No votes

Total votes: 17

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Feedback for Quoth the Raven #11

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Greetings ladies and gents,

Despite our best intentions, this latest issue of Quoth the Raven came out later than what we had intended. Then again, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And it should come as no surprise that we are all going to hell... Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!! :twisted:

Ah, yes! Anyway, we would like to see a lot of feedback to the authors who spent so much time and energy creating these wonderful works. Since this is a poll, everyone can only vote for one article. However, you can always write in additional responses in a post.

Enjoy reading and we hope to see a lot of feedback for all of our contributors!

Jason
Last edited by Jason of the Fraternity on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

I decided not to vote for my own article this time around. When I first saw the title "Dread Leprechauns," I first thought of those Ezrawful "Leprechaun" movies. But when I read further, I was delightfully entertained...
As opposed to have watching those movies...
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

No kidding? Funny, 'cause it was those awful movies that inspired it - or at least the illusion part of it. Of course, I never actually saw any of those movies, but I got the gist of them.

Then again, my favourite part of that article was actually inspired by the urban legend where the trippy teen bakes a baby thinking it was a turkey.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I noticed a few things in my articles that got missed. Here those I have spotted so far and these are official erratas for my articles so feel free to edit your copies.

Tales from the Fireside
1. The subtitle should be fearsome fiends, not Frightening Fey (long story short, it was originally to be a fey article but that got changed and I forgot to change the subtitle)

2. For the final sidebar, the first dread possibility should be The Burning Bride (oops).

Those would have been fixed before, but there was a little mix up in sending me the editted article for confirmation. There are also some spelling and grammar errors, but those are easy to fix.

Return to Arlington Farm
1. Henry's Full Attacks should be " 2slams +8/+3 melee (1d6) or 2 sickle +9/+4 (1d6; crit. x2)".

That one is all my fault, lol.

Sorry.

So far I have looked through about half of the articles but only read a few of them properly, the Children of the Night article is something I really like, great work on that one Jason :)
Swallow your soul!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I noticed a few things in my articles that got missed.
Sorry about that, Wiccy. I made sure to include Tales from the Fireside and On the Road, but the poll only allows for so many options. I tried to include as many as possible, and the articles that were excluded were those least matching the theme.

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:So far I have looked through about half of the articles but only read a few of them properly, the Children of the Night article is something I really like, great work on that one Jason :)
Thanks, Wiccy! I got the idea for Grimalkin the Breathstealer from my own kitten. I woke up one night, and she was sleeping on my neck and chin... :roll:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:Sorry about that, Wiccy. I made sure to include Tales from the Fireside and On the Road, but the poll only allows for so many options. I tried to include as many as possible, and the articles that were excluded were those least matching the theme.
I was on about the editing, but Tales... never reached me in its editted form, so the original had to fgo in with all the terrible typing errors, lol. The Arlington Farm article contained a mistake I should have noticed right away, so I am to blame there, lol.

It is a shame we can't get more options in the polls though, would be nice to see every article available for the vote.
Swallow your soul!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I was on about the editing, but Tales... never reached me in its editted form, so the original had to fgo in with all the terrible typing errors.
Whoops! My mistake, Wiccy. I didn't associate your comment with the editting so much as the polling.

I'm not sure who, if anyone, had a chance to edit your Tales from the Fireside article, though. We were trying to cover all of the editing before the release of the issue, but lack of people and time limited just how much we could get done. I believe Stephen mentioned that one or two articles only received the barest of reviews, but he didn't specify which ones.

Despite the chaotic schedules and random editting, I think that this issue turned out very well. I've read through almost half of it, and the results have been very good. I'll leave detailed reviews after I finished the entire netzine.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I am pretty sure it was editted just not who did it. There was a little confusion over who was to send me the editted article for my okay so it never reached me. Still, the article went in there, plus it is now interactive with the amazing (and free!) Edit The Article game, exclusive to QtR 11, lol.

I also must agree that issue is good so far, I am very impressed by it :)
Swallow your soul!
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:Thanks, Wiccy! I got the idea for Grimalkin the Breathstealer from my own kitten. I woke up one night, and she was sleeping on my neck and chin... :roll:
But the weird thing about that is, there are folktales of vampiric cats and such. I think Japanese vampires often took the shape of cats, and I was specifically reminded of one reputed to haunt a hotel in Montauk, NY...

I figured that was where you got the idea.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Odd, I edited Tales and fixed several spelling and grammer mistakes then sent it off. The other stuff I didn't notice... There must have been an e-mail snafu. Maybe I sent it to the wrong addy (I think I sent it to the one atop the actual article, easy link no fumbling with address books).
I wondered why you never got back to me...

Okay, checking my e-mail, which has it in the "Sent" mail. So blame evil gremlins.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

David of the Frat wrote: Okay, checking my e-mail, which has it in the "Sent" mail. So blame evil gremlins.
Gremlins, Grimalkin, or dread leprechauns?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

One of each, it's a troika of terror!
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Without a doubt, A Most Frightful Excerpt was my favorite part of this issue of QtR. I loved the style, and I loved the imagery. You've got some greatt stuff here, Gemathustra 8). I hope we will see more.

Some of the images had obvious Cthulhu mythos influences... like the Kaiser Egel, while others were more subtle. I liked that particularly. Then there's Crabe Siegnor... who just reminds me so much of something that I have seen before, but cannot remember what exactly.

Can I ask you what inspired some of these pieces?

And also, a question for the Fraternity, if I wished to submit some artwork of my own that was RL-inspired, could it see possible inclusion in a future QtR issue? I know you already take submissions for the main site, which may be the more appropriate alternative...
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

David of the Frat wrote:One of each, it's a troika of terror!
At least it's not a Trotsky of Terror...
The Nightmare Man wrote:Without a doubt, A Most Frightful Excerpt was my favorite part of this issue of QtR. I loved the style, and I loved the imagery. You've got some greatt stuff here, Gemathustra 8). I hope we will see more.

Some of the images had obvious Cthulhu mythos influences... like the Kaiser Egel, while others were more subtle. I liked that particularly. Then there's Crabe Siegnor... who just reminds me so much of something that I have seen before, but cannot remember what exactly.

Can I ask you what inspired some of these pieces?
Kaiser Egel/Jonny Long Fingers actually started as a random doodle of coral polyps, but mutated into something else entirely.
Crabe Siegnor, or "Master Crab," was inspired by an egg-shaped monster a friend of mine drew for a Candyland-inspired comic he's plotting about.
I'll confess, Humpty Doodle, the "weird and strange monster that lairs beneath the bed," was inspired by a monster I saw in the YuGiOh card game.
Mistress Barjan, Madame Gansley, Lao Goei, and the Arotrin were inspired by various monsters from Final Fantasies 4 and 6 (Being Critic, Conjurer, Ghost, and Atma Weapon respectively)
And the Nyhilus was inspired by a trilobite, "Terataspis" which meant "Monstrous Shield."
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

David of the Frat wrote:Odd, I edited Tales and fixed several spelling and grammer mistakes then sent it off. The other stuff I didn't notice... There must have been an e-mail snafu. Maybe I sent it to the wrong addy (I think I sent it to the one atop the actual article, easy link no fumbling with address books).
I wondered why you never got back to me...

Okay, checking my e-mail, which has it in the "Sent" mail. So blame evil gremlins.
The mystery is solved, yeah, I was wondering why I was getting a mail asking me if I had received the revisions, lol. I blame all the fey, I am gonna have words eith Wyan about this, he will be most displeased and shall double his efforts against the fey, hopefully forgetting that I am a witch.

I might yet escape Tepest ;)
Swallow your soul!