La Maison Soloumbre: Afternoon of April 10th

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Buchvold smiles back at the good docter, and takes his own seet. This shoudan't take too long he thinks to himself
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Dr. Ananda rises and steps to the lectern, smiling brilliantly out at the assembled Brothers. "Brothers of the Fraternity," he says, in a tone commanding attention and promising it will be rewarded, "we find ourselves confronted with a great difficulty. For a long time we have been engaged in a struggle with various persons who have endured beyond the limits of death--persons who are therefore beyond the reach of certain of our most useful and powerful applications of arcane power. Foremost among such creatures is, of course, that which we refer to in the Mordentish as "lich"--those spellcasters who have taken on themselves Un-Death to further their arcane researchs indefinitely. Among the many difficulties associated with destroying such a creature is their penchant for hiding their "soul" away from their own breast, like the ogre in the Tepestani story. One who defeats the lich, wherever it may be, must then find and dispose of its soul repository, or phylactery, before it can regenerate itself by co-opting control of some nearby corpse.

However, properly viewed, this forms an opportunity as well as a difficulty; for some form of connection must exist between the soul and the creature at all times. Detecting this connection would allow one to trace a path to the phylactery from the lich, or from the lich to the phylactery; it also provides a strong clue (backed by many empirical descriptions of the actual practices of these creatures) that the phylactery and the lich itself must be found in the same Mist-bound territory, as the connection between the two dissipates if forced to endure continually through the non-space of the Mists."

Having given the basics of his hypothesis, Dr. Ananda proceeds to give theoretical justifications for his assumptions regarding the nature of the phylactery and its connection to the lich itself, and, finally, to unveil a pair of spectacles which he claims will be capable of detecting the bond between lich and phylactery.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton waits for Dr Ananda to finish and raises his arm to ask a question.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"Brother...ah...Brother Serd," the Rajian says, putting away the spectacles and looking out over the audience. "Please, ask your question."

OOC: Er...if anyone else wants to ask question in the meantime, that's fine, too. :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton raised from his seat so that Dr Ananda can better hear him.

"First, I would like to congratulate you brother for this very enlightening presentation. I believe the reason that this research is very important for the Fraternity is apparent to all of us gathered."
Draxton made a momentary pause.

At some point, you said that the lich's soul repository or phylactery must also been destroyed for the creature to perish. Knowing this, a skillful mage would do his best to protect it. While our hated enemy has not the centuries of experience some of this monsters have, he is certainy skilled with magic.
I would like to ask you Doctor, how can such a thing been found if it is shrinked with magic and cloaked with powerful illusions so that it seems like a normal stone and then is burried within a large wall, made either by magic or by undead labor? A mage with a few weeks to spare could hide such a "stone" in a wall 3' deep."

Draxton made another momentary pause and his gaze wandered around the Exalted brothers and the two Fathers.

"I would also like to ask the more enlightened among us, and more experienced; What Van Rijn can do? What are the known limits of his powers?"
Draxton's gaze lingered for a moment too long on Victor Hazan as he said "Perhaps those that knew him better in life and used to work with him, could tell us what magic protections we can be sure he will have in place."

Returning to addressing the whole body of the Fraternity, Draxton concluded
"I certainly understand that his known spells and powers are not his only weapons. He probably is more skilled with various forms of magic than we thought. His new allies also probably made him more powerful than he was. However, knowing what was he capable of doing in life and his mondus opperandi, will help us prepare better for what he can do in undeath."

Draxton sat back in his seat and waited.

OOC> What Draxton means is: OK we cannot know if he can cast finger of death. However if he was a master of fireball in life, he still is as a lich, so we also need potions of protection from fire. Crude example, but you get the point.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

"In responce to your second point, Brother Serd, I believe I can be of some assistance." Buchvold rises from his newly attained seat, looking daggers at Serd.

A Perfectly good lecture, and this pathetic nobleman has to ruin it by talking fraternity buisness, and practicly attacking Hazan's character. This is not the time or place for such things.

