La Maison Soulombre: Entrances

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Buchvold watches the little gathering from the sidelines.

He takes a copy of the lecture schedule from tha same servent. Plesantly suprised at just how many items were of interest to him, he begins to note which lectures he will attend. But as he writes, he is careful to keep track of the conversation.
Last edited by Moral Machivelli on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Moral Machivelli wrote: Well, as Lacomte has now been introduced to Crow anyway through Kingsly, it is hardly my responcibility to do anything
OOC: Actually, that's Hazan they're talking to--Buchvold's not off the hook yet. :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Llana wrote:In answer to his questions, she laughed. “Hither, thither and yon…A brief trip home, then Nevuchar Springs and Port-a-Lucine in pursuit of my studies. And then here…The Ezrans are certain that I shall be an anchorite by year’s end if I keep this up. I am considering taking bets,” she added with some amusement.
“You, a blessed anchorite? I’d be surprised too! But you see I’ve sometimes seen some people make unexpected changes to their lives. Mrs Kingsley, speaking of changes, I see you as somewhat…”, trailed Viktor, but then Crow moved to join Viktor and Gertrude, and he let his question without end.
Rotipher wrote:Eager as a schoolboy to impress them both, yet hesitant to appear so, he allows them to exchange a word or two before butting in:

"My word, 'tis a miracle! That volume you're holding looks as fresh as the day it was printed! I'd've thought every book in the place would yet shed soot on the carpets at a touch, assuming that's one of our salvaged fellow-survivors from October: goodness knows, it took days to wash the smoke-stench out of my own skin." He points joshingly at the book in the Esteemed Brother's hands.
Keeping the same smile, Viktor’s eyes open slightly more when the bard makes his entrance. Again, a quick glance to Laconte was met with a nod. "Its printing was finished last week, and this is the first copy", offers Hazan.
"But seriously, Master Hazan, it's good to see you again, settled into your new environs ... and already 'going native', no less! But of course, you're quite the fisherman, are you not? A silver lining to the gloomy cloud of misfortune, then: I presume your sportsman's inclinations are finding Souragne's wetlands a worthy challenge?"
“Well, you have no idea the size of the fishes we can catch in the area. And if I was going to tell you, you’d think it was another fisherman’s exaggeration. You will need to follow me on such a trip to see for yourself”, Viktor said, while looking intently at the bard.

“Oh, and please, forget calling “master”, it makes me feel too far away from my class. Your face is familiar”, Viktor lied courteously, “did I ever teach you ?”
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Tickled pink by Kingsley's playful curtsey, the bard smiles fit to light up the room, and winks to the ever-gracious Paridoner. Then he turns back to the Esteemed Brother, claps a hand to his chest, staggers backward with a mock-wounded expression of 'horror'.

"You don't recognize me; oh dear, now that is a grave blow to any showman's ego! Crow's the name, good sir ... and no, I fear I've no claim to the distinction of your past tutelage. We met at the Manoir, on that ghastly night of betrayals; point of fact, it was I who broke the ugly news of the traitor's ... transition ... to you, though I was shouting through a hole in the library floor at the time and it's quite understandable you'd not recollect my face.

"Thanks most kindly for the invitation, by-the-by; alas, messing about in boats doesn't sit well with my constitution. No riverman, I, although I've found other enjoyments in this rather soggy corner of the world. I arrived just a few days ago," -- he turns back to Kingsley as he speaks -- "and have kept myself occupied in cataloguing indigenous folklore, whilst awaiting greater events."

He looks to see if the Paridoner has a programme, intending to pass her one of his if necessary.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
Moral Machivelli wrote: Well, as Lacomte has now been introduced to Crow anyway through Kingsly, it is hardly my responcibility to do anything
OOC: Actually, that's Hazan they're talking to--Buchvold's not off the hook yet. :lucas:
OOC I know, but Lacomte's right behind them, He'll have heard Crow's name mentioned.
Joel wrote:he gave a quick casual glace to Laconte, who gave him a quick nod
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:“You, a blessed anchorite? I’d be surprised too! But you see I’ve sometimes seen some people make unexpected changes to their lives. Mrs Kingsley, speaking of changes, I see you as somewhat…”, trailed Viktor, but then Crow moved to join Viktor and Gertrude, and he let his question without end.
Somewhat what? Gertrude had time to wonder before the train of conversation flowed in another direction. Have I changed so much? The question touched upon a couple of uncomfortable thoughts, and she stored it away for future consideration.
Rotipher wrote:"... I arrived just a few days ago," -- he turns back to Kingsley as he speaks -- "and have kept myself occupied in cataloguing indigenous folklore, whilst awaiting greater events."

