so her spinning elbow would clear my head. The warm, close smell of her - of rising bread and comfortable work clothes - filled my senses.

"Back with you, now. You're still not getting any of this batter-crust. Don't think your charms and embraces are changing that."

But she relented and gave me a spoonful, then spanked my hip.

"You go wash your face and your arse," she said tartly. "You have flour on both."

I slept that night filled with an unaccountable lightness.

* ~ * ~ *

Prent and Gelajer, a boy who might have been a cousin, had questions for me about this.

"How does Bela know she won't have babies?" asked Gelajer. "All Wilmar has to do is sleep in her bed."

I said nothing and continued trying to get an ember with two sticks. Prent wasn't so sure.

"Papa and Gela weren't sleeping in the same bed, and look what happened with you," he said.

Gelajer shook his head, his eyes scrunched up in his freckled face. "Your Papa had to have slept in the same bed, only once though," he said. "Gela doesn't even have to be in it at the time. If she lies down later, she can get a baby."

Prent was silent at this new thought, a suspicious look on his face.

"What does Lindo have to say about this?" he asked at length.

Lindo was the only boy in Himlak's family our age, and so he was the only boy to have his own pony. Himlak was his uncle, and his family was the only one to own breeding livestock. Lindo was familiar with many things the rest of us didn't know. He told us things about the animals that you wouldn't believe. Snakes coming out of the wood and suckling on the teats of milk cows, and the like.

We agreed that nothing could be certain until Lindo had said so. But Lindo wasn't home in the evenings. Instead, he'd be out in the fields learning to ride his pony - perhaps one day to become village Captain, like his uncle, and to lead our men in march.

Still, Prent tried to draw inspiration from the chickens his family kept.

"Maybe a woman is like a nest, and the man lays an egg?" he asked faintly.

Gelajer scoffed. "In chickens, it's the hen who lays the egg, dunce."

"I said 'like' a nest, not 'just like' a nest, scruffpot," Prent said lazily. "And anyway women aren't made of twigs and feathers and bits of broken pottery in the yard. Maybe you noticed."

"It fell over by itself," Gelajer said sulkily. I decided this was some past event between the two of them.

"What does the cock do?" I asked suddenly, abandoning the two bits of wood. The cavity in the lower piece didn't seem deep enough. Although the end of the upper piece got warm, it never glowed. Also, my fingers hurt from the effort.

Gelajer thought this one over, and we joined him.

"It stands on the roof and crows," he said finally.

We gave up at that point and started wrestling until they called us home.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Spoils of War

News from the battles came back sporadically, with the singers and bards circulating wild tales of heroism or defeat. Bela paid them little heed. She sniffed and said it all depended partially on who was their employer, and partially on how much coin they would make at the hearthside with their songs.

But we knew the battle against Hasid had gone well. A decree from Captain Himlak, posted in the square, gave lists and accounts of the campaign's gains. Wilmar had taken two prisoners as spoils, a development that threw Bela into a frenzy of tidying the house. When I asked her what the fuss was, she said it would be the last time she had to clean for a while so she might as well get it right for the slaves to learn early. We quickened in anticipation and talk arose among the boys at the gemcutter's house.

I felt sorry for Prasti, though. A fine-haired, watery-eyed boy, his father had been trampled when Hasid's horsemen sallied against our footmen. There had been six casualties, though fortunately no deaths. From what we could tell, the battles were fought in accordance with ancient rules, and soldiers readily gave and accepted surrender quarter if surrounded or captured. At the end of the battle, exchanges of key captains and officers were made, with the better-off side demanding generous tributes and goods.

For a man to actually die on the campaign would be unlucky, but it was known to happen. Hasid fortunately was a sister town to Forg. Several of our relatives even lived there, so I heard - Forg and Hasid had done trade in past and bloodlines stretched even across the Dawnsong Plains to the north.

Prent's father, it was said, had taken a bad blow to his arm and wore it in a sling. Gelajer shared Prent's anxiety for a few weeks, until a travelling singer reported seeing their father - a stout, red-bearded man - singing and drinking with other victorious soldiers, holding aloft a flagon in his good hand and clapping his thigh with the other.

The army came home near the end of summer. In the outlying villages, the runners came telling of the latest developments. One runner, Bela said, had told her that Wilmar was seen carrying geese and a fatted pig, with two servants - women - in tow. She had stopped by the gemcutter's and spoken with Old Parras, as I was washing the dust off a basketful of rough gemstones. Parras let us out and watched the army march back into town from his windows.

The men were dusty and tired from the marching, but they raised a lusty song among them as they marched. The women threw flowers and clapped, and as boys we ran alongside the returning soldiers, not certain what to do.

Then I saw Wilmar, even leaner than I remembered him, several weeks' growth of beard on his cheeks and chin. He carried a string sack of metal plates on his back, and his other hand hefted a spear straight up, jiggling with his step. His right knee was bound in bandages, but he seemed to walk easily. Beside him marched two women, one plump and faded, holding an armful of fowl, and another little more than a girl, with mud-colored hair and freckles, her face covered in dust from the travel.

I ran up beside Wilmar and struck a solemn step with him. Though he kept his head forward, I saw him tilt his eyes toward me. Then, with a half-smile, he shifted weight and handed me the string sack. I recognized the metal plates - the marching armor of a footman.

Bela came up and, with a gesture that brooked no opposition, demanded and got the livestock from the other grown woman. She said nothing to Wilmar, though her pleasure in seeing him back was plain. I thought I saw her tilt an eyebrow at him, as he cut his eyes away from her.

Bela left to put the geese away, but I stayed alongside him, striding tall with my arms full of sweat-stained armor, clumps of grassy dirt still stuck in the joints from when their bearer fell.
* ~ * ~ *
It turned out the two captives hardly needed coercion to come with Wilmar. The older woman was Anveran, Wilmar's cousin, who had been looking to leave Hasid for quite some time since her husband died. The younger girl was her daughter, Sootri, although she was so quiet I had to ask Anveran even for that information.

There was a midday feast in the village square, where they served some of Casper's hillside vintage, so children weren't supposed to be there. But Wilmar, in one of his fits of goodwill, plumped me down on the bench next to him and gave me a horn of weak wine. He also put his helmet on my head, and I didn't care about the congealed blood and sweaty stink of the thing - I was proud to wear a warrior's plume and basinet.

By degrees, the story came out. Wilmar told of the Hasid spies who came tiptoeing to the Forg camp in the middle of third watch at night, and how he had met them near the stream and called out for declaration. When they had run, he followed, catching one and binding him in his own clothes, and setting off and catching the other.

Captain Himlak was so impressed with this that he declared that Wilmar should have a footman's training, and gave him a suit of light armor.

As for the servants, they were easily resolved - Hasid had even prepared a list of willing exchangees ahead of time for their citizens to be paired with family members in the opposing army. Despite coming off the worse in the skirmishes, Hasid's lord still sent his cordial greetings to Lord Belkrestar, and promised to win back its tributes next year round.

This puzzled us boys for a while, but Wilmar explained in a beery voice that it helped cement the ties between the towns, like a game of pigskin, while still keeping our martial talents sharp. Darkly, he muttered that there were those lords who did not observe the rules of engagement and fought strictly to kill, rape, and plunder.

Such had happened in the Disaster five years ago, he said. Though we pressed him to say more, he fell silent and I decided against prying.

Back at home, Bela had a straw bed for Anvaren and Sootri set up in my room, but she hurried them off to the weaver's for pillows. Wilmar tasted a stew and sighed in deep satisfaction - he had eaten dried fruit rations for too long. He gave her a resounding kiss and went to draw water from the well to bathe.

Prent and I sat on the floor in the kitchen with a pot of Casper's special shining spirits, carefully polishing each piece of Wilmar's armor and discussing how it all fit together, when Bela came in and abruptly told us to go play outside.

"But we haven't finished polishing Wilmar's armor yet," I said.

"And if we leave it damp, it might rust," chimed in Prent.

Bela took the kettle off the fire with her cloth gloves, then poured herself a mug of her special tea and set it on the bench to cool.

"Now you two just leave that for tomorrow, all right? It'll be fine where you leave it," she said. I noted an unusually sharp edge to her voice - not of hostility exactly, but more of urgency.

"But the water -" Prent began.

"The boys are waiting," I said loudly, cutting him off. "But I do wish we had something from the battlefield to show them." I said this looking directly at Bela's eyes.

She blinked first and sniffed, smirking wryly at me. "I'll be right back," she said, and strode away.

Prent looked at me questioningly. I continued polishing as though nothing had happened. Presently, Bela was back. In her hands, she held Old Carrustin's sword for me. She had somehow gotten it back from Wilmar.

"There you go. Now run along and don't come back until dinnertime, you hear?" I drew the sword from its scabbard, relishing the sight of every pit and dent in the rough alloy, then sheathed it.

I motioned to Prent. "Let's go," I said.

On the way out, we saw Wilmar's broad back as he scrubbed his chest and arms with wellwater and soaproot.
* ~ * ~ *
Lotal's father had done well too. Lotal came to the campfire wearing a fine sash that was once the Hasid column's banner. Apparently, when they had taken the standard bearer hostage, the captors had torn the flag into three strips, and Lotal's father got the deep blue strip - marked purple in places from bloodstains.

On seeing him, some of the kids asked why he was dirty, and that was when I noted that he didn't mind wearing the blood of the enemies. Lotal took that as praise, and we sat down at the same log to roast grubs.

Prent and Gelajer's father had come back wounded but full of spirit, his great laugh billowing across the noontime feast every so often. Now, as we younguns sat or shadow-fenced in the deepening summer gloam, the two half-brothers told and retold how their father had shielded Lord Belkrestar himself from a wayward arrow. None of us thought to question what a lowly tent-minder from Forg was doing in Belkrestar's column, nor how a foot soldier had been able to deflect a shot meant for a mounted lord.

Prasti alone sat apart from us, stirring the embers of the fire we'd made in the old ring of stones. His father had been borne back in a litter, a bloody wrapping covering his eyes and nose, and a compress over his shattered left upper arm. Prasti's father was a farmer, and without spoils of war or servants, there was a question about who would manage the farm in the autumn and winter.

