Anniversary: LCotN - preliminary call for submission

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks
Joël of the FoS

Anniversary: LCotN - preliminary call for submission

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The Fraternity of Shadows’ LCotN project

The Fraternity of Shadows has the pleasure to announce a new Children of the Night project!

As you all know, there are more Van Richten’s Guide than Children of the Night accessories. Some VRG are orphan and our soft hearts can’t stand this situation. We plan to correct that, with the launching of ….

… the Lost Children of the Night netbook project, covering entities inspired by:

• VRG to the Ancient Dead
• VRG to the Liches
• VRG to the Hags and Witches
• VRG to the Vistani
• VRG to Walking Dead
• VRG to the Shadow Fey

• But also fans will be able to make expansion of the five previously released CotN. Got a cool NPC vampire (or werebeast, fiend, ghosts or created) that you wish to get in the LCotN?

Following the CotN tradition, each final article will present a fully described creature or NPC (a 4-6 pages description), and a short adventure (2-3 pages).

---

Inspired ?

Send us a one page submission at Joel@FraternityOfShadows.com (one page, font sized 12, line spacing 1.5). On this one page submission, describe the type of creature / NPC you wish to work on, with a few words on the short adventure.

Be as descriptive as you can in order to give us the flavor and the scope of your planned CotN work, and cover the following CotN topics:

• Appearance
• Basic stat
• Background
• Current sketch
• Personality
• Combat
• Adventure summary

---

Preliminary LCotN schedule:

Deadline for the preliminary one page submissions: January 31th, 2005

The best ideas will be asked to expand into a full blown article during the month of February 2005. The deadline to submit this work will be June 31th, 2005.

Giving us large delays for revisions, suggestions & co, the Lost CotN netbook should be out (hopefully) at the end of 2005. The netbook will use 3.5 edition.

---

The LCotN netbook should have as many chapters, as there are VRG. If a subject is very successful however, it could eventually justify a separate netbook.

This FoS project is in addition to the planned Quoth the Raven (QtR) quarterly netbook releases.

Thanks for your attention!

David, Dion, Eddy, Jason, Joel, and Stephen
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Me = Interested.
Therefore I'll contribute some stuff.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Well, here's the thing--

I'd love to contribute something, not only for the fun of the creative process but also for the selfish satisfaction I'd get from seeing my name in print. :wink:

Unfortunately, I still only play in 2e, and I'm not familiar enough with 3e or 3.5 to create any NPCs or adventures using that system. Is there anyone here familiar enough with both sets of rules that would be willing to help me convert a submission from 2e to 3.5?

I realize it's premature, since I haven't even sent in the one-page proposal yet (never mind having it accepted and being asked to contribute), but I thought I'd inquire nonetheless.

If anyone out there is willing to/can rise to this occasion, please post something here, send me a PM, or email me at adam_garou7@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Dude! I am so there!

Adam, if you need help, I'm more than happy to put the 3.5 stats together.

Guide to liches, eh? Can anyone say, Mind Lord? :lol:
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:Dude! I am so there!

Adam, if you need help, I'm more than happy to put the 3.5 stats together.

Guide to liches, eh? Can anyone say, Mind Lord? :lol:
Cool--thanks, Tobias! If the Fraternity decides to have me develop the idea--whatever it ends up being--I'd definitely appreciate the help. :D

Yep, I'd love to see the Mind Lord "fleshed out", so to speak. Um... you know, if he does HAVE flesh. :wink:

The first thought I had was a work-up/adventure involving Abel Carrick, myself. As an infected werebeast who gained control of his curse through the blessings of Ezra, he could be someone PCs could have a lot of fun with... not to mention the atypical abilities he can have due to these atypical circumstances. Nathan/Dmitri might have a few thoughts on that as well.

To our esteemed Fraternity members--are there any problems with submitting multiple proposals for different sections (a vampire and a werebeast, for example)? One would assume not--and that it might even be encouraged--but it's always better to ask.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I don't see any problems with putting forward multiple proposals, just don't overdo it so you can get whatever proposals you put forward completed by the deadline :)
Swallow your soul!
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I don't see any problems with putting forward multiple proposals, just don't overdo it so you can get whatever proposals you put forward completed by the deadline :)
Well, my thought was that multiple proposals would increase the chances of me finding an idea you guys want to see developed further. But I see what you mean.
― Harry Dresden
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Yep, if your proposals are that good we may end up selecting a few of them, so the chances of getting one of your proposals accepted by submitting with multiple ideas may be a double edged sword, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Am I correct in understanding that this book will cover *all* the lost CotN? Liches, Hags, Ancient Dead, etc.?

Also, what is the stance on official characters? Characters that something (a background and basic stats, for instance) has already been written about in a published product? What if that product was in 2E? (Think something along the lines of the way Lyssa von Zarovich was handled in CotN: Vampires.)
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Mortavius wrote:Also, what is the stance on official characters? Characters that something (a background and basic stats, for instance) has already been written about in a published product?
Submissions should be for someone or something new and original. While we would all love to see some of the things updated from second edition, there are too many legal issues involved.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I suppose I could transfer one of my NPCs in the campaign I am writing. But then I would have to write it from paper to computer... at least it would be a smaller task than Malwid's Guide.

I shall send my idea within the week.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Mortavius wrote:Am I correct in understanding that this book will cover *all* the lost CotN? Liches, Hags, Ancient Dead, etc.?
Yes, all the VRG's not covered in prior CotN's will be covered in this netbook. In addition, submissions for VRG's covered in previous CotN releases will also be honoured.
Swallow your soul!
Blackbird Jack
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blackbird Jack »

Just for a little clarification-

Are you guys accepting "Children" from any and all of the guides? Will this unofficial netbook be kind of a Catch-All Children of the Night, or will entries be devided into their specific Monster-Type

PS-Thanks for doing this. It's something the fans so badly want, myslef included.
Everything Old is New again....
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

We are accepting any and all CotN-style submissions. If all you can think of is a really cool vampire then by all means send us the really cool vampire.
We just strongly encourage people to think of and submitt monsters not yet covered.
We will publish all submissions we recieve this year into a single net-book.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Each monster/creature/character typoe is planned to have its own chapters decoted to that same type in the books. So all vampire will be inthe vmpie chapter, all liches in the liche chapter, werebeasts in werebeasts, hags/witches in their chapter and so forth. We are aiming more toward the VRG's not covered in previous CotN's but will examine all proposals no matter their VRG origin.
Swallow your soul!