Maison d'Sablet: Night of April 10th

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude, following Crow’s example, had taken a seat in the middle as well. She had prepared to settle into a mild meditation to while the time away. In the dark, there was little to regard and catch her eye and she doubted she’d be any good as a scout.

She turned at the elf’s question, wondering whether he was either ignorant or playing dumb. Either way, she had no intention on indulging the foolish question. “Ezra is the most popular goddess worshipped by humans on the Core, and who is revered here in Souragne. You should visit one of her churches either here or on the mainland if you are interested. Nevuchar Springs in Darkon has a temple which is very accepting of your folk.”

She looked around at the mention of the crocodile, but saw nothing herself in the cloudy night gloom. She turned at Buchvold’s question, straining her eyes to no avail. She listened to the exchange between Gerard and Rolande, and then quietly translated it when Dadrag asked. “The captain identified it as either a small crocodile or a large fish. Our guide has just remarked that this is not the route, and then translated the captain’s remarks for us. I assume he has done this so that we will either avoid whatever was out there- or at least see its approach if it chooses to try to keep up with us.” She didn’t present this as a question to Rolande, trusting that his own familiarity with the area- and instinct for self-preservation- would have caused him to protest if he’d thought there was anything wrong with this route.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Thank you kindly for the information. If indeed I do get a chance to visit a church here I shall."

Ah so that's it. I wonder what gods the elves worship here, if the rivvin =humans worship this Ezra. No need to bother this woman about it. Not that I'll visit a church anytime soon of course. maybe if we are lucky we shall indeed spot this large fish or crocodile and kill it. This way we'll all feel safer.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

OOC> Alhoon has rolled 16.

IC> "Thank you very much. It's not wise change our route though. The swamp is a dangerous place and it's very easy to get lost, especially at the night and with the rain. I trust our guide but I'd prefer just stop for a while, wait to see what the creature will do and then go back to our route. The choice is up to you of course."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I agree with our friend Dadrag here. It is never wise to change route. Let us wait and see if indeed that creature is still here,and take care of it. Then we can carry on our way" Tarlyn looks again at the water and any disturbances.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude sighed mentally as she patiently explained, “The captain of our little ship already made it clear upon departure that he would not brook argument with his decisions. Our guide is satisfied with his explanation for the detour; therefore, so am I.”

Her tone finally got more pointed. “If however, you wish to waste time going on a hunt for one animal among hundreds, you could always leave this boat and join us back in the Port with your trophies. The water here is supposed to be shallow, so you shouldn’t have to swim for too long.” I'm sure you'd find your prey soon enough, and if I'm lucky, he'll find one of you before that. Blessed sun, are they going to do this every time we see a wild animal? Such barbaric bloodlust...
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Hiro dumps another pale of water out of the boat.

"I only hope that should we encounter trouble in this swamp my blade endures to be as sharp as your tongue madam." he remarks "Their job is only to protect you and others so please spare them the high brow sarcasm you seem so more familiar with than an actual useful talent."

The sound of a bucket being tossed into someone echoes.
"Now could you please start baling, our biggest threat is sinking, this isn't a relaxing cruise down the river."

Gertrude looks down to see a bucket resting on top of her.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

“When I see people using the common sense that they were born with, I will be glad to put my barbs to rest, sir. I did not care to see our punt being returned to its docks. I also did not hear you bothering to explain to them why we shouldn’t waste our time with distractions. Next time, if my words offend you so much, feel free to address their comments first. I will be more than happy to be spared the effort.”

“As for the pail…” She handed the bucket to Crow. “It seems we are required to bail from the middle of the boat. Be sure not to splash your companions in the process. I’ll watch you first to see how that’s done.”
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ooc:Anyone understanding the drow language in the party will understand what I mutter if they hear me mutter it.

Tarlyn mutters under his breath "usstan zhah waela rivvil,honglath,dal sreen?" He shrugs then goes back to bailing,grinning.Well she can always protect herself, I suppose.

Translation=This is one foolish human,though clear thinking you are,we protect you from danger".
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Thank you Mr Hiro, I can get it from here."
Says Dadrag, as pays Gertrude an icy look. His face is calm though, as he has been in the same situation many time before.