Some deal with dashed hopes in strange ways.

Prasti had a harsh word for everybody that day. We made light of it, telling him his papa would be well enough soon. But when I told of Wilmar's deeds, he scoffed.

"Patrolling the streams? Not likely," he said. "I heard he was there to wash the camp's dirty laundry."

The rest of us were taken aback by this outburst, and Prasti continued.

"Think about it. Why else would Wilmar have been alone? Don't the guards patrol in pairs? If he'd been on patrol, why didn't he have a mace with him?" Prasti's asked, his voice rising. "And how did they say he caught the spies? Tying them up in clothes, wasn't it?"

I stood up next to him and wiped my mouth. He stood up too, his eyes set.

"Wilmar fought for Belkrestar, just as your father did," I said evenly.

"Aye, he fought by washing the cack-stains out of breechclouts and the puke out of tunics," he spat. "My father fought by facing a charge of horsemen and taking a hoof to the jaw. And who comes back with two geese, a pig, and two servants? And who comes back with both eyes blinded, a broken nose, and an arm so badly broken that he can't hold a fork?"

We were circling now, the other boys backed away, unsure of what exactly was coming.

"If your father fought as well as mine," Prasti said, "maybe he'd have come home with no spoils and a bodyful of injuries, instead of animals to roast, women to tumble, and nice clean clothing."

I let the "father" bit go, because it wasn't strictly true. Also, the animals - Prasti was right about that in any case. But the barb about the women and the clothes struck me in a way that surprised me, even as it stiffened my resolve.

Wilmar wasn't even my father, but I had marched alongside him and carried his armor. For better or worse, his name was my name, now. His honor, mine too.

I drew my sword from its scabbard, and Prasti - bless him - still stood fast, though I saw a slight waver in his eyes. In the flickering firelight, he could not know as I knew that the blade was blunt, barely good even for cutting the crust of a breadloaf.

Though I saw a glimmer of doubt in his eyes, I saw him master it and force it down all the same.

"So, Ah-Cob, you will wound me? Maybe I will be like my father then, in a way you will never be like yours," he said. His hands balled into fists at his side, and I could see he was still prepared to fight, despite the sudden shift in the balance between us.

I shook my head. I turned the sword around in my hand in a swift conveyance, and lobbed it gently to him handle first. It landed at his feet.

"Pick it up and defend yourself," I said.

He did, and no sooner did his fingers close on the handle than I was on him, feinting with the scabbard in my hand. He brought the blade up and met my scabbard, then slid it down to hack at my fingers, but I saw it coming. I closed one hand on his wrist and forced it down, and then hit him about the face with the scabbard's metal tip.

Still, he came back, swinging the sword wildly, all sense of control gone. A ragged cry came from his throat, guttural and savage, and he forced me backwards. I blocked the sword with the scabbard, but the heavy weight of the metal pressed back against my side and I had to use both hands to counter it.

The sword skittered off the scabbard and deadened my thigh in a pounding impact, then Prasti got a grip with both hands and brought it back for another swing. I jumped aside as it came and struck hard at his face with the scabbard. He staggered a moment and I saw I had drawn blood from his ear and nose.

I caught my breath. My leg was dragging slightly where he hit it. I was beginning to realize this could end up with somebody dead.

"Prasti," I began.

His only response was to hurl the sword point-first straight at me, and then to charge me, his arms flailing. The sword flew wide, and I leapt for one side, and almost made it but for my weak leg. He careened into my side, bearing me several strides onwards, and then we both came crashing down in a burst of cinders and a scorching flash of searing pain.

For a while, all I can remember is both of us screaming. At some point, seemingly much later, Prent and the others had grabbed our legs and yanked us out of the campfire. Prent got them to roll us in the tallgrass to put out the flames on our clothes and hair. My back was in agony, and I shouted for water. They put damp mud on my back and the nape of my neck.

Prasti had it luckier. His hands and knees were badly burned and he wouldn't be able to hold anything for a while, but I had taken most of the fire's fury for him. After they dragged him from the fire, they seized him and brought him to my side.

Even thus surrounded, Prasti stood defiant, despite his evident injuries.

At length, I overcome my own pain and looked at him. The other boys craned to hear my words.

"Belkrestar should have brought you along," I gasped. "You'd clearly have kicked that horse's ass."

Relief washed over the boys and even Prasti cracked a smile.

Prent and Gelajer helped carry me on their shoulders back to Bela's house. They wanted to knock on the door, but I knew better than to come back inside before sundown. Instead, they laid me on a reed mat and drew water to soak my back. Sometime afterwards I blacked out, but they told me Prasti came back once only, to return my sword and scabbard.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

New Relations

The village was small, but that helped somewhat. Prasti's father did not lack for aid around the farms, especially given the village's sudden riches from the battle. Women found time to tie their hair and roll their sleeves and help out with the animals. Men found time to turn up with tools and keep up the farmer's ditches in summer. When autumn came, they gathered in small groups and mowed through the crops in scything arcs. Prasti's family did all right by the rest of us, and he was back on his feet again by the first turning of the leaves, though his arm never was as able as before.

Wilmar didn't go back to the mines right away, though. Given his service in the past campaign, he spent a few days recovering and showing his kinsmen how the house was to be kept. Then one day he shouldered his spear and polished his proof and mail, and went to train with the footmen at the Himlak manse.

They showed him how to hold his shield so he'd cover his side and that of the man next to him. He learned how to set a spear in formation to meet a charge of horses - the same dangerous undertaking that had injured Prasti's father. He also wore a sword at his waist and learned how to take a man in the wrist, the forearm, and the inner bicep to disarming him, and then to sweep his legs out from beneath him in one smooth action before moving on.

I know all this because after things went back to normal, Wilmar never came home except to sleep. They cut his hours back at the mines, to make time for him and the other footmen to train. At first I enjoyed the absence, the closeness of coming home from the gemcutter's to a house with two silent servants and Bela's strident voice holding forth. But then I wondered where he had gone, and why Bela never seemed to talk of him.

Himlak had a chink in his sunward wall that I shouldn't have crawled through, and an oak tree on his property that I shouldn't have climbed, such that the men's exercises - which I shouldn't have seen - were all laid out for me. They huffed and they puffed, and sweated and swore in the sunset and into the early night by torchlight. I could see why children weren't allowed, either. Outside Himlak's estate, the newly-anointed footmen walked with a new swagger and did as they pleased, but in the slanted shadows and flickering flames, they marched, groaned, strained, and strove under a neverending torrent of curses and abuse from Himlak, as he drilled them mercilessly. Once, Himlak took his spearhaft to Wilmar's back, cursing him for a fool whose mother fell off a horse before he was birthed. To my shock, Wilmar scurried to and stood with head bowed, demurring to Himlak's harsh tongue.

After autumn grew colder, the training slowed down, though at times I heard they still continued, even in bad snow. Though it never happened to Wilmar, I heard a few other men were made to stand in their loincloths in the cold, as a test of their strength - or perhaps as a punishment. All this I heard and did not see, because the oak tree lost its leaves early and there was nowhere for me to perch to watch them over the central training enclosure.

The few times I was in the house at the same time as Wilmar, I did not test his patience. Whatever goodwill he had gained in the bask and swagger of the summer, he lost in quick order come winter's harshness. Once, I happened to be drinking warm water by the fireplace when he came in, shaking his shoes off. He gave me a glance that sent me to my room in quick order.

If nothing else, it gave me more time with Anvaran and Sootri. Anvaran was cautious at first, but with time she became guardedly talkative. Her voice was weaker than Bela's and she always said a phrase in Hasid's slang that meant "as you may say". She spent most of her day cleaning the house and cooking, and when that was over, she had some thread that she would knit into a crude cloth and sold for pennies. I soon learned that Wilmar gave her shelter and some food, and that was it - she got nothing else except by what her two hands could make. Still, she seemed content enough. Despite their differences, she got along with Bela and I would often see them in the kitchen together, at least after Bela came home from the tavern at the mine.

However softspoken Anvaran was, Sootri was like a deafmute by comparison. A skinny waif of a child, she followed her mother's skirts wherever she went, sitting down beside her to listen to her murmured stories or just to watch silently.

Just to see what her reaction would be, I started to leave a polished rock - about the size of a grown-up's fist - on her bedroll in the evenings. It wasn't a mischievous impulse, exactly. Just curiosity about whether the routine would change at all. Sootri's movements in changing her shift and lying down to bed were mechanical and exact each time. As it turned out, the rock merely added a single extra motion, where she would pick it up and gently set it down by her pillow.

She never once looked at me or said a single word as she did this.

After a few weeks of this, I started wondering what I would have done if Prent or Gelajir or the others had done that to me. Maybe demanded to know who was mucking about with my bedroll. Maybe even kicked a few asses. Certainly I would have said something. I studied Sootri with the same detached fascination that one might look at a bug thrashing on its back.

One night I put the pebble into the cauldron for tea water before putting it into her bed, very hot to the palm even through several layers of dishcloths. I went to bed first and turned my back to her pallet, then immediately regretted my act as she came in and changed into her shift. What if she burned herself?

As it turned out, she picked up the pebble, and then dropped it immediately with a sharp intake of breath. Then, my heartbeat filled the silence as I strained to catch her reaction. There was a slight rustling of straws, and the pebble set down gently by her pillow. She lay down without another word.

She was asleep long before I was, my mind filled with unease at my wayward prank.
* ~ * ~ *
The next day I asked Bela for some hand salve. I had prepared a story about a cup that was too hot by the fire, in case she asked why, as she usually did. But she wordlessly went to her cupboard and mashed a few herbs and added a bit of butter oil and gave it to me without questions. I got the sense she was angry at me.

I went to the back yard where little Sootri was beating carpets with a stick. She did not so much as glance up from her work. I stood beside her a bit, watching the set of her jaw and the thin line of her mouth as the dust flew.

"Why don't you take a rest," I called, over the racket.

She looked up at me then, her eyes squinting through the clouds. She put the stick down and stood, eyes looking just past me to the side, and somewhat downcast. Her hands were tight at her sides.

"Bela makes a cooling cream," I said, abruptly. "It helps draw the heat out."

I held up the little bowl of ointment with one hand. I gestured with the other. Sootri flashed a look at me quickly, distrust clear in her eyes behind her freckles.

"Your hand," I said, feeling oafish. "I figured the pebble might have hurt you. Let me take a look."

Reluctantly, she held up her hands. I looked - there were blisters on the soft fingertips of her right hand, but I couldn't be sure if they were from the pebble or from the work she did. I dabbed into the salve and smeared some on her first two fingers and thumb. She shifted uncomfortably as I did this.

I took a closer look. Impossible to tell whether she was hurt elsewhere. I hesitated, then dug into the salve and put it on all her fingers. Why quibble? I thought, as I smeared it into her palm and her other hand for good measure.

When the shallow bowl was empty, I turned from her and headed gratefully back into the house. Bela watched me laconically from the washbasin, and when I turned to go back to my room, she called me back and pointed out the door.

I peered out and saw Sootri standing there, staring first at her balmed hands, then staring at the stick and the rug.
I looked back at Bela, who raised an eyebrow.

"Looks like she can't finish her chores now," Bela said simply. "What are you going to do about it?"

Unsure, I walked outside and stared mutely at the tableau. Bela shifted her considerable frame into the door and leaned with one arm on the jamb, watching my discomfiture. With her gaze on me, I reached out mechanically and took the rug beater.

I looked at Sootri, with a moment's derision in my glance. Then I relented. Nodding my head, I said to her: "You should go back into the house. Dinner is almost ready."

She shot me a look of disbelief, then looked back at Bela, who calmly stepped out of the doorway back into the kitchen. Sootri looked back at me as I started to lay into the rug, and then left the yard to go back into the house.

As I sweated amid the dust, I realized she had won. All this trouble, and she still hadn't said a single word!
* ~ * ~ *
That spring, old Pento disappeared and never returned. He had taken to wandering outside the house, but he always found his way back home by scent. I roused Prent and Gelajer, and together we searched around the brooks and shallow ponds where the old dog liked to go after frogs. Finally we found him, curled up into a ball, a little ways into the woods. He looked like he was asleep, but his skin was like ice to the touch.

And when I petted his head, a many-legged insect crawled out of his right eye socket.

We buried him by a tree at the edge of the wood.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

A Woman Scorned

All through the spring, our men marched and trained and drilled in the Himlak courtyard. The iron mills clanged with the sound of pick on rocks and the furnaces belched day and night, turning out Carrustin's fine steel every week in spearpoints, shields, and blades.

There was talk of taking more workhands from Hasid, as spoils of war in name only, to bring to Forg and to help with the mines. Wilmar told this to Bela over his lunchtime meal, gulped in a hurry by the fireside, with the soup still scalding hot, as he raced from his mine shift to the training grounds. With more hands in the mines, our own menfolk would be free to train in Himlak's courtyard.

Bela said something in a low voice about the dangers of having too many soldiers and not enough husbands. Wilmar waved this away airily.

"Free hands to train with spears, or free hands to till the soil," he said. "It would all be the same. Better for Forg."

That summer, the campaign started a week early in unseasonably good weather. Lord Belkrestar rallied his townships and village banners at Fort Belkrestar, and the columns set off for Hasid once more.

They fought in pitched battles, in displays of tactical maneuvering and espionage, rather than outright clashes. The traveling minstrels sang of deeds and exploits on both sides, no doubt fancifully elaborated for our listening pleasure. At the end, they tallied the number of Hasid columns surrounded and prisoners taken. Forg had triumphed again, though the margin was smaller than the year before.

Several men came back with honors across their shoulders, in the form of strips of cloth from enemy colors, or salvaged armor from the other town. However, even those scraps of the enemy leaders' armor proved to be poor enough stuff when compared to our own craft. Carrustin's goods were unequalled, they said, and Belkrestar even gave the Hasidan leader a full suit of armor as a gesture of peace and friendship.

In return, many new faces appeared around town as the captives of war arrived and began their work. Many of them were distant family to our villagers, like Anveran and Sootri, and stayed at their relatives' homes. Others had decided to venture out on their own, and set up their tents at village's end. Some brought their children with them, and we found our hours at Parras' gemcutter house shortened.

As the summer progressed, Belkrestar gave us funds from his treasury to build shelters and small homes for the newcomers. Wilmar finished his work at the mines and went to Himlak's home full time to train each day. They got him a horse and he began to ride regularly. I divided my time between Parras' gemcutter's, Himlak's oak tree, and home. Bela also worked less at the tavern, giving Anveran that work instead. She raised a flock of goslings and geese from the two that we'd got in the summer before.

It all would have been a happy time, if it weren't for one thing.

Anveran was pregnant.

I hadn't noticed at first. Our meals were all larger than before, Wilmar's especially, given that he was now a horseman in training. We all filled out a little - ribs showed less, cheekbones grew fainter - but at the first turning of the leaves in fall, I saw Anveran washing clothes indoors in our kitchen, and the outline of her swelling belly surprised me.

I talked to Bela about it, and she said Anveran was getting fatter than the rest of us.

I thought this over and talked with Himlak's son, Lindo, at one of our chance meetings in the fields. He said my aunt was going to have a baby.

Bela's response, when I asked her about it, was less than cordial.

"Somebody should ask her where she got it from," Bela said tartly. "Babies don't fall from trees."

Even at that age, I knew better than to Bela up on that order. Instead, I made myself as quiet as possible, watching as Bela sat in strained silence by the door in the afternoons, sipping her endless cups of tea.

At night, Wilmar came back sodden with sweat and the stink of his leathers, and lay on the couch, exhausted. On the occasions where I snuck out early to check on the geese for eggs, he would be snoring away on the furs near our dining table.

When the leaves fully turned, Bela became quietly furious and I could no longer look on her face. Wilmar came home from target practice with his bow, and charging practice with his horse and lance, but he would be no match for Bela's ponderous rage. Cups broke. Pillows ended up soaked with well water. Clothes shrank in the washing of their own accord - the result of some calamitous soaproot accident.

Later on, I heard shouting in the kitchen, about something trivial. Wilmar said something about the soup, and Bela shot back something about Anveran being to blame - she was clearly dipping into the soup pots and was fat enough to show for it.

I left the house that day and went to Prent's home until it got dark. When I came back, the voices were still raised. I dug my hands into my pockets and went walking along the hillside near the mines.

From the height of the hillside, the village looked very cozy. Thatched huts dotted the landscape in the moonlight, between glittering streams and creeks, pushing their hearth smoke lazily up into the night air. I checked on a few traps and found a dead robin that was still fresh.

Crouching between a tree bole and a fallen spar of rock from the hilltop's bare peak, I made a fire (having perfected the two-stick method from earlier) and cooked and ate the robin. Then I rolled myself into a ball and fell asleep in the last night of warm weather.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Sanctuary

Prent started to wander the hills with me, roaming with our lunches packed and the hafts of unfinished spears to measure the miles. I met him far from my home so he wouldn't hear the shouting, but somehow he must have known. At the time, I thought Lindo probably told him about Bela and Anveran, though now I think he probably heard about it from grown ups.

In our second week of walking the mine hills, we found a strange cave high up on the riseward side. It had an opening to the sky, and a low overhang with a flat shelf on the inside. The stone was very dark beneath the overhang, but lightened on the shelf.

Eventually we realized somebody long ago had kept a fire here. Perhaps they had slept on the shelf at night, with the fire underneath keeping them warm.

I brought my sword up there, along with a bedskin and furs, so I could stay there occasionally. Sometimes it rained, whereupon Prent and I huddled on the shelf, watching the rivulets run through the hole in the ceiling and puddle on the floor. Later on, when the snows came, we kept a fire going there almost the whole time.

Slowly, I came to spend more and more evenings there. One afternoon, I saw Bela fixing food in the kitchen and asked her, in an unguarded moment, where babies came from. She turned, unhurriedly, and gave me a sudden backhanded blow across the face that bloodied my nose and sent me sprawling into a row of jam pots. Scrabbling to my knees, I saw her turn back to stirring the evening's stew as if nothing had happened. Fighting down the tears that smarted to my eyes, I turned and arranged the jam pots again, one by one, on the shelf, and walked out the door.

As the final rains and first snows lay about the village, I moved my clothes to the cave, leaving behind me the growing madness that had gripped Bela's household. Prent, friend that he was, brought me occasional gifts of food. As the weather grew colder, he pilfered a few skins and furs for me to stay warm.

For no good reason, I told him to tell nobody of this cave.

"I come here so they can't follow," I said. He nodded silently, and I knew I could trust him.

As the winter progressed, Prent came with news of the village. He told me that men in robes had gone to Lord Belkrestar, and that one such man with flaming red hair and beard had arrived in Forg. The man had gathered the young boys and girls behind him and set them to work learning to read and write, by order of Lord Belkrestar himself.

His name was Dartoraigh, though they called him Parson, and Prent seemed to like him well enough. The reading and writing they did was mostly stories and fairy tales, and the children sat in rapt attention as Dartoraigh talked in booming voices now, then in hushed whispers now, and then in the lilting banter of a court fool now, telling them his tales of creation and destruction, punishment and redemption.

Prent scratched a few pictures in the snow and taught me the sounds they stood for. I quickly tired of this and returned to my more usual hobbies - whittling, trapping, and swordplay.
* ~ * ~ *
Coming back to the village one dewy moonlit evening, I passed through the streets of hushed snow and mud, when a little child fluttered past me. I let her pass, then suddenly looked back, my breath pluming.

Something about her clothes looked familiar. In a few long strides, I drew level with her and peered sidelong at her face.

It was Sootri, a bright red spot in each cheekbone. She was walking at great speed, a tiny figure in the shining mud of the village's streets, and flapping her arms to keep warm. She wore a light jacket of cotton, not wool, and her cheeks were a deep, desperate red in the bitter cold.

At first, I wondered if I had lost my mind. Then I looked at her as if she had lost hers.

"Sootri!" I called.

She stopped abruptly and turned to look at me, her breath coming fast in the thin air.

