FoS monster compendium?

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

FoS monster compendium?

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello,

Just an idea: What about compiling all the monster articles from all the QtRs/USSes so far into one single volume?

I am getting a bit tired of Denizens od Dread by now, and think of doing such a compilation in any case. Yet, with an standarized layout, it would look better than just my rip-offs from the pdfs.

What do you think about it?

Yours,

Rafael
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Great idea.

However, many are in 2nd edition, or 3.0. They should be converted to 3.5 - anybody out there for this task?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant

I am unsure if I could take more work, but if the NPC netbook is successfully completed, why not? :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I could try to update some of the monsters, but not all.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

AFAIK, at least all the QtR stuff is 3e - that could be something to begin with, I think. I mean, after all, why not put a limit of, say, 200 pages first and then look if one can fill them with already published and actual material?
Le Noir Faineant

Maybe such an index as al mentioned in an earlier thread would come in handy as well, for then someone had already scored through the books and collected the articles. :D
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

suggestion: make sure that there is a list somewhere that can be easily updated - so that we onlly have to convert the monster ONCE, rather than have 5 of us do the work many times for the same monster, without knowing about it first...

(I don't know what my rules knowledge will be worth, but I may give a few beasties a try as well...)
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Great idea.

However, many are in 2nd edition, or 3.0. They should be converted to 3.5 - anybody out there for this task?

Joël

Now why would you want to ruin a perfectly good monster from 2e by converting it? Viva La 2e!!!!!

Maraudar the unreconstructed 1e/2e rebel :P
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Desdichado wrote: I mean, after all, why not put a limit of, say, 200 pages first and then look if one can fill them with already published and actual material?
Probably the original monsters of all the QtR and the USS won't take more than 50 pages Des...
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Boccaccio Barbarossa wrote:suggestion: make sure that there is a list somewhere that can be easily updated - so that we onlly have to convert the monster ONCE, rather than have 5 of us do the work many times for the same monster, without knowing about it first...
That would be the way to do it, indeed. You can post the list here.

Converters will have to stay with the author spirit, i.e. do not add a new power to the monster because you think it's better this way. This said, I don't mind a short "converter note" at the end of the entry, where you could add your thoughts and suggestions.
maraudar wrote:Now why would you want to ruin a perfectly good monster from 2e by converting it? Viva La 2e!!!!!

Maraudar the unreconstructed 1e/2e rebel :P
*lol* I promise the older version will still be available in the netbooks :)
alhoon wrote:Probably the original monsters of all the QtR and the USS won't take more than 50 pages Des...
That's my guess too :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant

I personally would also step away from to much forced conversion - the first thing would be to make up an index of all the files - and I see no problem why one couldn't compile an 2e booklet as well. 2e is Ravenloft in it's purest and best way ever done so far, IMO, and I am sure there are still enough players out there who play RL without the S&S edition. :)

(Actually, I used to be one of those... But is Vecna Reborn really Ravenloft? :wink:)
Le Noir Faineant

I think I'll just look through your fan material list during the holidays, Joel.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

I think conversion is the way to go. Too many will look at a 2ed monster manual and think "oh, that's just half-done, now I have to do the hard work". Really, I think we should update them all to 3.5ed, just for sake of completeness, but also include a reference to let people who want to use the old monsters, to let them know where they came from (so, for each monster, we'd include a "Taken from [insert netbook here], page ...").

I'm really interested in helping out on this project. As the convertors are probably going to be distributed, I'd be more than willing to write up a website so we can control who's converting what monsters (I'm quite experienced with such things), even if I can't help convert.
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Okay, from my list that I've made (more will be revealed later...), there are 160 original, individual creatures (as opposed to studies of already created creatures) in the netbooks (QtR1-12, all the BoS_ and "Nouvelle Nuit" from Midway Haven).

All the QtR and "Nouvelle Nuit" are 3rd edition or 3.5 edition, as far as I'm aware, so they'd need the least amount of conversion. Most of the BoS_ are 2nd edition, so they'd need the most work.

One thing I'd like to know, are we going to include the full description (as opposed to the stat block and a little description) for the creatures in the netbook? We might be verging on the 200 page count, if we include descriptions... Also, I'd imagine we're going to have to obtain the author's permission to include their creature in the netbook, right?

[Edit] Make that 160 creatures, including QtR12 and the USS.
Last edited by Kel-nage on Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The USS have more creaturers. I believe we should include the description as to avoid making the book blant. But I believe that we should just include the description and not the whole history-current sketch thing for monsters that are an article by themselves (like Anna the Flesh Golem or the Headless horse).
My DMGuild work!