"Information on the traitor can certianly be obtained, Brother Serd including such facts as his habits when it comes to casting spells."Buchvold snaps at the man

"Please do not attempt to use this as an occasion to make a speach, Serd.I remeber the last time a lecture was turned into an oppertunity for such a speach. Don't you?"

"However, your first point is an interesting one."The Borcan relaxes
"I fancy I know the answer to it, but I am probably wrong. Dr Ananda? "
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

alhoon wrote:Draxton raised from his seat so that Dr Ananda can better hear him.

"First, I would like to congratulate you brother for this very enlightening presentation. I believe the reason that this research is very important for the Fraternity is apparent to all of us gathered."
At the nobleman's congratulations the Rajian bows very slightly, his ever-present smile lurking at the corner of his lips.
At some point, you said that the lich's soul repository or phylactery must also been destroyed for the creature to perish. Knowing this, a skillful mage would do his best to protect it. While our hated enemy has not the centuries of experience some of this monsters have, he is certainy skilled with magic.
I would like to ask you Doctor, how can such a thing been found if it is shrinked with magic and cloaked with powerful illusions so that it seems like a normal stone and then is burried within a large wall, made either by magic or by undead labor? A mage with a few weeks to spare could hide such a "stone" in a wall 3' deep."

"I would also like to ask the more enlightened among us, and more experienced; What Van Rijn can do? What are the known limits of his powers?"
Draxton's gaze lingered for a moment too long on Victor Hazan as he said "Perhaps those that knew him better in life and used to work with him, could tell us what magic protections we can be sure he will have in place."
Dr. Ananda is about to respond when Buchvold jumps up to interject his response to Serd's insinuations; after the Borcan's interjection he says, "The question is an interesting one, and one which the spectacles I have made is intended to answer. As you say, Brother Serd, a phylactery may be disguised in any number of clever ways, and never having had a phylactery present for study, I must limit myself to conjecture. Such an object must, of necessity, have a very strong necromantic aura, of a type and strength which cannot easily be concealed from those with eyes to see it; but even if the lich goes to extraordinary measures to conceal it, it must, perforce, remain connected through the magical conduit of which I spoke to the lich's person. If one can only encounter the lich in a sufficient diverse range of physical locations (or for one encounter of sufficient duration, circumstances permitting) he may triangulate the trace of death-energy joining the lich to the phylactery and determine a rough location for the soul-repository, thereby furnishing a relatively small area to be searched for evidence of the thing itself. Such, at least, is the theory; the practice of such a thing presents many difficulties, but I think we are well situated to overcome such."
Draxton made another momentary pause and his gaze wandered around the Exalted brothers and the two Fathers.
OOC: Actually, the two Fathers aren't present; this lecture is taking place in the library, not the grand hall, and the highest-ranking Fraternity members present are Exalted Brothers Pierre Lacomte and Eonarda Roeccha. (I believe Hazan isn't present either, actually.)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Nathan of the FoS wrote: OOC: Actually, the two Fathers aren't present; this lecture is taking place in the library, not the grand hall, and the highest-ranking Fraternity members present are Exalted Brothers Pierre Lacomte and Eonarda Roeccha. (I believe Hazan isn't present either, actually.)
OOC> Oh, oh... Then just assume that Draxton spoke without looking at them. If Hazan is here, then yes, he was looking at him.

IC> Draxton from his seat said "Thank you Brother Ananda".
Turning his head towards the Borcan he just said smiling "Brother Buchvold, I believe you understand that I didn't accuse or offended anyone or use this to make a speach. The situation is too serious for us to be playing little games.
As a note, you said you can be of assistance on my second question. So please Brother Buchvold, can you enlighten me and the rest of the gathered brothers about the traitors powers? His mondus Operandi? I'm sure everyone here is interested."