"Cough?" she said quietly. Her voice sounded strange to me. Though I did not realize it at the time, I now see in retrospect this was the first thing I can remember she actually said to me.

I crunched through the snow to her, feeling the cold sharply in my hoarded skins and wondering why on earth she was wearing so little.

"What are you doing outside?" I said. "You should be in bed. It's freezing. Go back home, now."

She stood, shivering now that she had stopped her brisk walk. Her legs quaked at the knees.

"I can't," she managed at last. "I haff to valk till it' light." Her words came out strange, like she had trouble forming them.

I looked at her carefully. She was wearing a light pair of shoes, and her toes peeked out the broken ends, blue with the cold. There were circles under her eyes. When she shook, it was in bursts that wracked her entire frame.

I looked around. Everybody else was indoors, at hearths and home-fires.

"Who made you do this?" I said, at last.

She shrank from me and a look of growing panic crossed her face. I felt a sudden sense of nausea as I realized who was to blame, and understood Sootri's reluctance to tell me.

"I jutt valk. I like it out-fide," she said feebly.

I took off my outer wrap and put it across her shoulders, around her hair and tied under her chin.

"Can you keep a secret?" I asked. She nodded, and teetered, her eyes closing briefly like one in a dream.

I took her hand. "Then come with me," I said.
* ~ * ~ *
Sootri had a fever for a few days, and Prent came up every morning with some medicine he stole from his parents, after he got over his initial surprise to see her there. He lied to Dartoraigh, though it pained him to do so, and managed to get some healing herbs from the Parson, which he said was for his sister.

We kept her wrapped up and Sootri got better fast. But I learned then that Sootri had another problem that no amount of herbal soup would cure: She was completely stone deaf in her left ear, and could only make out a few sounds in her right. She had a habit of biting off her words in her throat before they were fully formed.

And although I taught her patiently, she never did learn to pronounce my name correctly, calling me "Cough" each time. I didn't hold it against her.

Prent's visits grew less and less frequent as he spent more time with the Parson. But he still came to give me the latest news. Sootri told him to keep the cave a secret, and he smiled at her and gave her a wheatcake.

One time he brought a strange object. I noticed it tied to the end of his walking stick, like two coins, only made of wood.

"That's an amulet," he said. "Dartoraigh gave it to me when I was able to recite the Song of the Heavens in class."

I looked at it. It was a pair of small wooden discs, carved with an arrow on one side only. He told me it was for protection and luck. Sootri asked if she could have one, and he gave it to her.

"There's a song called The Soul-Tree that he taught me," Prent said. "Maybe it was named after you, Sootri."

That thought made her laugh and clap her hands and ask him to sing it. She learned it by heart after just a few minutes. Over a few evenings' whittling, I carved a passable picture of a tree on the back of the amulet, and pulled enough threads from my sleeping shift to make a rough necklace for her to wear it.

Still, Prent knew how to keep a secret. He told me he never breathed a word of this cave to anybody in the town below.

On rare occasions, Prent could stay overnight, and we banked the fire beneath the rock shelf and lay watching the moonlight through the hole in the roof, our backs warmed by the fire beneath us, but our breaths still misting in the air above.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

The War Comes to Forg

Looking back, that winter was miserable enough, despite the distractions I concocted and the games I played to keep Sootri's spirits up. Our traps rarely caught anything, and collecting firewood to stay warm was hungry work, while staying out of sight of the town meant I had to do much of my wandering in the early morning and late night.

Without Prent's help, we would have had to go back to Bela's.

Halfway through the winter, Prent began bringing wrapped food that didn't look like it had been stolen. With the first bite of the unwrapped package, I knew instantly where it had come from - Bela's kitchen.

Prent told me that Anveran had gone to live with his father's sister to weave cotton, now that she was too big to shift at the tavern near the mines. Bela had called him into the kitchen and told him to take the package of food to me - fried marrows, boiled potatoes and carrots, and a little bit of roast geese.

Prent told me this and I blinked away tears despite myself. He looked at me gently and said "That's what Bela did, too."

I left my sword in the cave, and Sootri left her little amulet with the Soul Tree carving there too, beneath a pile of folded furs. We came down the mountain at night, and slept in an outskirt guest tent.

In the morning, we walked to Bela's house, as she was sweeping the doorway. She dropped the broom when she saw us, and came to us with her strong arms outstretched and her cheeks wet with relief.
* ~ * ~ *
Though I would not know it until much later, that winter was not just a turning point in Bela's hearth. It also saw the first motions of a development that would forever change our summer campaigns.

In other towns, lords plotted strategy for the summer, and village heads trained footmen in maneuvers. However, far to the forgotten setwards horizon, in the wastes of Grilom, one lord girded his soldiers and barded his mounts for more than mere exercise. With barbed spearpoints and poisoned sword blades, Lord Malarchus prepared for nothing less than elimination of his rival lordships.

Our stories of the threats out that way had been fanciful at best, talking of horned demons and winged fiends. We had mistaken the nature of the true evil that lurked at the edge of the kingdom - and forgotten that the world's greatest cruelties lay in easy reach of the hearts of the common man.

By the time the spring thaws had started, the armies of Count Malarchus had massed at the periphery. When they began their scything sweep across the civilized regions, their warlust and ruthlessness gave them an overwhelming advantage.
* ~ * ~ *
The first I heard about it was a call to arms from Himlak. Wilmar disappeared overnight, along with all the village's menfolk - levied immediately to Flex and Fort Belkrestar.

At first we thought the summer campaigns had been shifted forward to early spring. Then we began to suspect that it was something genuine: roving bandits, perhaps, or gangs of escaped slaves.

If there was any lingering doubt about the nature of this threat, it all disappeared on the holy day of Sunsgreet. Suddenly, shockingly, the two faraway towns of Roshan and Palt fell to the sable pennant on the same day, the severed heads of their former lords decorating their gates. The garrisons rallied to defend against the oncoming horde, but nothing had prepared them for the sheer ferocity of Malarchus' men. They took no booty and gave no quarter, fighting only to kill, raze, and despoil. And then move on.

Malarchus' split army had drawn both lords out of the defenses of their towns by employing a hitherto unheard-of tactic - both armies had set torch and salt to the farms outlying the towns. With the plowing just begun and the winter herds just beginning to birth, Malarchus' strategy was tantamount to cutting the throat of a calf before its sire's eyes. Outraged by this atrocity, both towns had mustered armies of hurriedly-equipped and lightly-trained men to fight him. As their columns met his, the soldiers trained for jousting and battle-play fell like wheat before the hardened veterans of the black pennant.

Belkrestar met with his fellow lords and drew up a plan of deployment. Forg was considered safely nestled in the heartlands, far enough from the fighting. Belkrestar brought all the available men out of Forg and into Flex to muster a force. The thinking was that it would take Malarchus the best part of two weeks to pillage the farms and regroup to march on Hasid or Lothgren next. Belkrestar's men would rest between the two, ready to see off any movement against their farms, and ready also to march on Malarchus' flank if he attacked either one directly.

Belkrestar did not know that Malarchus had sent - very likely the same day - a large group of riders to cut past Hasid's outlying villages and into Flex's hamlets. The group of riders was tasked with burning the mines at Forg, and destroying the source of Belkrestar's steel, some three days' ride distant.
* ~ * ~ *
They came to Forg at dawn, so they could ride safely in daylight at breakneck speed.

Prasti's father's farm was the first they came to, cutting down farmhands in the fields and torching the buildings there. They stopped briefly to torch Casper's vineyards and foul his wells, then headed past the shepherd's huts at the outer limits of the village, and towards the mines.

A few miners were allowed to go with the riders, to serve as guides around the town, and with promises of their freedom to tempt them.

The rest of the miners they sealed in the complex before torching the entrance. Most of those buried alive were not citizens of Forg - they were mostly workers brought in from other towns and villages. Nobody knew their names or if they had families to mourn them.

By this time, the women had begun to spread the word of the attack, sending out our fastest teenagers to run and bring a warning to Belkrestar's army, a day's run distant. For the rest of us, Himlak's manse was our gathering point. Bela lifted Sootri bodily out of bed and threw her across her broad shoulders, shouting to me to find Anveran and bring her to the safehouse.

I ran to Prent's place, where they told me she was staying at Dartoraigh's temple so the women could take care of her.

Prent came with me to run to the temple, but by that time the riders were back from the mines and galloping freely in the streets, carving down anybody they could get to as they threw lit torches on to thatch of our homes.

They got to the temple and sent a few of their number in with the slaves, to bring the occupants out.

Prent grabbed my elbow and drew me firmly back towards Himlak's, saying something the stone walls there, and Bela and the rest of the womenfolk and children. I tore my arm from him and ran towards the groundskeeper's house, hiding behind the corner there.

Screams began to issue from the temple, followed by a silence equally disquieting. Then, the invaders and slaves quit the building, driving a crowd of women, children, and robed priests before them.

Some of their riders set off down the road at a gentle trot, as soldiers on the ground barked out orders, commanding the slaves to force three captives ahead of them to stand in the middle of the road. Two of them were priests, standing stoically in the warming greys of dawn. One was a woman caretaker at the temple, who half-knelt, sobbing in the mud.

The riders wheeled around and charged them suddenly, blades singing as they passed. One priest fell to the ground immediately, the top of his head toppling off as stuff came out and turned red on the grass. The woman had turned to run and now lay with a sword-cut that cleaved her spine and laid open her lungs. The third priest had taken the swordthrust in his chest, but remained standing, swaying slightly on his feet and mouthing the words to some prayer until a rider came back and stove in his head with a mace.

They brought up the next line of victims. Anveran was among their number, her belly grossly distended. She clasped her hands together and screwed her eyes shut, murmuring. A soldier mockingly took her elbow and guided her to the execution spot with an exaggerated show of deference.

I cried out then, and the slaves noticed me. As two of them brought more captives for the horsemen, some soldiers on the ground leapt after me.

The chase was over almost as soon as it began. My legs had turned to ice at the sight of the churning agonized flesh, and by the time I finally turned to go, they were almost on top of me. A quick blow to the cheek blurred my vision and when my eyes cleared again, I was on my knees and surrounded by the condemned villagers.

