Would a Fanfic section be of use on the boards?

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth

Would you like to see a fan fiction section added to the boards?

Yes, definitely!!
74%
No, I don't think that would really add anything to the boards.
3%
Honestly, I'm not too sure...
24%

Total votes: 38

Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Would a Fanfic section be of use on the boards?

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Just a simple little poll to see if the members, mods, and admin would be interested in having a fan fiction section opened up here on the boards. Again, please feel free to leave your thoughts on the matter as well as your vote. Thanks for your time.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I voted 'Yes, Definetly' although in truth I'm more of a 'Why not?'.

One of Ravenloft's strengths has always been extremely high-quality writing, so a fan fic section (much through I loathe that name) would probably be appropriate. The QtRs had some stories in them, but seeing as there hasn't been a new QtR since before I joined the forum, an alternative venue might be appropriate.

Come to that, IF this is approved and WHEN the VRS files are released, I might contribute a story or two.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'd write something for it.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I second the motion. We should bring a fanfic section and, um, write fanfics in it.

Edit: In the face of widespread indifference, I'm changing my vote. It appears people don't really like to read, merely to look at pictures. Perhaps this should be the "fan artwork" thread instead.

Oh no, wait! *slaps head* The mods can't change the forum titles, as was made apparent with the never-concluded fan fiction competition from last year! Never mind then.
Last edited by HuManBing on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

I look around, and I see some great ideas, and some great writers. I think thier are many talented people here, and I enjoy when they post thier stories. Although, I myself have no talent as a writer, I say yes a fan fiction section would be great.
Last edited by midnightcat on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

For those who'd like to see a fiction section included on this website, be aware that the best way to convince us to add one is to write something of your own, and present it here in the General Forum. If enough people clearly are both interested (the easy part), and willing and able to write material for submission (not so easy), then by all means, we'll see about making a Ravenloft fan-fiction board available on these forums. :D
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:For those who'd like to see a fiction section included on this website, be aware that the best way to convince us to add one is to write something of your own, and present it here in the General Forum. If enough people clearly are both interested (the easy part), and willing and able to write material for submission (not so easy), then by all means, we'll see about making a Ravenloft fan-fiction board available on these forums. :D
Awesome! Just out of curiosity, would you also be writing a story as well? I sincerely hope so, as I always enjoy reading your character posts. :D
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

Funny, I was just thinking about making noises about a fanfiction section...Though I'm not sure "fan fiction" is the appropriate phrase for it, but I guess there isn't another that would work better. I would certainly be posting things. I discovered Ravenloft, and the plot bunnies began to multiply, and multiply, and multiply... :shock:

And I think so long as folks remember that beta readers are a vital component of good fiction, the board can only be a good thing. :)
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Heh. Since "fanfic" has such silly connotations in popular web-culture, and since nobody official is writing stories for Ravenloft anymore, why not just call it "fiction"? :wink:

Wish I could promise to submit something, GoT, but for the moment, I've already got more Ravenloft stuff to write than my gaming-devoted brain cells can easily handle. Maybe this summer?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Shared-world fiction.
Ronia Sun
Arch-villain
Arch-villain
Location: Laramie, Wyoming, gearing up for another looong winter...

Post by Ronia Sun »

Not sure I've heard that phrase. What would you define as "shared world"?
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual. --Terry Pratchett
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

"Shared World" is a literary device whereby many different authors used the same setting and possibly the same characters. Its similar to the Lovecraft mythos, where the same people and places show up in the work of different authors.
Evil Reigns!!!!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

For me, Fan-fiction conjures up images of self-insertion furry erotic Star Trek, so I'm all for calling it just 'Fiction'.

I also observe that we have a bunch of people for it, (12 at last count), a number of people unsure (8), but only one person actually against it. Seems to me a fairly overwhelming call for a Fiction section.

Might I also suggest that completed works be fit somewhere on the main website? In the Library or Veranda, or perhaps a new section might be added (the 'Reading Room' perhaps?) Forum threads tend to disappear after a while, so it'd be nice to have one's work immortalized somewhere.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I think it's a great idea (I'll even try to write something for it, though I always seem to get sidetracked and put it off).

The best thing those of us who would like to see a fiction section can do is to make some fiction to fill that section up. There's no point in troubling the Frat to make a spot for it on their site if nobody submits anything to it. With that in mind, I think I'll go start right now. :D
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

NeoTiamat wrote:I also observe that we have a bunch of people for it, a number of people unsure, but only one person actually against it. Seems to me a fairly overwhelming call for a Fiction section.
True, although we're more interested in seeing concrete examples than merely voiced opinions as Sharon pointed out earlier. Don't get me wrong, though. We're more than willing to create a "fiction" section to the message boards. However, we want to be sure that it will get plenty of use and traffic. Obviously, it is easier to voice your support on something than it is to produce "X" amount of fiction each week/month...

JinnTolser wrote:The best thing those of us who would like to see a fiction section can do is to make some fiction to fill that section up. There's no point in troubling the Frat to make a spot for it on their site if nobody submits anything to it.
Exactly, JT! Create some threads and produce some viable stories. If the community comes together with enough material, then our Infernal Administrator can create an area for all of it.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]