So Buchvold liked little games, and he tried to defend Hazan too. Let's see if he will be able to back his promise or if he will just give Draxton the opportunity to leave a veiled accusation that Buchvold was the one trying to make a speach.
If this turns out as Draxton hopes it will, none will figure he and Buchvold are to meet secretly that night. Draxton just hoped that the Borcan was skilled enough in the court's ways to understand that plan.
My DMGuild work!
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

"Indead it is, Brother Serd. That is why I was so suprised when you started doing so." Buchvold is back in full rage now

"As for the traitors modus opperandi, that is quite simple. It is all in the fraternity records for any one who wishes to learn it, and is prepaired to invest the time. This is not the occasion for anyone to give infomation, other than the good Dr Ananda"

OOC:Thinly Vailed insult that Serd can't be botherd to do any research, and thus dosen't deserve the answer
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Now half-perched on the edge of the study-carral's desktop -- his prior pantomime of brown-nosing for the fallen Vistana's benefit may not have elicited any overt response, but it was a handy excuse to remain upright and thus, gain a better view of the proceedings -- the bard permits "Brother Crow" an amused smirk at the two merchant-mages' exchange of barbs. His FoS-persona and Buchvold were already known to dislike one another, and a crotchety old grump like Draxton would hardly be his youthful Manior-guise's cup of tea; let whatever Fraternity eyes lay upon him see his amusement, that the wizards should verbally snipe at one another in the middle of a lecture.

Inwardly, the VRS spy curses at length, frustrated by the sheer number of distractions chance has placed in his way. He blocks out the sparring between Buchvold and Serd -- yes, it would bear inquiry, but this was not the time -- and the creeping leeriness roused by Roeccha's proximity (playing the same observation-game he is, perhaps?); he shoves the undeniable temptation to contemplate Ananda's theories (A true theory? Or were the 'spectacles' bait, to lure the lich's agents out of hiding? Not NOW, you sun-forsaken idiot!) down into the depths. Crow musters all the inner discipline his training and experience have to offer, and focuses on his true, vital task for this afternoon: seeking his own kind.

Not Serd; the man's a clod. Not Ananda; even if it's not a ruse of their own making, the Fathers would've clamped down upon the Rajian's loyalty like a vise, the moment they knew how badly his lich-research was needed. Probably not Roeccha -- else he'd not have missed half of Buchvold's speech; coming in that late was conspicuous -- nor the pudgy mathematician who'd left early.

Who'd been listening too avidly -- or, worse, too nonchalantly -- to the turbaned doctor's words? Whose eyes flicked to Ananda, when all others fixed upon the sparring merchants? In a room packed with villains and treacherous serpents, how do you spot the one breed of viper that prefers to feed upon its fellow snakes?

Crow knows too well that he is looking for a needle in a stack of needles, but he keeps on searching.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"Brothers, please!" Lacomte says, from the back of the room, his tone of voice making the phrase a warning rather than a request. "The practical application of Dr. Ananda's theory is clear enough, I hope, but the specific manner in which we must pursue our erstwhile brother is too large a topic for the present time. Let us give our full attention to Brother Ananda at present."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

As Ananda fields a few additional questions from the audience, the bard mentally shifts potential suspects up and down his list, and jots notes as the flow of discourse permits. Still feeling Roeccha's attentiveness press upon him -- dash it all, why'd it have to be the darkling who finally took an interest in him? -- he makes sure to pace his writing in synch with other attendees' transcription; his notes are about the members, not the Rajian's speech, but Crow won't advertise that fact.

(There's something odd about Ananda, as well -- the speaker's body language is 'off' in a way Crow doesn't recall seeing before, even on his own previous trip to Muladi -- but the bard doesn't advertise this fact, either. Having met so few upper-caste Rajians at close quarters, he can't be sure it's not cultural; for all he knows, it's perfectly normal for a highborn's arms to hang palms-outward, not palms-inward, whilst standing at ease.)

