Adam: Is this... Love? (comments)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Adam: Is this... Love? (comments)

Post by Manofevil »

Well there's part one. It gets a lot more torrid in part two. I'll post that when it gets done.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Well, you all are clearly reading this though not commenting. I'm actually fine with that but I sure hope I haven't offended anyone. Here's part two.

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

No offense, ManOfEvil, but this story seems to be stretching the "Grandmother Rule" beyond its limit. I won't take it down, but I've flagged it for mature content, and I'll check with the other mods as to whether it's acceptable to leave it up that way.

In a regular discussion-board post, it would definitely cross the line, but because the Fan Fiction board is intended as a place for creativity to run wild, we could possibly be more lenient here.

(Personally, I'd prefer it if the wording was a lot more coy, but that's mostly because it'd be more in keeping with the Gothic tradition, than because of the actual content.)

Let's see what the other mods think about it, eh?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:No offense, HuManBeing, but this story seems to be stretching the "Grandmother Rule" beyond its limit. I won't take it down, but I've flagged it for mature content, and I'll check with the other mods as to whether it's acceptable to leave it up that way.

In a regular discussion-board post, it would definitely cross the line, but because the Fan Fiction board is intended as a place for creativity to run wild, we can probably be more lenient here.

(Personally, I'd prefer it if the wording was a lot more coy, but that's mostly because it'd be more in keeping with the Gothic tradition, than because of the actual content.)

Rotipher, I must disagree entirely. The nature of the story requires that it be told with a frank artistic demeanor that is not afraid to shy away from the truth.

Also, and more importantly, I didn't write this story :P It was ManofEvil who wrote it. :D

My story, the one has brief nudity, which I wanted you to look at, is here: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=4250

Thanks! :)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Already caught that I'd written the wrong name, HMB. I guess I saw your name on the list of people on the board today, and mixed up which one of you wrote this one. :oops:

FWIW, I'd had no problem with your Islanders story: it handles things tastefully without going overboard. I think the Adam story is a bit more blunt than necessary, which makes it feel rather out-of-place for a Gothic world, but that's a personal opinion and nothing more.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:No offense, ManOfEvil, but this story seems to be stretching the "Grandmother Rule" beyond its limit. I won't take it down, but I've flagged it for mature content, and I'll check with the other mods as to whether it's acceptable to leave it up that way.

In a regular discussion-board post, it would definitely cross the line, but because the Fan Fiction board is intended as a place for creativity to run wild, we could possibly be more lenient here.

Dude, No offense taken!! If you'll check my earlier posts you'll find I WARNED people that it might be a bit too far over the top. They said post it anyway. I'm actually more comfortable having that adult content flag on this story. The one thing I'm trying to avoid altogether is any modern sexual slang. If any of it actually slips through I hope you'll all let me know and I'll edit it out. Sadly there will have to be victorian terms given the nature of the subject matter. I tried to consider exactly what Mordenheim would have said to Adam when he began pointing to pieces of his body and asking "What's this?". It's something every parent has to go through as their child learns to speak and ask questions. (OY! Can you imagine having to toilet train Adam? :shock: :? ) Anyway, we all know where this relationship is going. Those who don't, haven't read enough RavenLoft. Let's face it. There are no happily-ever-afters for DarkLords. I haven't quite decided how it's going to end exactly But I know where it's going in the near future. I got this idea from a comic book. Some time ago, when Francis Ford Coppala tried his hand at Dracula and Frankenstein, Topps comics did adaptations of the movies and took the opportunity to rewrite Dracula Vs. Frankenstein. At the beginning of this version, The armies of Napolion are conquering Europe and are suddenly driven back by an eight foot monster who was enraged by their attack on a small cottage where he had been shacked up with a girl who had been as badly misused by her own family as Inga in my story was. (Dracula comes in later) I decided to try to translate this to RavenLoft. I origionally had earmarked this to be posted on an adult fan fiction site called 'The Grey Archive' where all the stories are about fantasy novel characters. When the site went belly up. I figured it would never be published. I'm still hoping I'll be able to finish this here. Oy, this is definitely more than I meant to post here. I hope you all still enjoy the story.

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Understood. I can respect what the story is trying to express, and it is an interesting 'spin' on Adam. (BTW, have you ever read Fred Saberhagen's "The Frankenstein Papers"?)

That being said, your story may still have to be taken down. I'm sorry to be a party-pooper/censor here, but it does set a precedent that we'd hesitate to establish. :(

We'll let you know our decision ASAP, Manofevil.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Well, the mods had read it and we reached a concensus: the story as presented is definetively too far from the PG13 line we try to keep for our boards.

We do not mind mixing other fantasy genre into these horror stories, even some more adult themes, but the blunt language used and very direct expression of the primal desires and considerations of your caracters weren't always appropriate for this board.

For this reason, it was moved out of this public forum. We are pained as censoring isn't the first thing we think when looking at this fiction board.

In the future, please remember this guideline from the Kargatane submissions: less said is better. The classic victorian way, as Rotifer said earlier in this thread. Hints and veiled references are your friend.

We invite you to rework the story should you wish to, as the story arc is indeed a new twist on Adam, but without the details we could not really say to our 13 years old daughter or cousin :) However, given the touchy subject, you will understand we'd like you to submit it to a mod before posting it.

Please do not see this as blame from the moderator, it's not. It's a fiction board and creativity is of course encouraged. It's simply that you let yourself go a little too far on a PG13 board :)

Regards,

Joël, for all the mods
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Rats! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Manofevil on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

It occurs to me that you could leave the comments thread up and anyone who wants to read it may request it directly from me and I can email it to them. That way the mods and the board are not between me and the obscenity police. Wadaya think?

Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Sure!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Sorry, Manofevil. We had to draw the line somewhere. :(

FWIW, I can ask my sister if she knows of any adult-oriented fiction forums that would accept your story, as-is. She visits all kinds of fantasy fiction message boards, including the 'mature' ones for manga fans and so forth.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

'Sokay. I've just found out that the Grey Archive is still up and running. If I must, I'll post it there. Though they no longer seem to have the RavenLoft or DragonLance material they used to have. :x I originally went trolling the fan-fiction sites because, as a rabid and unapologetic RavenLoft Fiction junkie, I needed more material to feed my habit after the novels shut down. 19 books was just not enough. I didn't really find a lot out there, even when I included the adult sites. I was very glad to see that all my fellow fratties were going to begin providing for me. If I find any more out there I'll post the addresses in this thread for any other RavenLoft fiction junkies out there who just can't get enough. Here's a link to a list now:
http://www.fanfiction.net/l/944/3/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/

HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Manofevil wrote:
Rotipher of the FoS wrote:No offense, ManOfEvil.
Dude, No offense taken!!
I have my suspicions that Rotipher is female. Thus, that sentence should more properly read "Dudette, No offense taken!!" :)

Also, I am going to PM you for a link to that story in a sec.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Hokay. The link to this story is
http://www.greyarchive.org/document.php?id=1098
I shall post links to any updates.