They put me to one side, along with Anveran, and the slaves held onto me, forcing me to watch as the soldiers bared Anveran's belly to the elements. Her voice started off sharp and clear, then grew ragged at the edges. When they were finished cutting the infant from her steaming womb, she no longer even sounded human.

They held the bloody mess in front of me to see clearly.

It would have been a boy.
* ~ * ~ *
They stopped for a bit, as some of the slaves gave signs of a change of heart. Perhaps that was what made the scarred slave near me give me a shove, and that sent me headlong towards the temple fence. I cleared it in one great leap and pounded along the mudtrack beyond.

To this day, I still don't know what made him spare my life.

Maybe he had known Bela or Anveran from their tavern days. Maybe he had a son who looked like me, in whatever village he came from. Maybe he just sickened, as I did, at the sight of the riders' casual execution of our townsfolk.

They chased me for a ways, first on foot and then on horseback, but I cut past the miller's house and plunged headlong into the freezing waters of the brook. I pulled myself onto the bank on the far side, and ran across our ruined fields. Looking back once, I saw a group of horsemen circle a few times on the inner bank, then set off away from the village back towards the setwards roads.
* ~ * ~ *
Wilmar and Himlak returned to the village at about midnight, along with the rest of our menfolk. When our child messengers had arrived, Belkrestar had loaned the village a cart and horses to get the men back as soon as possible.

By that time, Malarchus' men had already moved on. There was nothing they could do about the mines, which had collapsed in the fire, nor the torched houses, which were razed to the ground. They walked among women who said little and moved like puppets.

Bela said nothing to Wilmar about Anveran. In the unbearable moments in Himlak's house, she had taken Sootri away from the windows when the riders had placed the first three villagers in the middle of the street. From the view of the house, though, it seemed that some women had seen only part of my escape.

Himlak's wife said I had been brave, if foolish, to run in and try to distract the soldiers from Anveran. Prasti's mother said she saw me break free from the slave and run. Not a few said I was lucky to be alive.

They did not mention the slave's help in aiding my escape. Perhaps they did not see.

The fate of the slaves was unclear to begin with, when the women cautiously came back out to start to lament and wail and tear their clothes at what they had just seen. Some ran to leave the village, fearing that their complicity had condemned them. Others stood about, equally dumbstruck by Malarchus' cruelty. A few helped to put out fires and to prepare the dead.

By the time the menfolk came back, it became very clear that the slaves who had run for their lives would be the best off.

After digging graves for the villagers killed, the menfolk forced the remaining slaves to dig a larger communal grave. They then gagged them, tied them up, and kicked them into the grave. I drew up as they began shoveling the dirt back on top of them.

Scanning the site, I saw one slave was scarred, and realized he was the one who had set me free earlier that day. Startled, I looked at Wilmar as he and his men set to work. I was about to say something when I remembered the tiny grave they had dug for Anveran's dead child. I turned back to the slave, seeing his eyes blinking as the dust flew into them from each spadeful of earth. Then after a few more spadefuls, his eyes were covered, and he was soon lost to view.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Recovery

It was a few days before I could think clearly about what happened. During that time, I found myself tormented by nightmarish images whenever I closed my eyes. The tiny, bloody clot of life that the soldiers held before me. The ragged hole in the middle of Anveran's being where her womb should have been, steaming in the morning cold. The clawing chill of the river water, and how it drenched my clothes so that even days afterwards, I shivered uncontrollably when even the slightest breeze picked up.

Anveran's child died, of course. Being ripped from his mother's womb so early on, I suppose there was no other fate for it. They buried him in a tiny grave beside Bela's ancestors in the graveyard.

Anveran herself lay under the diligent fingers and careful eyes of Dartoraigh in the temple. With careful stitches that puckered her stomach, and prayer when all else failed, Dartoraigh slowly brought her back from the brink. She remained in the temple for nearly a month, recovering. When she walked outside again, she walked exceedingly slowly. Ever after, her face bore an expression as if she had just been hollowed out, with little left to keep her standing.

I am hardly one to judge. The killing had left its imprint with me too. When the menfolk came back on horseback, the distant sound of their hoofbeats shook me to my core, and I felt the warm wetness of my uncontrollable fear long before they arrived. Even afterwards, hearing a horse's champing and stamping was enough to make me cringe.

There wasn't much time for recovery. Belkrestar could not be spared, but he gave orders to begin work on a trench around the town, where we would later put up a fence and then a wall. Wilmar started immediately, and every able pair of hands was pressed into service, mixing glue, felling trees, sharpening points, and digging.

As for Malarchus, there was no reprise. His attack had simply been a demonstration. With the towns of Roshen and Palt burning wrecks, Malarchus' raiders simply melted away, back across the badlands, and back to whatever hole they called their home.
* ~ * ~ *
It was three weeks' time before Belkrestar was able to return to Flex. From there he immediately sent his engineers and carpenters to Forg to restore the mine and unblock the entrance. They put in carved pillars of stone instead of the wooden beams that had collapsed before, so that even a fire would not collapse the shafts.

There was no summer campaign that year - or at least, none involving Belkrestar. Our men spent the summer months putting up a wooden palisade around the village's main buildings and the mine entrance. Later on, experts came with stonecutters to hew and carve stones from the mines to assemble a wall.

They set up a curfew and Himlak's men received weapons and armor from Belkrestar's own personal stores. The farmers at the edges of the village had armed guards in their houses, and though they took a share of the crops, the farmers were for the most part wary of grumbling. It was clear that we had woken to a new, dangerous world - where the sound of hoofbeats before dawn could mean the destruction of everything the family had.
* ~ * ~ *
Anveran and Bela had some sort of reconciliation thereafter. I saw her around the house more often, and then finally she moved back in, taking her customary place in the corner of my bedroom. Bela often set out her brewed tea by the window for the older woman to drink. Anveran occasionally roused herself to a smile when Sootri or I was around, but otherwise she sat completely silent by the window. It was strange. As Sootri learned to listen better with her weak ears, her high voice, speaking her oddly garbled words, joined the conversation at Bela's hearth. But Anveran was fated to gain the silence that her daughter had cast off - from that moment onwards, I would only hear her say six more words in the rest of her life.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

A Wall, and Weapons

One good thing came of the raid, grim though it was otherwise. With the threat of a future attack hanging over our heads, it was decided that all men of sound body would start training.

They pulled us off the fence building duty one day every week and stood us in rows with rough hewn spear hafts for drills. They barked commands at us and made us walk slowly forwards and stop. They taught us how to keep in lockstep, even stepping over bundles of potatoes they threw in front of us to stand for fallen fellows.

We learned to hold our spears and to switch them in formation so nobody was hurt, though at first I gave Prent a bruised shoulder from switching too fast. They taught us to heft spears upwards as we marched, to prepare for a charge. One boy - Lellik-jir - stopped short, confused, as the order was first given, the ranks behind him piling up in bemusement. He was taken to one side and coached.

After the second time, he was taken aside and soundly switched with a branch. He didn't slip up again after that, but he also didn't sit down for a while either.
* ~ * ~ *
Building the wall was fun. I mean, it hurt your hands to handle all the rough unfinished stone that was coming out of the mine, and the dust made you cough uncontrollably at surprising times. The masonry dust mixed with the mucus in your airways and left you with a feeling of breathing sand all the time. But even so, there was a certain grace and elegance of the measuring, the cutting, the drawing, and inscribing on the ground.

The masons made their measurements using string, which made for a perfectly straight line between posts. They showed me how to measure angles between lines so that, properly reflected, you could make two perfectly straight lines side by side that ran so they would never touch. With a weight tied to strings, they showed me how to mark a line that would go straight into the earth, such that no matter how high the line went, there would be no skewing or slanting.

I spent my time learning that mortar was essential for the strength of the wall. The masons showed me that if even a corner of one block touched another block, without any mortar in between, that would be a weak spot. It might take a few months, or it might take decades, but eventually it would crack the wall.

Sootri ran back and forth carrying lunches for the men - cold meats and vegetables, wrapped in a hard bread covering. We called them "brickhards", not least because of the bread but because it was so robustly packed. Prent's father surprised us all one time after he accidentally dropped his brickhard into the mud. He took off the bread and threw it to one side and ate the meat and vegetables inside without a pause - it was still good.

As summer turned to fall, the wall neared completion. It stretched from the far side of the colliery, where the outer wall presided over a steep descent outside and an ascent inside, so that defenders would have the benefit of height. The wall circled out to enclose the main village houses made of bricks and mortar, so that the villagers could run for cover in the town hall, in the temple, and in the town armory. Finally, it stretched setwards to end back at the mining hills, taking into its embrace the miners' huts and smelters.

The masons' work was finished, and it was time for them to return to Flex, the seat of Belkrestar's power. It wasn't until they had gone that we realized another gift they'd left with us. Every workday at sundown, an unruly market assembled by the mine, to serve the workers. Even in their absence, the townsfolk assembled and merchants showed their wares.

Forg became a market town, behind its carefully built wall.
* ~ * ~ *
And the training continued. By winter, the sergeants from Belkrestar had groomed another corps of men to follow Captain Himlak and Wilmar. They had even brought a few horses for us to breed and train as chargers and war-carters. Silent Anveran somehow got a commission to sew the Forg colors - a blue-hammer on a white field - for our flags and horses, and she worked with a circle of housewives to do so. She still cut a wordlessly closed figure, hunched and crumpled into her industry, among the other chattering women at the hearth.

In midwinter, they changed the sergeants and the men who started our training vanished one day to return to Flex. In their place came Terrek, a stern-featured man with immaculately neat colors, and a mean streak. He never seemed to raise his voice - even though his orders came clear and stark across the training grounds.

Terrek was a strange one. He was harsh, as all our training sergeants were, but at times he seemed undecided about whether to be our friend or not. One training exercise, he had us stop abruptly as Prent, our standard-bearer, got his orders confused.

"Bearer!"

Prent stiffened, his mouth taut. "My sergeant!"

Terrek clopped over.

"Which hand is your left hand?" he asked.

Prent raised his left hand - the one that wasn't carrying the flag.

