The Library II

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

The Library II

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The single most important room in the Manoir is not a true room but instead a series of small sections. Small sub-walls divide the area as do the massive oak bookshelves that line every wall. These heavy shelves groan under the weight of numerous heavy-bound books, bookends and decorative statues; the shelves contain works in every language of the Core and more and on every subject from the mundane to the mystical.

The largest of the shelves runs unbroken for the entire Eastern wall and touches the ceiling. Set against the shelves is a wrought-iron ladder on a sliding railing that can be moves across the wall permitting access to the highest shelves for the shortest of people (an addition insisted upon by a certain gnome). This shelf is relegated to scientific and non-fiction works, primarily secular, with a historical and anthropological slant. Numerous relics and knickknacks acquired or referenced in these books line the shelves as bookends or decoration and break the monotony of constant leather-bound spines.

The dominant features, apart from the shelves themselves, are the large table in the middle of the room surrounded by sturdy wooden chairs and the massive skylight that occupies much of the ceiling filtering in light. The skylight seems to brighten the entire room given enough illumination to read even on the cloudiest days and avoiding the fire-hazard of brining torches and lanterns inside.

Tucked away in the Northwest corner, just to the left of the door, is the restricted section, a small walled-off area sealed by a velvet rope. This contains the private knowledge restricted to the most worthy of brothers, those who can be trusted with the dark secrets contained within.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Buchvold remains on guard outside. His back to the wall next to where the door used to be. He holds his pistol tightly as he constantly scans the surroundings for Rijn's men,

"There's something we've missed." He thaught. "Wolfwhars... they come from Kartakass, do they not. Van rijen mentioned Kartakass in his speech, could there be some conection? What else had Rijen mentioned?"

"And what about that fraternatey ring van Rijn bought from me. He must have planed this by that time, why did he purchase the symbol of a group he dispised, minor magic, or not."

Too many questions... Too few answers, thought Raephael Buchvold as he stood on guard, Watching the environs closely.
Anthony Reuland
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Anthony Reuland »

"Quite the night, eh?" Anthony rhetorically asks Buchwold as he approaches the broken door of the library. The tall, guant man frowns deeply as he walks up to the entrance way and examines the door. Tracing his fingers along the damaged frame and ruined hinges, he merely shakes his head. "Would have expected better for as much work went into creating it."

Looking toward the lone guard, he adjusts his tinted glasses.
"Pandemonium did not reign, it poured..."
Grey Arcanist
Cold Iron Supplier
Cold Iron Supplier

Post by Grey Arcanist »

When Conrad reaches the library, he calls out, "All clear," in a voice loud enough to be heard back in the laboratory. Then he says to Buchvold, "Anything happen here while we were gone?"
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

"What are the others doing?" inquiers Buchvold. His hand still clutching the revolver.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Grey Arcanist wrote:When Conrad reaches the library, he calls out, "All clear," in a voice loud enough to be heard back in the laboratory. Then he says to Buchvold, "Anything happen here while we were gone?"
"No, not a thing" replies Buchvold. "To be quite frank, I would have expected something but nothing what so ever... I don't like it. Van Rijin is up to something."
Anthony Reuland
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Anthony Reuland »

"Gathering reinforcements and preparing potential weapons," Anthony replies in turn. "We should have more help arriving shortly, but there will only be a few of us for the time being. However, I would imagine that Van Rijn and his companions are taking time to regroup and 'lick their wounds' as well."

Eyeing the revolver with some skepticism, Anthony continues. "How much more ammunition do you have left? We don't keep such things in our armoury, and I would have to be weaponless halfway through a skirmish."
Last edited by Anthony Reuland on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pandemonium did not reign, it poured..."
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Anthony Reuland wrote:Eyeing the revolver with some skepticism, Anthony continues. "How much more ammunition do you have left? We don't keep such things in our armoury, and I would have to be weaponless halfway through a skirmish."
"It is fully loaded", replies Buchvold, "also I still have a few evoctaions left. I will have enough to last out the night."
Jester of the FoS

Moral Machivelli wrote:
Grey Arcanist wrote:When Conrad reaches the library, he calls out, "All clear," in a voice loud enough to be heard back in the laboratory. Then he says to Buchvold, "Anything happen here while we were gone?"
"No, not a thing" replies Buchvold. "To be quite frank, I would have expected something but nothing what so ever... I don't like it. Van Rijin is up to something."
The group pauses for a second in contemplative silence then one of them speaks.

"Wait, do you hear that?"
Grey Arcanist
Cold Iron Supplier
Cold Iron Supplier

Post by Grey Arcanist »

Moral Machivelli wrote:
"Heard what?" Conrad asks. He listens, but unless he hears something more he looks around the library, and says, "If only we knew what books Van Rijn was looking to steal...I suspect it may be a book or books about Transformational or Necromantic magic..." He looks around to see if he can find some sort of book index that may help them determine what books on those subjects are found in this library.

OOC What does he hear? And does this library have some sort of card index?
Last edited by Grey Arcanist on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester of the FoS

OOC - The library is organized into sections and divided from there by alphabetical listing by subject and author. There is a single large book on a pedestal that contains a hand-written index of all the titles.

And the hinted-at sound is getting louder now. A tapping/scraping sound mixed with a high-pitched squeaking.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Buchvold redies his pistol, then waves it in the general direction of the noises.
Grey Arcanist
Cold Iron Supplier
Cold Iron Supplier

Post by Grey Arcanist »

"That sounds a lot like rats," Conrad says. "Could Van Rijn have enlisted were rats?" He tries to determine exactly where the sound is coming from.
Jester of the FoS

The scuttling increases. The sound seems to be coming from all sides. Closer and closer. Then they come, running up the stairs and panniced into a frenzy from the fire, a swarm of rats. Another batch comes scurrying up from the stairwell to the South. Rats. Hundreds of them.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

OOC. I sugest we wait, until we regain the others, if this is going to be a fight