"Madam, You haven't gotten the most important thing of our words, we have never said that we want to hunt the crocodile. We were just ready to shoot if it got closer. I think this was the reason we are here, to [/b]protect you from any danger. For me, for the elf here and I guess for my friend Hiro too, a strange shape that swimps beneath the boat is a probable danger, so we got ready. Also I doubt that you have been in a swamp before so you don't know its dangers and how to deal with them. I do know many of them since I have been to such a place before and I do know how easy is to get lost. I haven't also said that I'm not trusting our guide, I have only said that we should be careful. All clear?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn nods to Hiro and winks at Dadrag. He still keeps a wary eye on the swamp water as he bails with one hand, and keeps his handcrossbow cocked and ready in the other. I have no intention of swimming in this filth even though it isn't that deep. It is always better to be safe than sorry I say. Let her complain.If we don't protect her, how will she get there and back, with no possible harm to her? That remains very doubtful in my mind. Humans can be stubborn, especially the females!!!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

The bard, roused from his doze first by Seaven's warning and then by Kingsley's passing of the pail, blinks sleepily at the latter as its handle is given to him, then looks at the guitar-case, already filling his lap. Able neither to reach the water from his seat nor set the pail upon his knees, he has to sit and hold the blasted thing at arm's length until a lull in the bickering; at that point, he rolls his eyes and returns it to Hiro once more.

And another case of different social milieus in collision, he muses, exasperated by the pointless argument. Lady Scalpel's edge is keen, but perhaps not always judicious in whom it turns upon; even Serd has the tact to avoid squabbles with his own bodyguards! Not that the others' goading counter-remarks are helping: diplomacy is hardly a required course in the school of Thuggery-For-Hire, more's the pity.

Settling back into his catnap's huddle -- like Kingsley, he's content to trust Gerard to find their way, by whatever route; unlike the Zherisian, he's also satisfied relying on the hirelings' skills for protection, as dealing with threats that can't be argued into submission is not his forte -- the bard's brow briefly wrinkles in unspoken puzzlement.

That's not elvish that our new associate muttered, just now. It's not even one of the Sithican dialects. Similar, possibly, but I don't know what it was. Perhaps he truly is an outlander...

[OOC: Crow doesn't actually speak elvish, but I figured that a bard would have a sufficiently keen ear for language to recognize that Tarlyn was speaking something else.]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Well we aren't going to get anywhere by squabbling, we are supposed to listen to the guide, and this woman seems to know much, maybe we should just listen to the guide and Rolande, as we aren't really helping our cause at all. We cannot be like this when we meet this Chicken Bone.

Sounding somewhat apologetic, but still forced Tarlyn says to Gertrude"I am sorry if I have offended you , Madam. We should indeed let the guide do his work and get us to our destination. Let him worry about the swamp, he knows it like no other". Tarlyn bows his head slightly to Gertrude in respect and contiues bailing, putting away his hand crossbow.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Gerard has ignored the flurry of conversation; Rolande, on the other hand, has been about to speak at several points, but has been forestalled by others' interjections.

Seeing that the conversation is resolving itself somewhat amicably, he addresses himself to Gertrude, somewhat apologetically. "Madame K...er, madame, I have a great deal of confidence in our guide. He has lived here since birth; even on a night like tonight I can hardly doubt he can find his way. It is not as if we go very deep into the swamp; it will be only an hour or a little more before we arrive."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

As the bodyguards kvetched and then in Tarlyn’s case, pretend to reverse his decision, Gertrude mentally sighed to herself, grateful that they weren’t going to pester the captain with their idiotic attempt to change his mind. Protect me indeed; Draxton will be your first priority, thank heavens. If anything does happen, I’ll trust to Rolande and Girard, thank you very much, even if they aren’t the mighty hunters of the Core…

She smiled at Rolande’s interjection, shaking her head as if to dismiss any need for his apology. “I have the greatest faith in yourself, and therefore in your choice of guide, sir. I have no knowledge of the Souragnien terrain, but I had assumed that his reason for choosing this route was to avoid having any large creature swimming under our boat and capsize us.

“I am glad to know though, that the journey is going to be shorter than I’d first feared.” Thank the bloody sun for small favours! One concern had been flitting through her mind since the earlier random prophecy of the evening. “Sir, if there should be a thunderstorm with lightning, will it be safe to continue, or shall we have to find some kind of shelter out here- assuming there is any?” She looked around at the stands of trees that were scattered throughout the swamp. There was the old warning never to stand under trees in such circumstances, but they'd be hard pressed to heed it here.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Compared to most women Tarlyn has seen here in this hellhole of a land, Gertrude is somewhat different. She has an opinion and is not averse to showing it. Il zhah wun mzil i'dollen saph natha ilythiiri jalil - she is in many ways like a drow female. Tarlyn smiles to himself as he bails water. Well an hour is good, this boat is getting cramped, and I need to stretch! I most certainly hope that it does not begin to thunder and lightning. It would impede our business, and we wouldn't want this Chicken Bone to wait for us. Now that would be a terrible thing, wouldn't it? Tarlyn chuckles