He looks to see if the Paridoner has a programme, intending to pass her one of his if necessary.
“There is certainly enough to study in that field,” she remarked, and then smiled her gratitude when the bard handed her one of the programmes. “Thank you… Mind you, there is much here that hasn’t been studied, period. Such wealth, and yet so little interest in education…” She briefly considered the paradox between this country and her own, then turned to Hazan. “It must be difficult to be so far away from the Universite de Richemulot. Do you plan to return in the fall, or have you decided to take an extended sabbatical to pursue your own research here?” It was a bit of a euphemism, but not entirely. Souragne was a dream for anyone who sought to pioneer any studies; the locals had produced few books themselves- there would be no worry about local competition.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote: OOC I know, but Lacomte's right behind them, He'll have heard Crow's name mentioned.
Joel wrote:he gave a quick casual glace to Laconte, who gave him a quick nod
OOC: Er, yes...but remember, it's a crowded room, and Lacomte is talking to people too.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

OOC Ok

IC As Kingsly is now talking to Hazan, Buchvold seizes on this oppertunity to get this introduction over with. He walks over to Lacomte, who had just finished talking to his current "friend"

"That is Brother Crow, sir." He indectates Crow. "Did you want to have a word with him?"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote:OOC Ok

IC As Kingsly is now talking to Hazan, Buchvold seizes on this oppertunity to get this introduction over with. He walks over to Lacomte, who had just finished talking to his current "friend"

"That is Brother Crow, sir." He indectates Crow. "Did you want to have a word with him?"
"Ah...so that's the man," Lacomte replies, looking at the group conversing a few meters away. "If he's occupied in conversation at the moment, I won't interrupt. I assume he passed the preliminary identification-test; did he have anything of interest to report regarding possible interlopers?"
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

"Nothing I'm afraid. He happened to be aware that Brother Serd had been staying at his hotel in Darkon, but that was the limit of his revelations"

"Goodday sir"

Buchvold returns to his observance of the conversation, and his note taking
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moral Machivelli wrote:"Nothing I'm afraid. He happened to be aware that Brother Serd had been staying at his hotel in Darkon, but that was the limit of his revelations"
"Oh? That's interesting...did he actually meet him there? No? Did he say how he knew Brother Serd had been there?"
"Goodday sir"

Buchvold returns to his observance of the conversation, and his note taking
"Good day, Buchvold," Lacomte replies. As Buchvold returns to his note-taking, he looks up to see Lacomte still looking at him, with...amusement? Curiosity?...on his face. Half-smiling, the elderly gentlemen mimes writing in a notebook and makes a gesture of approval, then turns to greet another arriving brother.
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Rotipher wrote:Then he turns back to the Esteemed Brother, claps a hand to his chest, staggers backward with a mock-wounded expression of 'horror'.

"You don't recognize me; oh dear, now that is a grave blow to any showman's ego! Crow's the name, good sir ... and no, I fear I've no claim to the distinction of your past tutelage. We met at the Manoir, on that ghastly night of betrayals; point of fact, it was I who broke the ugly news of the traitor's ... transition ... to you, though I was shouting through a hole in the library floor at the time and it's quite understandable you'd not recollect my face.
“I’m then so sorry I forgot your heroic participation in those events”, Hazan said, returning a mock salute, “but there were so many persons at this reunion I do not remember all the faces. Too many persons, indeed, but that’s something else. Well, when you’ll be as old as me, you’ll see what it is to forget things”, said Hazan with a wink.

“Would you be so kind as to help me remember your name?”, said Hazan.
Llana wrote:“There is certainly enough to study in that field,” she remarked, and then smiled her gratitude when the bard handed her one of the programmes. “Thank you… Mind you, there is much here that hasn’t been studied, period. Such wealth, and yet so little interest in education…” She briefly considered the paradox between this country and her own, then turned to Hazan. “It must be difficult to be so far away from the Universite de Richemulot. Do you plan to return in the fall, or have you decided to take an extended sabbatical to pursue your own research here?”
“During our stay in Souragne, the most poignant feeling for us scholars is the isolation we imposed on ourselves. It means no access to the rest of the University: no new books to read, no new elaborate theories to discuss with friends. Alas, I regret those discussions at the Université pub with teachers and pupils”, said Hazan, slightly frowning, "and I count on this reunion to get updated on what's happening in the bright minds outside."