In the lulls between note-scribblings, the spy risks a second look at a few individuals whose overall demeanor strikes him as curious. The stalwart Falkovnian's interest is intense, yet overt: a double-bluff, if it's a bluff at all ... but one of Drakov's officers would have to be very good at deceit, to enlist in the Fraternity too. The man beside Vedarrak is either somewhat less sophisticated in his duplicity, or else bored stiff: the Dementlouise, whoever he is, exhibits a daydreamy distraction that's either overplayed or downright rude. Lacomte's unflappable calm remains unchanged from the glimpses Crow'd caught of him yesterday; if it's a sham, it's one which the curator maintains with the same practiced ease as the bard does, his own long-established personas.

And there's one other, whose bearing stirs the spy's intuitive wariness ... another man he doesn't recognize, or know a thing about. Crow carefully fixes the description in his memory; he'll have to find out more, when the session breaks up.

(Moreover, unless the Director's called away for yet another closed meeting of the higher-ups, the bard may have to do so under Roeccha's scrutiny. Bit of a bother, that: it'll have to be dealt with ... and soon.)

The bard glances back at Roeccha -- not subtly, like the spy he is, but hurriedly and with a hint of embarassment, like a student looking up anxiously at the teacher as the final minutes of an exam tick away -- then turns back to Ananda, frowning as if frustrated by the increasingly esoteric, technical, and wizard-specific questions now being asked of the Rajian. Witty and observant though 'Brother Crow' may be, his FoS-persona can't wholly hide the fact that the abstract scholastic shop-talk is getting a bit out of his "fringe dilettante's" depth.

Never miss a chance to let your mark think he's better than you.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton just smiles to Buchvold's remark raising his brow. As if what Buchvold said was obviously not the point. And looks towards Dr Ananda considering the subject closed.
When Brother Lacomte tells that the topic of the traitor is too large to exhaust it in this meeting, he just turns to Buchvold with a "I told you" look and a smirk, but says nothing and starts listening to the others asking questions.

Still Buchvold was out of character again. A mental note.
My DMGuild work!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"Are there further questions for Brother Ananda?" Lacomte asks, glancing about the room. "No? Then let us adjourn. Dinner will be held at five o'clock, and the evening session thereafter."

OOC: Now's a good time to buttonhole anyone you wish to talk to before dinner.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude joined in the polite applause that followed the end of the lectures, and filed out of the room with the rest of the brethren. She had expected more from the Borcan’s address, which had been seriously misnamed. Positive thinking indeed… Blessed sun, does he really think it would be that simple? There were of course objects embued with divine and fiendish powers- but they’d been created by people embedded in the system. Mages were capable of creating items which copied some divine spells and skills but to create an artifact- it was a recipe for hubristic disaster as far as she was concerned. And yet, what do you expect from wizards? the professor thought wearily. She doubted however that the plan would get that far; the Borcan lacked the charisma required to invoke such devotion or sympathy. He will fail, or he will be used. Either option was fine by her.

She had remained for Doctor Ananda’s lecture merely to see if he provided any information that the few books she’d come across hadn’t mentioned. She was skeptical about the lenses’ ability, considering the scarcity of liches on which to practice the theory. She hoped there was some form of backup plan in the case of failure and that she wouldn’t be present to have to suffer the consequences.

The slur on Hazan’s name and the ensuing squabble had left a bitter taste in her mouth. There was enough tension in the air, without slandering each other. They’d all personally got a taste of the security measures in place, and sun only knew how many they were unaware of. She’d also fought alongside the professor, while Serd had lurked invisibly in their shadows. Who knew where he’d gone, and what he’d actually done, if they were going to start accusing each other? “Stupid,” she murmured to herself in her native tongue. “Bloody stupid.”

She decided to venture into the gardens to clear her head, despite the brooding clouds overhead. The humidity was thick as she stepped outside, as were the mosquitos. Damned bloodsuckers; thank heavens we don’t have such things at home… A smile quirked at the corner of her lips. Unless we count the nobles, of course…
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude