In an expensive hotel in Martira Bay

Join us for our Halloween celebration
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

In an expensive hotel in Martira Bay

Post by alhoon »

26th December 759

Draxton paces up and down in his lavishly decorated room. Things have been good for business in Richemulot and he could afford very well to not go back for some time and let his son and his nephew run the business.
He smiled when he remembered them. He has promised to leave most of his considerable fortune to the man that seemed more capable to take over the business. The other would inherit far less.
His son was furious at the beginning about this, since he felt slighted that his father wouldn't just drop on to him everything he has earned with hard work.

Anyway, the mercenary his contacts have told him about should come in about an hour. Draxton would hire the man after an interview whatever his contacts have told him about. He was still a businessman after all.
Last edited by alhoon on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Dadrag looks again the letter he has received the day before. It was an invitation for a meeting, a new task probably and a good opportunity to get some money. One of his old companions has found him and told him about the merchant who has come to Martira Bay and wanted a bodyguard. The ex-assassin looks his old cloak; it was time to change it. But it was also the name of the merchant which made him agree meeting him, his name was familiar to Dadrag.

An hour later a black-haired man at his early thirty’s with gray-blue eyes walks in the hotel. He wears a black cloak over his chain shirt and a long sword is hanged at his hip. Dadrag asks immediately which was the merchant's room. A servant leads him to it. The ex-assassin knocks the door and then with steady steps walks in.

“Mr Serd I presume.”
Last edited by VAN on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton stands and motions the servant to leave them alone. The room is large and furnitured with expensive pieces of art and furniture. They are in a large room with a door that leads to the bedroom and a large door that leads to the corridor of the hotel.
Draxton takes in the man with an appraising look. He seems good enough. He motions the man to a chair and says:

"Indeed I am. Our mutual aquintance told me you are interested working for me. May I offer you wine and ask you your name?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Dadrag accepts the offer and says:

"You may call me Dadrag."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I believe you are informed about the job. Still, I would like to refresh your memory, just in case our aquintance has missed something." Draxton moves to the door, opens it slightly to make sure nobody listens and returns to the room.
He approaches Dadrag and speaks slightly above a whisper. His tone is one of a man advertising his merchantise, but his witty eyes seem as if appraising the other side. Most people could tell Draxton is a successful merchant just observing this stance and his tone.
"I need somebody skilled in the ways of the wilderness who also possess certain indoor abilities like trap finding and disarming and stealth. I need this man to guard my back as a trusted companion to my adventures to recover lost secrets. This man should also be able to handle himself in physical combat and also protect me from the horrors that may hinder our way to enlightment and knowledge."

In less flamboyand tones, Draxton goes on.
"Also, the ... recoveries call for some measure of secrecy, so I wouldn't like this man to speak more than he should for the benefit of both of us. I happen to know a few things about your ... background and you seem to fit nicely in this description.
I believe you should find the adventures interesting and the reward for the man responsible for my safety will make these adventure at least as much profitable as your ... abandoned career."

Draxton Serd puts on a smile and asks with a pleasant voice,
"Do have any questions mister Dadrag? I would be more than happy to answer as many as I can".

OOC> Bleah! Serd sounds like a venomous snake in this conversation. Still, this kind talking came as natural to me for a man like him.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Dadrag remains silent for a moment thinking one more time the offer. He has heard that Draxton was generous when he was pleasant for a job, he had worked with him one more time after all.

"I can be the man you need Mr Serd, but first I want to know some more details. How dangerous will be to do the recoveries you want? Because, as I understand from the tone of your voice and from the secrecy you want, or is someone else after these recoveries or someone is after you. I have no fear to face the danger, you might have heard about that, but I want to be prepared."
Last edited by VAN on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"To hire someone with your skills and pay handsomely, you could safely guess that the recoveries will be dangerous. We will probably encounter opposition while aquiring what I need. Also, while not as often I hope, envious enemies may want to steal our findings and harm us in the process. Now Dadrag, if I may call you so, do we have a deal?" Draxton smiled pleasantly.

"I find this duty to my liking mr Serd or Draxton if I may call you so too."
Dadrag answered smiling wryly.

"It's deal then Dadrag!" Draxton said shaking hands with the ex-assassin. "Now could you accompany me for a walk? We could talk more freely out there."

Walking in the crowded markets of Martira Bay, Draxton chatted with Dadrag about this and that, smiling, commenting normal business deals, the weather etc.
"So I figured that in my homeland, hats that have got out of fashion in Dementlieu are sold triple as much as can be purchased in Dementlieu! I make quite a profit from that. Add to this the profits from costumes, wigs and dresses and I'm thankful that we are a bit behind in fashion."

"Draxton," Dadrag smiled, "Have these two people that have been following us for some time, helped you establish your business here? Perhaps in Dementlieu? Perhaps the man on that roof?"

Draxton's smile deepened. Dadrag had spotted all the hirelings out spying. Even better, he hasn't spoken out about how they probably helped him establish his business here or in Dementlieu. The man has obviously guessed that he had eliminated opposition in the very profitable trade of out-of-fashion clothes from Dementlieu in less than legal ways. After all, Dadrag has put a hand once in the "dealings". Still, he let Draxton now that he knew and remembered. To Draxton, Dadrag was a Richemulotese out of Darkon.

Draxton let his handkerchief fall to the dusty road as if by accident. The men were lost to them within moments. Draxton looked at Dadrag's smirk and smiled. "You passed both tests Dadrag he said."
"I know Draxton. The second test being more important than the first, right?"
The ice has melted between them now. They both new that the deal actually started this moment, not when they shaked hands and smiled in the hotel.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

While walking, Dadrag asks:

"So, when do you plan to do this trip to Dementlieu?"
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

29th December in Dementlieu.

Draxton smiled as he boarded the Ship that would carry them to Mordent.
"We are going home Dadrag. A quick visit to Richemulot and then back to Darkon. This time, it will be Nevuchar springs. We will be back there within a week or 10 days mostly."
The mercenary looked curiously at his employer.
"So fast? Won't we stay there at all?"
Smirking Draxton looked at Dadrag. "You can ride I suppose. I'll provide fast horses"

Phantom steed was a very useful spell. Dadrag would figure he was a mage sooner or later after all. And Kingsley was probably in Nevuchar springs already.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Dadrag smiles at Draxton’s comment.

“Such fast horses ah? Interesting. As about riding, I’m a skilled ranger now and I can ride very well."

A moment later Dadrag's face return serious.

" In Richmulot, I hope your job is with humans, or if it’s the different kind of job, I’d prefer if it isn’t with humans.”

Dadrag’s face remains expressionless, but he cannot hide the spark at his eyes.
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A small, wry smile cracked Draxton's face.

"Oh, don't worry. The horses are fast. And I'm quite safe in my estates so perhaps you could take a day off."

As in hindsight Draxton continued looking to Dadrag sideways.

"How's your uncle?"
Dadrag looked at Draxton quizzicaly, he had no uncle... except if Draxton meant ... the "uncle"? Draxton has mentioned that he knew that Dadrag has retired from the criminal activities of Richemulot. The Uncle was still a successful crime lord, along with his "cousins" and "nephews". He has helped some of these "nephews" to gain positions of power, he sold protection rackets and he also used blackmail to expand his coffers and his influence.

As he saw hints understanding coming into Dadrag's eyes, Draxton's smile deepened and he turned to face the mercenary ex-assassin.
"I hear that some of his cousins are very fond of cheese and perhaps you would send them such a present. One should not cut off ties with the family without good reason. I'll give you the adress of one of his cousins as soon as we reach my estates. So you can pay him a visit." He said and without waiting Dadrag's answer he went to the ship's captain and started chatting about the weather throwing just a glance to Dadrag.

Dadrag only half-noticed. He has been stunned. The Uncle and the Cousins were wererats? That's how the Uncle knew who was to blame for ...
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Dadrag’s face becomes red from anger and bloody veins appear to his grey-blue eyes. His usual cold and expressionless face is now a mask of pain mixed with hate. His hand goes automatically to a dagger at his belt, but he doesn’t pull it out. Instead of that, he turns to face the sea and a tear appears at the corner of his left eye.

Dadrag is not sure what Draxton wants from him and would give this precious information for free. The ex-assassin has lived 10 years in Richmulot and knew very well that never a Richmulotese would share information such easily without wanting or waiting something. For sure the merchant knew that Dadrag had some issues with wererats and wants to get benefit, maybe he only wants this “Cousin” dead, maybe something more. But what Draxton really wants doesn’t care Dadrag now, the word “revenge” bumps at his mind and the image of his little Melinda covered with blood made his heart and his stomach ache. These wererats would pay too and since Dadrag knows how powerful and influential crime lord is the “Uncle”, the “Cousins” would pay for him and for what had happened to Melinda 3 years ago.

A glimpse get Dadrag’s mind, maybe it wasn’t a just a coincidence that the wererats of the opposite guild learnt about Melinda and killed her to revenge his assassinations to their guild. The “Uncle” maybe knew about her and would be very easy for him spare the information, wait the crime and then direct the furious Dadrag against the opposite guild.

The ex-assassin grapples the side bar of the ship because he is afraid that he up to loose his balance. He feels dazed and betrayed. It was all planned; his little daughter was only a pawn. He was only a pawn.

That moment Dadrag notices a rat running on the ship. From the few people at this side of the ship, no one is able to understand when the ex-assassin gets a dagger and when throws it to the rat, killing it immediately.

“There would be fewer rats tomorrow.”

Says Dadrag between his teeth, as he goes to get his dagger back.
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton looks "shocked" at the rat. He turns to the captain and looks at him angrily. "I cannot believe that we haven't set sail yet, and a filthy rat takes a stroll on the board! I'm going to my cabin, and hope that I find no rats there!" Then he turned to leave. He could barely hold his smile any longer and wouldn't want the captain to see.
The deal has been sealed. He would prefer a bit more... finesse in the agreement than a bloody rat, but well... Dadrag was a mercenary.
Walking towards his cabin, he spared a look at the rat.

Lord Carbin should know to avoid stepping in his business.

A few days later, in the Serd Manor house in Richemulot.

From his office's window, Draxton could see Dadrag on his horse approaching fast enough, but not trotting. The morning sun was barely covered in clouds. He turned to his assistant and the representative of the dye merchants.
"I'll not give more than we have already agreed Stephan! I don't care that bandits have waylaid your lord's shipment to my estates. Be thankful that I don't ask for recompensation for the delay. Now if you excuse me, I have urgent business."
Stephan nodded. "Ok. It is agreed then. We don't give recompensation for the delay but we also don't increase the price. I believe lord Arasaim will accept these terms."
Draxton made a dismissive gesture. "Go before I change my mind."
Once Stephan left the door, Draxton told his assistant. "Find who was behind the bandit attack. It was no coincidence, that's for sure. Perhaps Lord Arasaim himself, but I cannot guess why. Oh, and call Dadrag in immediatelly."
A few minutes later, Dadrag covered in dust from the road entered the office. Thankfully he didn't step on the Pharazian carpet.
"I didn't expect you until midday Dadrag. Why such a harry?"
"Lord Serd", the mercenary replied, "I received bad news at the inn I was taking my time off. I returned because I was afraid of your safety."
"My safety? What do you mean Dadrag?"
"A crime most foul my Lord! Lord Carbin has been found dead."
Draxton pretended shock and fear.
"No! How?"
"He has been found murdered in his bed. What was most strange was that a child's doll has been left on his bloodied corpse."
"Strange... and very sad. He was a good man. A rival, but we had mutual respect for each other." Draxton said nodding saddly.
He turned to his assistant.
"Inform the stable master that Dadrag and I won't leave today after all, Semesta."
"Why not?" Dadrag asked
"We have to attend the funeral Dadrag! Lord Carbin was a respected merchant and a member of the aristocracy. While the last few months we were at odds, he was a very successful businessman."
Dadrag only bowed his head.

A Richemulotese born in Darkon, Draxton thought again.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Back to his room, Dadrag looks again the ring at his finger. It has passed almost 3 years from the last time he has used it in order to change his appearance. The mercenary smiles wryly as he remembers the facts of the last night. He has promised to himself and to Virgilio to not assassinate again. He has learnt from the old cleric and his ranger assistant how to made sleeping poisons instead of the normal. He had tried hard these 3 years to change life and use his skills and abilities to find old tombs and retrieve lost magical items instead of being paid to kill. But it needed only to mention the word “Uncle” and his frustration and hate for wererats came back as if nothing has changed these 3 years.

“Ah, Melinda, you would be almost 9 now.”

Says Dadrag as the image of her beautiful daughter comes to his mind. The feeling of anger gets him again. The ex-assassin gets deep breaths and tries to calm himself. At least in some way he has revenged Melinda, or that was what Draxton makes him believe. Cold sweat gets Dadrag, because he wasn’t sure that the man he has killed yesterday was really a wererat. Actually, it was the first time he thought that maybe Draxton has only used him. Dadrag realizes that now he is invulnerable, the merchant knew a very important information about him and he could use it or to prompt him to kill his rivals or if something goes wrong, against him. He had to do something about that, to protect himself, just in case.
- W H A T ! ? !
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Later this day in a neighborhood at the other side of the city, Dadrag knocks the door of a single house. A tall woman at her early 40s who opens remains gasps from the surprise.

“You. Here? When?”

“Calm down Lousy, it’s everything ok. I will leave soon, but first I want to speak to Willy.”

“You shouldn’t have come here.”

“I said it’s ok” Says Dadrag and checks one more time if anyone has followed him, then he enters in.

At the living room a man at his early 40s too, stands up and motions to the mercenary to follow him to the basement.

“I was sure we would meet again Shadowviper. What brings you here, more revenge?”

“Job. Honest job. And by the way I’m only Dadrag now.”

“Really? So you have nothing to do with the last night murder ah? A “Cousin” was killed and for what I know he was I wererat.”

Dadrag manages to hide his relief, at least lord Carbin was really a wererat.

“No. It’s only a coincidence. I’m here because I work for Draxton Serd…”

“What do you have for me Shadow…sorry Dadrag?”

“Get this purse now, it has 300 gold in, you will have more lately, depends on the information you give me. Tell me now what do you know and then search for more. You can find me here till tomorrow and then I’ll go to Darkon. I’ll keep you informed to my address. I warn you Willy, if anyone knows that I’m looking information for Serd you are dead and the shop burnt. Gion Satcer keeps asking who betrayed him. So?”

Willy smiles.

“Please, have a seat. Wine?”

Dadrag smiles back and tosses him the purse. It’s good to have good old… colleagues.
- W H A T ! ? !