"And which leg is your left leg?"

Prent stamped lightly with his left sandal. The wind flapped the banner in his right hand, and the shadow from it gave me brief shade as I watched, anxious.

Terrek walked smartly up to Prent's right shoulder, his collarbone level with the top of Prent's head.

"Which arm is your right arm?" he said.

Prent hesitated, then lifted his arm. The flag shuddered. He lowered his arm and hurriedly muffled his way through a switch. I lowered my eyes and bit my lip, my cheeks starting to burn, as Prent finally wrestled the banner across to his left arm.

"Stand out, bearer," said Terrek.

Prent took three crisp steps out and stood to attention again, his head bowed.

Terrek's voice rang out clearly.

"Your bannerman knows his left from his right. But he cannot keep them straight while marching. We will rectify this."

Terrek stood beside Prent.

"About face."

Prent turned smartly, to face us, the banner still fluttering over his left shoulder. His eyes were distant, as though knowing he was to blame, but unconcerned - for the moment - with our watchful gazes.

"Drop your pants," ordered Terrek.

Prent blinked. He almost turned his head to look at him, but caught himself in time.

Terrek paced twice and then stopped.

"Drop your pants," he said, with an edge of steel in his voice.

Prent crisply lowered the banner to the ground and kept it in the crook of his left elbow, the way we'd been taught with our spears. He fumbled with the drawstring of his pants and then released them, exposing his hairless nakedness to the elements.

It was not a warm day. The sun was bright, but fleeting, and I remember it disappeared behind a cloud in the cow-mottled sky at about that time.

Terrek watched, dispassionately, as Prent's vulnerable parts began to shrivel in the coolness. Then he moved.

He walked up until he was just an arm's length away, and I saw a stealthy movement of his baton. I cringed despite myself, as if bracing for the blow directed at Prent... but it turned out, for no reason. Terrek merely pointed with the stick at Prent's privy parts, as if calling our attention to a new maneuver.

"Bannerman, you will take note of your bodily reaction to inclement weather conditions!" he said, a triumphant tone in his voice. He pointed with his baton. "Left egg - lowers!" He shifted his baton about an inch sideways. "Right egg - raises!" He turned to us, storing his baton beneath his armpit.

"Footmen... repeat!"

We added our voices to the chorus, equal parts relieved and scandalized.

"Left egg - lowers! Right egg - raises!"

Terrek nodded. "Excellent. Anybody who makes this mistake again will be called up front to do the same, to remind us all how we stand." Then, to Prent, he said, "I trust everything is clear to you now, bannerman?"

Prent barked out "Yes, my sergeant!"

Terrek stepped back in satisfaction. "Good! Let me make something else clear to you."

The next sentence he said almost lovingly. It started with a gentleness that surprised us all, and then built - as a mother's wrath might - into a forceful reprimand that had all the malice of a bellowed oath, yet still in a speaking tone.

"I do not want to EVER HAVE TO SEE YOUR WRINKLY FRUIT PACKAGE AGAIN. Trousers up!"

He turned away. Prent knelt briefly and scrabbled with his pants and drawstring, relieved. "Yes, my sergeant!"

Terrek dismissed us after that and went back to smoke in his tent.

After that episode, it became very hard to tell whether we liked Terrek or despised him.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

A Summons from the Outer World

After the shortcakes and the dried fruits that marked my birthday in the deep winter, I paid another visit to the hilltop cave that Prent, Sootri, and I had called home for a few weeks the year before.

Some little animal had made its home there, but it had not been able to get to the ledge. I swept out the droppings and put down more straw to dry the floor. The sword was still in good shape, and poking around, I found two clinking things - and realized I was holding the pair of religious symbols that Prent had received from Dartoraigh the priest.

Sootri was a runner now, delivering messages about town on her quick little legs, and carrying supplies to the men at work on the town's new buildings and wall. She was also learning to hear with her good ear and learning to speak up so that others might understand her. Prent still spent as much time as ever by Dartoraigh's side, helping at the temple when he wasn't at the wall building or at training with Terrek.

As for me, I was surprised at how small the sword felt. How insubstantial it seemed in my grasp now. I looked at the taut, flat muscles in my arm and realized how little I'd been when Carrustin gave me the blade from his forge. With a moment's pause, I gazed on the flickering shadow of myself, thrown against the wall by the fire in the cave pit. I thought about bringing them back, the sword and the symbols, but decided against it in the end. These had been the hallmarks of a youth spent in huddling emptiness, fearing the beating that might never come.

We were growing up, now. The spearplay and swordplay in Himlak's yard might become serious work one day.

I left the cave as I'd found it, and still told nobody of it. What had seemed a precious aerie - a respite from the madness of the town below - now felt strangely shameful to me. As though the cave had become a reminder of a foolish child's game.
* ~ * ~ *
Terrek came to us one day with an announcement. He paired us off and set us to wrestle against each other, and then to play using wooden swords, and then to spar with blunted spears. We worked up a fine sweat, putting our previous lessons to work against live targets. He called a halt long past noon, when we were so hot we didn't even need our jackets in the winter air.

"Lord Belkrestar has decreed a contest of lists," he said. "Each village is to send four men in training to compete. The winning team shall return with arms and proof, and will enjoy personal training under Belkrestar's guard."

As you might imagine, this caused a stir. Though we pressed him for more, Terrek snapped shut after that and spoke no more that day. Instead, he worked us hard and sent us home with aching heels from all the marching.

I sat down at the table and raised my voice when Wilmar came home. He gave a sharp laugh: half-mocking, but half-grudging in respect.

"And you want to join the lists?" he asked.

I assured him so. He took another mouthful of Bela's stew and thought about it.

"Well, stranger things have happened... Such as a lowly mine foreman making lord's footmen," he said.

He stopped chewing, then regarded me narrowly. "One thing's for sure, though. If you're in it, you're in it to win, you hear? I'm not having some whelp at my hearth make a damn fool of himself with real military men watching."

This was not news to me. Through their whispered bedtime conversations in the next room, I had gathered from Bela and Wilmar that some others had envied Wilmar his military favor with Lord Belkrestar.

"Fortunately," he said, "you have a trainer at home too."
* ~ * ~ *
I saw less of my friends after that. When Wilmar came home from his shift at the mine, he washed up outside at the well, no matter how cold it was, and I did likewise. We then sparred, him pulling his punches with wrapped knuckles and blows from scabbards, adding his own bruises to the ones I'd gotten from Terrek.

The first night I collapsed into bed, my body a rack of agony. Bela came to my bedside to ask how I was, then sniffed the air and noticed I had not washed myself. She forced me out of bed into the dark chill of the courtyard to wash as the freezing water soaked me to the bone.

It was hard going. I ate more than before, but I got no plumper. Instead, my shins and outer forearms bruised, then thickened from the training. Occasionally Wilmar would put some real hurt into me, as that one time he put a thumb in my left eye, and then I'd patch up with Bela's unguents and go back to work at the wall, taking a day off from Wilmar's training.

He alternated a routine of blows to the body with me, expecting me to put force into my blows after he'd just knocked the wind from my belly. Sometimes he tied weights to our ankles and made me run after him. One time he dove into the river and I followed, not realizing my legs wouldn't kick underwater with the weights attached. My hands crisscrossed with cuts and bruises that day as I pulled myself along the sharp riverbed to the other bank.

I'd come home, my wrist and arm tired from sword practice with Terrek, only to find that Wilmar was going to beat the living daylights out of me unless I hefted my scabbard to duel with him. One evening I was so done in, I switched my scabbard to my off hand, and fenced him that way. He got a few good cuts in and made my head ring, but at least it was better than using my exhausted on-hand, which would likely have left me unconscious by the well until Bela woke me to force me to shower myself again.

At training with Terrek, factions formed and leaders arose. Lotal gathered a group of boys, as did Prasti, who had grown tall over the winter. They trained with interest and dedication, but in the end of the season when the spring thaws came, Terrek overrode their little political games, and instead chose four people without regard to their factions. On a clear, cool day, Lotal and Prasti were the ones gathered beneath Forg's banner, with Lindo representing the house of Himlak in the youth lists, and myself as the ward of Wilmar.
* ~ * ~ *
The journey to Flex, for one who had never left Forg, was an exercise in novelty. For a more experienced eye, I'm sure the horses we had were skittish, the ore cart we rode uneven, and the road jolting. But for me, each turn in the road showed new hills, new pastures, and farmsteads dotting the landscape between towns.

Every time we stopped, I sprang from the cart to walk barefoot across the land, delighted to my soul. For Lindo, who had journeyed with his father more than once, my awe was quaint and indulgent. But everything I saw reminded me of the breadth of the world that was ours if we could claim it, and impressed upon me the might of men like Belkrestar who had the power to do so.

We stopped the first night at a wayside inn to sleep in the common room after a warm dinner. It turned out Terrek and Himlak both knew the man who ran it, and he wrapped a small gift for us boys when we left – four cheeses, bound in wax, and smelling slightly of ripe meat.

Our spirits were high as the roofs and towers of Flex came into view: a walled town nestled beneath a brooding fortress on the hill.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Swordplay at Flex

Flex was listed merely as a town in the census of Thenol, but to me it was staggeringly large. They had a wall that put our little hurried construction project around Forg to shame - crenellated, patrolled, and festooned with banners of the various visiting trade towns. The roadside inns grew thick as we neared the main promenade, and our little cart quickly became lost among the din of traders and caravans entering sunsward.

They dropped us off at a guildhall where the rooms smelled of food. It was not quite an unpleasant smell. Terrek and Allin, one of Himlak's kin, took us to our rooms and we settled in, unwrapping the last of the food we'd brought from home. Outside, down two floors of well-worn stairs, the grown men-at-arms and bladed travelers traded barbs and oaths over beersoaked tableboards. Terrek confirmed Lord Belkrestar's stipend at the guildhall, and we fell to unpacking.

We stayed there for the afternoon, then Terrek clomped up to our room and announced, without preamble, that we would spend the rest of the week in training. We filed down to the halls, where older boys spent much of their time boxing, wrestling, and crossing swords.

