New Race, Idea taken from QtR.

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

New Race, Idea taken from QtR.

Post by alhoon »

If this thread belongs to the general noticeboard, I kindly request it to be moved there. However since it is discussion about QtR probably belongs here.

On topic:
I don't like quo-toa. I think they are ugly and I don't like their abilities.
On the other hand, I loved the quo-toa presented in the QtR about the seas. They inspired me to create the race of amphibia, although they do not copy the quo-toa's immortality and infertility.
Thanks again to the one who got the idea and I apologize for not remembering his name.
So to solve this problem I inserted a new race here.

Amphibio (plural:amphibia)
This race of aquatic fighter-sorcerers resembles in appearance the Doppelganger's natural form as presented in MManual (big head, no hair etc) but has bluish-green skin, colorless white eyes and hymens between its fingers and toes. It also has sharp claws it can use to attack.
It is sexless and about 5'-5 1/2' feet tall.

Amphibia can survive out of the water for 2 hours per con point before suffocating. They can safely survive the pressure of up to 400' deep water. They are a race of evil fighter-sorcerers. They are not extremely evil or cruel and about 1/10th of the population is neutral. However less than 1/500 is good in alignment.

They usually go through variant stages of life:
They come to life as small non-sentient fish (resembling polliwogs) about 3" in diameter. They survive by eating plankton.
After 2 years of life, in which the polliwog grows to the size of the amphibio's head, they start transforming. Within 7 months, the "head" has grown a small body and gained semi-sentience (mental stats about 5-6). It now survives by hunting and eating small fish.
In a 8 - 10 more months, the body has come to the complete proportions of a mature amphibio and it has become sentient (mental stats 8-10). However, it hasn't reached his intellect's potentional yet and now starts developing its arcane powers. It is a juveline amphibio. To survive it has to rely on its martial skills.
To become a real, fully powerful "adult", with a complete array of magical abilities, the juveline needs about 10 - 18 months. After proving it has reached the natural step of the arcane abilities an amphibio must possess, it is considered an adult.

So, from birth to adulthood: 4 - 5 years.

After about 100 - 110 years of life, the amphibio may transform to a more powerful form, an elder. For this to be done, 2 elders must agree to perform a special arcane ritual on the amphibio. They do so only for the most loyal and useful amphibia (not necessarily the most powerful).
Elders are able to reproduce. Once every 2 - 3 years, they spur out one or two amphibia polliwogs. No mating occurs. Elder aging is far slower than the rest of the amphibia.

Amphibio: Adolesence Middle age: 100 years, Old age 115 years, venerable age 130 years. Death: after 2d6 more years.
As you can see, the amphibia spend most of their time as young, healthy adults, but once age comes up to them, they succumb within 30-40 years.

Elder: Old age: 300 years, venerable age: 400 years. Death: after 3d20 +10 more years.
Elders can be extremely long lived but their old age is also unusually short.

Amphibioi came to Ravenloft 60 years ago as outlanders. A small group of 50 passed through the mists while going for a surface raid, in an outlander world and ended up in a Lamordian coast. The quickly left this magic-forsaken land. Through these years, the amphibioi have multiplied rapidly, although their corrupted magic has costed them some power checks. Luckily for them, none has become a Darklord yet.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

An adult amphibio has the following traits:

Medium, monstrous humanoid (Aquatic). 2 Racial HD (d8)
Abilities: str +2, cha +2
Swim speed 40', land speed 20'
Darkvision 60', low-light vision
As creature with a swim speed, it can take 10 to swimming checks in any circumstances, and gets a +10 to swim checks.
Class skills: Listen, Spellcraft, spot, survival, knowledge(arcana), swim
Bonus feat: Spell focus (necromancy)
Resistances: The amphibio get a +2 to saves against necromancy and enchantment spells and spell like abilities.
Skill afinities: The amphibio gets +2 racial bonus to spellcraft checks and underwater survival checks.
Natural attack: claw 1d4 +str damage
Natural armor bonus: +2

Spellcasting: An amphibio can cast spells as a sorcerer with caster level equal to its HD/2 +1. Gaining levels, increases the amphibio's HD and accordingly its caster level. For example a 2nd level rogue amphibio casts spells as a 3rd level sorcerer. These levels stack with sorcerer levels. An amphibio cannot have more caster levels than HD. That means that a 6th level sorcerer/2nd level fighter amphibio (10 total HD) casts spells as 10th level sorcerer, not 11th! This limitation forces amphibia to multiclass early on, usually to fighter/sorcerers or ranger/sorcerers.
It can select known spells only from the necromancy, illusion and enchantment schools (except if it takes the sorcerer class of course).

Favorite class: Fighter or sorcerer. Once the amphibio takes up one of this 2 classes, it becomes its favorite class.

Amphibia take up character classes early on and advance as soon as safely possible. They leave menial every-day chores to a servant race they have created, slaves they gather and enchant and undead they animate. In essence they are the nobles of their aquatic towns.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Augustus
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Augustus »

Perhaps a more Lovecraftian approach is needed. Maybe they could reproduce ala-Shadow Over Innsmouth by gradually transforming humans along the coast. Don't think monsterous beings make good hero's in Ravenloft IMO though.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I was talking about foes, not heroes :wink: . Also I agree with you but that would be a curse placed upon them after they increased to a significant number.
My DMGuild work!
Augustus
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Augustus »

Ah sometimes my brains in the gutter, my players constantly petition for monstrous races and I hten have to beat them w/ the DM stick.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Hmm. I thought about the transforming of humans along the coast. That would make them conscript creatures to their number far more easily than I want.
Elders see most amphibia as dispensable (since they aren't needed for the race's future) as amphibia see most of their thralls, undead and slaves as dispensable.
My DMGuild work!
Augustus
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Augustus »

Now that I think about it your new race would have a lot of enemies in the sea such as the reavers, krakens, aboleths etc. They might use conscription to boost their numbers, which I doubt would stay high for long. Things would balance out.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Augustus wrote:Now that I think about it your new race would have a lot of enemies in the sea such as the reavers, krakens, aboleths etc.
Krakens? I have saw them in the Mordent Gaz, but I have decided to not include them in the Core. Krakens are like dragons IMO. Such a lake as the Sea of Sorrows or the Nocturnal sea couldn't support more than one Kraken.

On topic: I agree. But since only the elders are needed to breed killing amphibia wouldn't impact the society much.

However: What's the point on having a nice, evil, dark magic using race if it rarely (if ever) interacts with humans?
alhoon wrote: They leave menial every-day chores to a servant race they have created, slaves they gather and enchant and undead they animate. In essence they are the nobles of their aquatic towns.
:wink: Transforming them to amphibia isn't the only option.
My DMGuild work!