"But it gives time to read, or reread, many things. Funny how things get a different interpretation when you are away from everything. We studied new mnemotenics and it's amazing the changes they bring to your concentration.", said Hazan with a bright smile. "And the most shocking is I even found one scholar was always citing my work with a mistake in my name, "Victor" with a "c" instead of a "k"", said Viktor, laughing. "You see we are really isolated here and have too much time on our hand!"

“However, this island is not without charm and intellectual challenges. And also, being isolated like this has one very important benefit: focus.”, said Hazan with a glee in his face. “By eliminating other distractions from your mind, you have no idea how we progressed here in our individual arcane fields.”

“So, to answer your question, yes, we plan to return, and when we will, it will be with Van Rijn head on a pike. Can’t say when, but this moment will be happening, believe my words”
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude listened somberly to Hazan’s account of the past few months. The lack of educated company outside le Manoir would be annoying enough, but then there were the magical limitations…How have they managed to get around them? Their safety had been maintained by their few numbers here and their careful self-imposed isolation. But now van Rijn’s spies were sure to be noting the number of Fraternity members suddenly on the move in the last couple of weeks. She hoped this meeting would be worth the risk…and that they had discovered enough clues to let van Rijn now be the one on the run.

She hid her concerns however, and laughing remarked, “How utterly Falkovnian of you, Professor; I fear you might have been here too long already…And if you would name the cad who maligned you with bad spelling, I will see to it that he shall never repeat that error again.” Her face was briefly a caricature of fierceness before returning to her usual composure. “May I enquire into what line of studies you have been pursuing? Or are they still in progress?”

She looked with curiosity at Crow when Viktor asked his name. She had mentioned the bard's name; Hazan was hardly a forgetful man. A brief hint of concern and caution rose in her eyes as her own early suspicions rose to the fore once more.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

As Kingsley and Hazan chat about the latter's recent studies, Crow steps back politely, to let the professors savor their scholarly 'shop talk' without fear of boring a non-academician. He takes a quick peek at the schedule for the days ahead -- very grateful that his makeup obscures his slight blanch, when he realizes just how many of the Fraternity's upper-echelon members will be making an appearance -- and stomps his foot, to further veil this involuntary reaction with a display of pique.

"Dash it, of all the luck!," he grumbles sotto voco, "Two of the lectures of greatest interest are running concurrently; I'll have to pick which one to attend and which to pass up." He casually slips one of his two remaining programmes into his notebook -- a 'souvenier' he'll devote considerable time to analyzing, assuming the bard survives to update his dossiers on the more-influential FoS members -- and then pens a few check-marks on the other copy.

And all the while, he listens: to Viktor Hazan's deceptive affability; to Kingsley's slightly-forced lightheartedness (Blast it, the man's right: she does seem a tad more somber.... ); to Buchvold's surreptitious word with another attendee, the curator from Port-a-Lucine if he's not mistaken. Listening to tones and undertones and vacillations, as much as to plain content.

Hoping to anticipate the next curtain of security-screening, before it descended to ensnare him.

Him, and Van Rijn's spy or spies, however many the lich had sent to learn of his enemies' plans....

[OOC: Just to clarify, the bard will be using Sense Motive almost non-stop, all through this game. While pretty much everybody at the meeting has some unscrupulous hidden agenda, if he spends much time with people who are up to things that go beyond the usual dirty-dealing expected in such company, he should pick up some hint of it. Likewise, if anyone's operating under magical influence or otherwise "just ain't right".]
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

OOC: This next bit assumes Crow still has Tiahn with him--is that correct?

"Your permission, Brother...you play?"

Crow turns to see a dark figure gesturing ever-so-slightly at his guitar. His new interlocutor is a rather small man--man?

The glass-green eyes, the pale complexion, and the pointed ears just visible in the long hair are more than enough for the correct identification. The Brother is a half-elf, a few inches shorter than Crow, and thin; he is dressed expensively but conservatively in the Invidian style. A single white lock runs through his otherwise pitch-black and perfectly straight hair.

"Ibelis natha Quiret, your servant," he says. His Mordentish is accented slightly with Balok, and more slightly still with some other language--or languages? (A moment's thought places the accent at the Kartakan-Sithican border.) With a self-deprecating gesture he continues, "I meet so few of the brotherhood at these functions--I mean, of course, the bardic brotherhood--that I thought I might venture to impose my acquaintance."