He gave us padded poles and we practiced according to the tournament rules for our footmen youth lists. Small groups, each of four skirmishers, would take to the field. Each individual was allowed one shield and one spear - blunted, of course. The sole exception was the bannerman, who would carry a shield and no spear, but instead a flag with the township's colors. Each team was to eliminate all others in a contest of strength - forcing an opponent down on their knees would suffice, as would tearing away their spears. If a bannerman was forced down or allowed his colors to touch the earth, the entire team was eliminated.

Terrek explained a few group tactics to us: the cloverleaf formation, with spears pointing out in a defensive bristle; the wedge, with three pointmen charging forwards, giving cover to the bannerman a half-stride behind; the stonewall. In between patching bruised knuckles and scraped knees, he demonstrated individual fighting techniques - how to strike past the shield and into the opponent's flank, how to whip the spear to bruise the knuckles, or perhaps strike between finger and thumb so the hand automatically opened, and how to deflect incoming blows with the targe with just a quizzical angle, so that the shield arm did not tire so quickly.

By the second day, we had determined that Lindo would be bannerman. It was only fitting, given his status as Himlak's boy. Lotal preferred to heft his spear in his left hand, so we agreed to place him on the left flank so his spear arm could work unblocked, and his shield could work with Prasti's to give Lindo greater cover. For myself, I took right flank - arguably the more important flank, given that Lindo carried his own shield in his left and lacked protection on his right.

On the third day, the tournament began, and Terrek allowed us a break to watch from the lower wings. We trouped in with the rest of the spectators beneath the draped flags, and rose to our feet to cheer the various champions. They came from the various villages under tribute to Flex, and also a few visiting towns had sent their youths and men-at-arms too. Hasid, never a stranger to Flex, had fielded three youth teams and two adult champions.

On the first day of the competition it was mostly horsework, as that was what the journeymen had come to see. Belkrestar sat, a red-robed figure indistinct except for his black beard, beneath a shaded pavilion, as his son, Master Perringen, mounted up saluting and led the opening lists.

Names of distant village champions rang out from the crier as they loped in a broad ellipse to Lord Belkrestar's balcony and tilted. With the warm weather, all were lightly proofed - I saw nothing heavier than leather jerkins in the sunlight. That done, they cleared the field and the contestants entered the field in couples, to vie in earnest with blunted weapons.

"Just show," Terrek muttered quietly, as the crowd cheered a very palpable hit. "These are the sons of lords on field. They won't so much as scratch a fingernail."

Although the first bout was a stunning exchange of sword blows and counters, the truth behind Terrek's words slowly became clear. Watching closely, I could see the fighters posturing on their steeds, showing off to the crowd in the name of a fighting style, rather than actually striking for the felling blow. At times when blunted blade met blunted blade, there was almost a conspiratorial air about it, as if to make the blades sing out the contest for the benefit of the viewers.

I grew bored by the third round and began scanning the audience, looking for any other group of adolescents - our competitors. One cluster lolled on the floors beside the seated stage, chewing black bread and spitting out the seeds. I discounted those - probably just local boys here for the show. Further across the stadium towards the nearest corner, I saw a row of young men and boys wearing the colors of Hasid. Several of them seemed about our age, but it was difficult to tell who would be in the youth lists and who might be older.

Lotal snickered at my elbow as one rider overbalanced and almost fell out of the saddle. "Worse and worse!" he said to himself, his eyes scrunched into skeptical slits above his freckles and unruly red hair. Prasti next to him hollered, raising up in his seat as the mounted fighter in the field regained his. Only Lindo seemed to notice my distraction.

"What do you see, Cob?" he asked. I tilted my head towards Hasid's people, and he shaded his eyes before I shooed his hands down.

"Not so obvious," I warned. "Those are Hasid's folk. They're our rivals... but that's where Bela's family came from."

Lindo stared, oblivious to my warning.

"Some of them are really tall," he mused. "I reckon they have different ages to challenge Flex."

Terrek came up behind us and handed me a pouch of grapes. "Eat these and then we're leaving," he said curtly. "We're not staying for the whole thing - just enough to show you what it'll be like."

Prasti and Lotal took very few grapes, reluctant as they were to leave the show. Fortunately for them, I'd had enough of watching, and I ate enough grapes for us all to go back to training early.
* ~ * ~ *
Our own youth footmen list didn't start until the second-to-last day, by which time we had trained for five days in the cramped confines of the guildhall. We had gone out once, sneaking out without Terrek's knowledge, but the cobbled streets of Flex hurt our heels in a way that the dirt roads of Forg never had, and we returned, abashed, after only a few hours. Terrek saw us return but said nothing, although he ordered us immediately to the training room again.

In up close combat, Lotal was arguably the best of us. He reversed his shield and his spear in his hands, so none of us quite knew how to face him, as we were overwhelmingly used to fighting right-handers. Lotal knew our discomfiture and he more than once took us in the wrist, the forearm, or the armpit in an unguarded moment.

Lindo, perhaps because of his smaller size and slighter frame, was nimbler than the rest of us. Though his spear arm was not particularly quick, his feet carried him well around formations and between shield covers. Also, as bannerman, he was well used to carrying the Forg colors, and I was confident that his own innate pride would be as strong a shield as any wooden targe.

I was worried about Prasti, though. In Terrek's practices and drills back in Forg, he had distinguished himself by his unquestioning obedience and his ability to master new orders quickly. In the sparring room, however, I saw a certain slowness of thought behind his quickness of action. Each time he was called upon to perform a maneuver, he did it, without so much as an second's worth of wavering... or an inch's worth of deviation. In the chaos of a fight, however, this meant one thing: predictability. I flummoxed him in a training bout by opening my entire side to him, pointing my spear downwards in a brazen invitation. He thrust with his point, as Terrek had taught us, but still for the lower torso instead of the upper, as such an opening should have favored. With a turn of my wrist, I batted his point away with the butt of my spear and buried my own blunted point into the toes of his left foot - all in one fluid motion. In another bout, several hours later, I tried the trick on him again, and though he did not fall for it, he was clearly perturbed, so much so that had I not pulled my own counterattack, I would have taken him in the thigh. Prasti was a boy who knew how to follow orders, but I doubted whether he could learn how to fight.

Still, he was a strong-willed lad, eager, perhaps, to live up to the wounded legacy of his own father.

As for myself, I could not boast a quick spear arm, nor a particularly nimble shield arm. But one thing I did possess to a far greater extent than the others was endurance. Hours after we'd started, I would reach a state of flat concentration, with my body welcoming the exertion just as it had cried out under the punishing regimen of Wilmar's blade. Where other boys groaned under the rigors, I revelled. Terrek's curses and cuffs did not so much as faze me - with my pride and my skin both worn into a smooth shell by Wilmar's brutal regimen in the winter.

Every evening, while they timidly played at sipping mead from flagons in the central hall, or pretended to carouse with the serving girls, I would sit apart, carving diagrams of tactics and counter-tactics in the soft surface of the tabletops, my mind abuzz with theories of conflict.
* ~ * ~ *
Allin made it to the final horseman's duel, but on the last bout, he took a series of blows to the chest and neck from Perringen, Belkrestar's son, and the arbitrator called a halt and a victory. Still, the crowd cheered him as he returned to the stables, a not ignoble second place.

Terrek brought us leather jerkins, some light greaves, and a new set of bucklers crafted from Old Carrustin's forge. With new sandals replacing our old shoes of cloth wraps, we took to the field on the penultimate day of the tournament - one quartet of boys blinking in the sunlight among many.

The status of Forg as a village under Flex's protectorate meant that we leapt ahead in the lists, bypassing the first round of competitions. Now there were four teams left, with a group from Flex and their sister town of Hasid, as well as a New Aurim team bearing the King's colors of gold upon white. All three of them were well-reputed, and among their vaunted names, Forg was the scrawny brother. As we lined up with the twelve other boys to salute Lord Belkrestar, I felt a slight shiver run down my spine.

The others didn't look much stronger or taller than us, but there was a precision to their moves that we lacked. With two of them as wealthy towns, and one even from the capital of New Aurim itself, we began to wonder if our faith in Terrek's teachings was enough to deport us honorably today.

The crier ordered us to the corners of the field, and we had a muttered consultation. To the best of my memory, this was what we said:

Prasti (softly): There are twelve of them and four of us.
Lotal (loudly): Aye! It's hardly fair. We outnumber them one to three, the miserable swine.
Lindo: Do you think we can shelter with Flex? After all, they are our protectorate.

This gave me pause. Flex would likely not move to eliminate Forg, their own ally, in the lists, surely? But to so openly side with them would be an admission of our own weakness - and Wilmar had made me promise no bearer of his hearth would disgrace the Wilmar name.

Prasti: Twelve is larger than four.
Lotal: Not when they're laying arse-up on the ground it ain't.
Lindo: It's "lying", not "laying". And I think we should ally with Flex.
Cob (revelation): We'll take out New Aurim. Flex has enough of a rivalry with Hasid to keep them busy. So all that remains is for us to challenge New Aurim.

This created a stir. Lotal and Prasti both gaped at the folly of attacking the kingseat team, though Lindo seemed intrigued by the idea. He nodded and hefted the blue-and-white Forg banner to his shoulder.

"We go for New Aurim," he said simply.

Then the muttering died down, and the crier gave the clear command to engage, and four sets of spearpoints angled towards the center of the field.

As we'd anticipated, Flex's boys charged down the field to meet Hasid in a resounding melee, their spears held high and their shields held forward. Hasid met them head on, and the din of their shields and flashing spears clouded the field.

We were more cautious, well aware that we were the least favored group, but Lotal made several harsh stabs at a Hasid flanker, then followed us as we circled round Flex's rear and engaged New Aurim from the side.

We had surprise going for us. New Aurim had evidently assumed we would ally with Flex against Hasid, and they were focused entirely on weakening Hasid to eliminate one team. As such, their point man and their right flank were busy engaging Hasid, leaving their bannerman and left flank to hold the center.

Lotal gave a ragged whoop as he lowered and charged at the New Aurim point, flailing past his shield with his devious left hand. Prasti also charged the pointman, leaving me with the defense of Lindo.

In theory.

