PbP weekend - Q&A

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Joël of the FoS

PbP weekend - Q&A

Post by Joël of the FoS »

If you need to ask us questions about the play by post weekend, please post them here (no, the rumour that we asked Ryven to answer them isn't true).

Questions about what is going to happen will punished by severe maiming (Socko is ready).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I would absolutely enjoy to play with you all here, but I am not sure if I'll have internet access during all the weekend. (I am going to a youth hostel to launch my own Halloween game.) So, do you think I should join the game even if I can attend only Friday and Saturday?

:)
Joël of the FoS

Yes, of course. When you leave, just tell a mod: we'll find a good in game reason for your... departure.

It's sure that not everybody will be around for the whole weekend, so some character will be more important at times, and fade later.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
eocine
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: somewhere where he ponders whether or not people know what 'crapulence' means.

Post by eocine »

Is it open to people who've not really posted o'oer much?... I'd like to be involved but realise I've not exactly been a big community member... :oops:
Joël of the FoS

Please be my guest. This is opened to everybody in the Ravenloft online community.

Everybody should drink and feist with us!

Joël
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Can our characters have spells memorized from other source books outside Ravenloft . I was thinking of having my character memorize one or two from F.R. books
Le Noir Faineant

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Yes, of course. When you leave, just tell a mod: we'll find a good in game reason for your... departure.

It's sure that not everybody will be around for the whole weekend, so some character will be more important at times, and fade later.

Joël
:) Very nice! I'll create a whole new RL character specifically for this game! ... :twisted:
Joël of the FoS

Moral Machivelli wrote:Can our characters have spells memorized from other source books outside Ravenloft . I was thinking of having my character memorize one or two from F.R. books
He/she is an outlander? And make sure these spells do not infringe the Ravenloft setting spell restrictions.

Just let us know the source of material from outside the Ravenloft setting.

Joël
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

1- If you're not on for much that's okay. If you can't post on Sunday then simply give your character a glorious death and leave (or, you know, just have him leave the party...) and check back on Monday to see what you missed.

2- Come one, come all. All you need to be is a flesh-and-blood person (at least 50% flesh, we have a cyborg/golem limitation policy), your previous participation is irrelvant. Post more and be forever remembered even if you never show your face again.

3- Considering it's play-by-post 90% of game statistics will be irrelevant, so much will be shrugged off as artistic licence. Cast spells from any setting, make up your own, just be good sports and don't have your L5 character blasting out incantations as powerful as Wish on a regular basis.
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Interesting, for the first time i will be able to play instead of being the DM in a Ravenloft game.

I have never a play by post game before, if someone want to explain to me the basics and the convention of this form of play, il be grateful. (can send me a pm if you don t want to make this thread huge.)
Joël of the FoS

Scipion_Emilien wrote:Interesting, for the first time i will be able to play instead of being the DM in a Ravenloft game.

I have never a play by post game before, if someone want to explain to me the basics and the convention of this form of play, il be grateful. (can send me a pm if you don t want to make this thread huge.)
Well, it's quite similar to the games going in in the bottom role pleying boards (Galen, the halfling does ..., etc.). You post in character, i.e. you say what your character would say, you write what your character would think, you describe his actions, etc.

If you have out of the game question / comment / information / suggestion for other posters to see, you put "OOC: " before writing it (for "out of character:").

That's basically it :)

The big rule of such a play by post is not to hurt critically, kill or injure another player without his agreement :)

Also, for the fun of it, things go slowly, close to real time, so take your time in making the action evolve.

Joël
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote: The big rule of such a play by post is not to hurt critically, kill or injure another player without his agreement :)
What about characters? Can we slaughter them without care? :wink:

Just kidding.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Joël of the FoS

*lol*
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:
Joël of the Fraternity wrote: The big rule of such a play by post is not to hurt critically, kill or injure another player without his agreement :)
What about characters? Can we slaughter them without care? :wink:

Just kidding.
If they agree then yes. And there is nothing stopping you from offing a few servants who annoy you.

But, really, it's not that kind of party.
Le Noir Faineant

:cry: I am departing very early Saturday morning, to return very late on Sunday night. Seems there's no time/internet access to participate for me.

I'll instead hold up the flag of Ravenloft on my youth group's Halloween gaming day... :twisted:

This person here might very well star in it: :lucas: