The Laboratory

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

The Laboratory

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Open, after being locked and sealed the entire evening, is the private Laboratory of the Fraternity. Several alchemical kits, built by master craftsmen, are set along one wall and several dark tomes line a small bookshelf.

A thick chemical smell coats the air making heavy breathing awkward and dizzy.

In the middle of the room is an examination table outfitted with straps and bands and a small side table with dissection tools. You note that some are silver tipped. On the far wall is a rattling cage covered with a cloth, some living thing is inside although you are hesitant to find out what.

This is your victorian-looking laboratory, with caged animals, glass tubes, beakers and strange things producing electricity or weirdly colored smoke.

On one wall is filled with various chemicals.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Hartly strode swiftly over to the disection tools, grabbing some of the silver tipped ones.

"Science is not my forte." He grumbled, turning to Kingsley. "You seem to know something about it. What do you suggest?"
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Viktor Hazan
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Viktor Hazan »

"I don't know about you, Gertrude, but I could be able to make smoke screen easily. And I have a few chemicals that explodes if set on fire..."
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude said to Hartly, “It’s not mine either, but common sense and mother wit shall help inform us. Hazan mentioned Molotov cocktails. Gather beakers, and any other glass containers you can think of.” She looked about for any oil lamps. “Gather oil, including from the lamps in the halls. We’ll pour it on strips of linen and rags, then press them into the containers. Leave one strip sticking out to light as a wick.

“If there’s any vials of acid, gather them as well. Save those for Van Rijn and any of the other living traitors. They’ll burn the victim continually and hopefully dispel any spells they try to cast. Ether can help render unconscious any wretch we seize. Combined with invisibility, it could at least give us a chance to ambush an individual.” She smiled gleefully at Viktor's mention of smokescreens. "Excellent! That would be fantastic cover for whatever we do!"

She paused in thought. “Sulphur? Saltpetre? Unfortunately, alchemy is not my forte either,” she added with a wry smile. "Surely there's a book in here at least that we can use for reference?"
Last edited by Pamela on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Hartly follows Kingsley's instructions, working to gather the ingredients when he notices the cage.

"What about that?" He asks Hazan. "Any chance of releasing it on the Traitors? And how shall we re-activate the Manor's defenses?"
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Hartly peaks under the cloth. A snarling rat-like face meets his and there is a snapping of jaws. Foaming jaws thrash about and inhuman red eyes glare out. Then the cloth falls back and it is covered again.

"Oh, that." Hazan states matter-of-factly. "That is a creature born of fear and nightmares. One of our newer scholars discovered their existance. This one is the creation of the fear of rats and disease. We were preparing it for defending the Manoir but are unsure if it is... tame enough yet."

To punctuate that the creature rattles the bars of its cage again.
Viktor Hazan
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Viktor Hazan »

Viktor looked at the Fraternity loyalist around him. Many have been hurt by the attack in the Entrance Hall and the fireball. Some looked very close to death, yet they stood and still wanted to fight.

Viktor made a mental note to promote some of them.

Should they ever make it through the night...
Llana wrote:She smiled gleefully at Viktor's mention of smokescreens. "Excellent! That would be fantastic cover for whatever we do!"
"Yes, these undead summoning creeps can't be destroyed with illusions. Van Rijn knew what he was doing when he attacked us with their help... poor Donovan ..."
She paused in thought. “Sulphur? Saltpetre? Unfortunately, alchemy is not my forte either,” she added with a wry smile. "Surely there's a book in here at least that we can use for reference?"
"All the books are upstairs, madame...", said Hazan grimly. "and if you are thinking about explosive powder, the process to make it is beyond our time frame - it isn't simply a mix and use thing..."

OOC - let's assume we make 6 cocktail molotovs, 3 smoke screens and grab two bottles of ether and two of strong acid.
OOC2 - it's Hartly, not Huntly :)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Viktor Hazan wrote: OOC2 - it's Hartly, not Huntly :)
(OOC: Lauren Hartly, Mr. Hazan. :wink: )
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude grabbed whatever cloths she could find, and went so far as to tear a couple of strips from her jacket. Needs must, and it’s not like I’ll be able to salvage this, she thought, glancing at the scorch marks and soot which coated her left side.

She placed the rags into the beakers, then carefully poured the oil in, holding it over a large bowl. She refused to waste any of it- not with the few resources they had.

She paused ever so briefly, a strange look crossing her face before she smiled and resumed her task. These men were actually listening to her. Accepting her suggestions. Not talking over her head. Not ignoring her.

She spared them a glance before returning to the task at hand. Thank you….

She shuddered at the revelation of the thing. "We probably should bring it along with us, just to make sure it doesn't end up in their hands. Perhaps, if worse comes to worst, we can always quickly open the cage and toss it at them. Or perhaps a brother has a means of charming it." We'd just have to hope it gets killed in our line of duty...
Last edited by Pamela on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Viktor Hazan
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Viktor Hazan »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:"What about that?" He asks Hazan. "Any chance of releasing it on the Traitors? And how shall we re-activate the Manor's defenses?"
Viktor looks shocked. "I really don't know how they were able to neutralize most of it, as normally they would have fell into many traps and illusions. They would have been lucky to get out with their sanity. How they removed most of it is to be found later I guess. And once it's activated, it can't be reactivated before an elder prompted ritual which we do not have time for..."
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

OOC: re: Hartly/Huntly

Ack! Sorry Tobias! :oops:

I've edited my posts above to show who Gert's really talking to... :P
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Llana wrote:OOC: re: Hartly/Huntly

Ack! Sorry Tobias! :oops:

I've edited my posts above to show who Gert's really talking to... :P
OOC:Not a problem. :wink:
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Viktor Hazan wrote:
Tobias Blackburn wrote:"What about that?" He asks Hazan. "Any chance of releasing it on the Traitors? And how shall we re-activate the Manor's defenses?"
Viktor looks shocked. "I really don't know how they were able to neutralize most of it, as normally they would have fell into many traps and illusions. They would have been lucky to get out with their sanity. How they removed most of it is to be found later I guess. And once it's activated, it can't be reactivated before an elder prompted ritual which we do not have time for..."
"Then shall we go find them?"
Grey Arcanist
Cold Iron Supplier
Cold Iron Supplier

Post by Grey Arcanist »

Conrad steps into the Laboratory and looks around to see what members of the Fraternity are present. "Good evening, colleagues," he says, "We just came from the library...which unfortunately, currently lacks a locked door. What is our situation here?"
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Crow hurriedly rushes the conversation past why there's no longer a locked door to the library, and announces: "Rijn's agents attempted to break into the room ... wolfweres. We're better-equipped to deal with their ilk now, but Buchvold is holding the fort with too few spells left for his liking. Reinforcements would be good, now; the truth would be better."

His gray eyes focus on Viktor Hazan. "It's high time you told us what your 'old friend' is looking for."
Last edited by Rotipher of the FoS on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.