In practice, the New Aurim pointman recovered quickly from his initial surprise and took on Lotal and Prasti's attacks with a firm, practiced defense. His shield flicked in and out of their blows in a way that belied training beyond anything we had received. A stinging blow to Lotal's hand shook him, his spear almost falling free, and then a shield charge to Prasti brought him to the ground, and out of the combat.

I looked at Lindo and gave him a wave to the right, and we both charged the New Aurim bannerman. Terrek would later tell us that the crowd gave a long, disbelieving sigh at this crazed maneuver, jeopardizing the safety of our own banner, but at the time I heard nothing - my ears were full of the sound of the fight as we crashed into the enemy bannerman headlong. I took his shield with mine and thrust at him with my spear, holding his attention as Lindo came beside him with the Forg banner in both hands and wrapped it around his neck and forced him, cursing, to the ground.

It took three arbitrators to separate the fracas and to sort out what was going on, as the New Aurim trainer bellowed furiously from the stands. Ultimately, however, the rules were firm - though their spearmen were all still standing, impudent Forg had managed to pluck its bannerman. As we retreated back to our corners, New Aurim's boys spat on the ground near us - the capital city, not so proud, and first to be eliminated in this competition.
* ~ * ~ *
Prasti was not the only spearman forced off the contest. Flex had lost one spearman, and Hasid had lost two. Suddenly, the balance of power was shifting - we, the Forg contingent, were no longer the weakest. With New Aurim gone, there could have been little doubt that Forg would side with Flex and eliminate Hasid.

As the crier announced the second round, we moved cautiously, however. Flex had seen the expectations of engagement turn against the wind once already, spelling disaster for New Aurim. They no longer charged headlong against Hasid, but adopted a heavy defensive posture. Hasid's forlorn two men sparred with them at half-hearted range, and then we realized what Flex was doing.

By making themselves unassailable, they gave us and Hasid no choice except to fight each other. We reformed with myself taking Prasti's place at point and Lotal retaining his tricky left position. Lindo flitted about behind us, ready to break for a corner on his own if we came under heavy attack - a purely defensive move to buy us some time.

"There's only two of them," I said to Lotal, wincing slightly at my swelling cheek where the New Aurim bannerman had hit me. "You trick the pointman and I'll take banner."

Lotal nodded once, and we were off, leading a quick charge against Hasid. They saw us coming, and retreated as far as they could until Flex's pointman landed a blow against their bannerman. Crushed between my spear and Flex's pointman, their bannerman seemed almost relieved as he dropped the flag of Hasid. He went down at the same time as Lotal struck away their pointman's spear with a loud clatter.

And then Flex was suddenly upon us, snarling and raging with a ferocity that stunned me briefly. Wasn't there a pause before the third round? I wondered, as spear blows rained upon my shield. But no, looking at the arbitrator, there wouldn't be a break. Whether because it was the last two fighting, or whether Hasid's elimination was too clear to warrant a break, we would be fighting to the end now without the benefit of a plan. I took one blow to the shoulder that jolted my shield arm, and then narrowly parried a spearthrust to my torso, as I sidestepped over the wriggling Hasid bannerman trying to get free underfoot. With one leap I cleared him and batted away spearthrusts, getting back to Lotal.

His eye was swelling and his lip was cut, but that didn't stop him from hissing "Lindo's in trouble!"

I glanced over - one of Flex's boys had broken from the main group to take Lindo, who was making his way back towards us. Evenly matched though we were in numbers, Flex's pointman beat back Lotal's offhand spear sallies with a practiced hand and a sure shield. I tried to rush around him to get at their bannerman, but the bastard was crafty, bringing his parry round so that Lotal's own spear deflected my own, and then bashing me away with his shield.

Lindo made it back behind us, and I had to leave Lotal to his man as I focused on Lindo's assailant. The guy was a good sparrer, just like his remaining partner, but his legs couldn't keep up with Lindo's nimbleness. I engaged him shield to shield and thrust at his head, his exposed arm, his thigh. Each time he parried me effortlessly, and after the third strike he brought his spear butt up and walloped me hard on the ear, leaving my head feeling hollow and ringing like a bell.

Things seemed to slow down for a while. I lazily wondered whether we would lose, and whether it really was all that bad even if we did. After all, hadn't we already outlasted all the crowd's expectations of us? We, little Forg!, were still standing, when not even mighty Thenol remained. Surely it would be an honorable exit now?

Beside me, Lotal's opponent put out one savage thrust, and took Lotal in the pit of his elbow, forcing his spear out of his hands. I watched him stagger then straighten, furious at his spear drop and balling his hands into fists. And with a sudden heartbeat's recognition, I realized Lotal was out, and his assailant - more importantly - was vulnerable on his left jowl.

My spearpoint, blunt though it was, scattered the Flex pointman's bloody teeth across the field as I brought it hard into his jaw. The pointman made a complete revolution in midair before coming to an unconscious landing several bodylengths away.

Perhaps aghast at the ferocity of the strike, my own opponent seemed offguard for a moment. I redoubled my offensive against him, even as I saw his own bannerman move to engage Lindo. Much later, recovering in the guildhall, I would hear of our competition referred to as the "dueling banners" for the number of times our bannermen had come into direct combat, but all I knew at the time was that I prayed Lindo could take it as I thrust, spiralled, parried, and sliced at my opponent spearman.

I later heard that Lindo's opponent, the Flex bannerman, had charged him shield to shield, and Lindo had dropped his shield from the impact. Now defenseless and holding a useless banner haft, Lindo cut a lonely figure on the field - his own spearman defender far away taking a beating, and himself shieldless against a superior opponent. I hadn't known of this at the time, and it was a good thing too, because I might have given up if I had.

Instead - and I'll hold this to his credit ever after - Lindo twirled his banner haft carefully a few revolutions to wrap the Forg colors tightly around it, so they wouldn't touch the ground and risk disqualifying us. Then he faced off against his tormentor, banner haft held cudgel-like in both hands and with a firm set to his jaw.

I did not see this myself until much later, when I had lost my own shield and then taken a brutal spear blow to the ribs, and then wrapped my free arm around the enemy's spear haft, and then yanked it inwards while bringing my own weapon firmly against the shoulder of my opponent. When my vision cleared and I could breathe again in mewling gasps, I had his spear trapped between my armpit and wrist, and he was standing with a look of disbelief and dismay, his spear hand empty.

When I ran back to Lindo, his face was bleeding freely in places where the enemy bannerman had taken him to task. He ducked behind me so I could take the enemy's charge against my double-handed spear haft, but he was having difficulty seeing from the blood from his cut eyebrow. The enemy bannerman saw me shieldless and ignored me, charging me aside with his shield and tripping Lindo. Lindo almost fell but steadied himself with one hand on the grass, the other holding his banner upwards defiantly, and that was when I stepped past and caught our banner just before his knee gave out and he sat down heavily.

The enemy bannerman grinned in disbelief. I suppose I cut a ridiculous looking figure, holding a spear and a banner, neither of which I could rightly drop without forfeiting the game. But we'd come this far, and I was damned if he'd take them from me without a fight.

I cradled both the spear in my right elbow and levelled it against my enemy. On my left side, I did the same with the banner haft. When he came for me, I thrust twice on his spear side, making sure to pull back as fast as I could so he couldn't grab them or knock them out of my grasp. He hid well behind his shield, closing quickly and almost pinning my spear with it - I saved myself only by spinning on my right leg across his shield flank, briefly exposing my back.

We circled, and feinted left and struck right. He parried. Pulling back, I feinted right but then carried through, landing a blow that his shield took. He almost countered my spear arm, scraping against my wrist as I pulled back a second too soon for him.

He tried for my banner arm, and I hopped back, then went back to circling. This was futile - sooner or later I would make a bad attack and he would counter it and knock the banner or the spear from my hands.

I stepped back and wrapped my hands around both, holding them as one bundle. I dropped my stance so my hands were at waist height. The crowd went silent as I stood, inviting the blow, with my spear and flagstaff held across my thighs.

He stopped, uncertain what to do. He could strike with his own flagstaff, but could I trap it with my double grip? He seemed to dismiss this and closed quickly with me behind his shield, keeping his own haft out of the way and bringing his shield into my jaw. I had raised my hands to head height, not to ward off the shield charge, but to bring my arms up and over his head as he came in.

His shield knocked the breath out of me as it crunched my breastbone, but my hands won clear of it and looped over it, lodging beneath his chin.

I twisted to one side, pulling myself towards him, as we teetered on uncertain feet. Then I hugged him closer, wedging his neck tighter behind the joint spear and flagstaff, as I brought my right knee into the soft spot of his left calf, twisting it on the way down.

I barely kept my balance as he fell, the flagstaff clattering from his grip. As it was, I put out a hand to steady myself, and both worthless pieces of wood flailed and touched earth - a few clear heartbeats after his bulk subsided on the grass.

It was hard to tell whether the crowd was shouting approval or jeers as the crier declared Forg the victor today.
* ~ * ~ *
Terrek took us back early, possibly for our own safety. We even had to forego the prizes: specially-crafted weapons and armor. Instead, we left pretty much as we had arrived, as unknown youths on a nondescript cart heading along the cobblestone road to Forg.

Terrek promised us we'd get our arms and armor from Old Carrustin, however. And when we got back to Forg, they slaughtered five pigs in the courtyard and sang and danced for a day and a night for us.
* ~ * ~ *
Wilmar came up to me, his voice beery, sometime after midnight.

"Ah-Cob," he said, careful to use the respectful prefix. "I was looking at your prize and I wondered to myself - where's the other sword Old Carrustin gave you?"

My goodwill slowly ebbed away and I looked at him - drunk but not disagreeable, in the moonlight.

"Ah," I said. "I haven't really thought about it for a while."

Wilmar put his hand around my shoulder in a surprising gesture of camaraderie.

"I always knew you'd be a fighter," he said. "Just wasn't sure if anybody else would know." He let me free and swept his hands across the vista of the bonfire, the ore cliffs, and the wall.

"Guess they do now!" he said, and gave an abrupt, barking laugh.

I nodded at him.

It was the polite thing to do.

_
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.