View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
QtR 2018 theme 
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post QtR 2018 theme
Hello, long-term Ravenloft player but new to the FoS.

Is there a theme for the 2018 QtR yet?

Having enjoyed QtR in the past, I feel it's time I submitted something!

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:35 pm
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post Re: QtR 2018 theme
Last year, theme suggestions were requested in June, and one was chosen in early July. I imagine the same pattern will be followed this coming year.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:33 pm
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

true, but it's never too early to think about it. Any suggestions?

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Conspirator
Conspirator

Thanks for the advice, Wolfglide.

Not sure on a theme myself. Maybe some real gothic trope like "Hubris", "Isolation" or "Mad Science"? We're now over 20 years since the publication of "Domains of Dread", so is there room for a "Ravenloft: 20 years of terror" issue where we cover things that have happened since, both in the real world and in-game?

I myself was planning an essay on using Indie RPGs (like "My Life With Master" or "Dread") for Ravenloft. Has that been done already?

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

No problem, though I am afraid I can't answer your last question.

As for a theme idea, I had the snippet of phrase, Which Can Eternal Lie, rattling around in my head recently. For those who don't like mixing Lovecraftian horror into Ravenloft, it could also refer to particularly ancient undead.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 am
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Theme idea: Who do you trust? We all have people we rely upon. Friends, family, lovers, business associates...everyone has someone they entrust. People we can drop our guard around, tell our secrets, be vulnerable with. Villains too. Every Dracula needs his Renfield, every Frankenstein his Igor. The heroes as well- the Harkers would be doomed without Van Helsing, after all. Let's hear about the support networks, the brave middle men, the viceroys and fixers that make sure the hidden layers stay hidden and the general affairs of horrors and heroes stay in order.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:51 am
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I rather like that one. It fits with what I am already working on.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm
Conspirator
Conspirator

nothri wrote:
Theme idea: Who do you trust? We all have people we rely upon. Friends, family, lovers, business associates...everyone has someone they entrust. People we can drop our guard around, tell our secrets, be vulnerable with. Villains too. Every Dracula needs his Renfield, every Frankenstein his Igor. The heroes as well- the Harkers would be doomed without Van Helsing, after all. Let's hear about the support networks, the brave middle men, the viceroys and fixers that make sure the hidden layers stay hidden and the general affairs of horrors and heroes stay in order.

I really like that idea.

It also implies the breaking of trust, which is very gothic.

Some indie games (e.g. "Cold City" and "Hot War") have trust mechanics, whereby characters allow other characters they trust a bonus to both co-operate and screw them over! Might be able to adapt something similar to D&D...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:35 am
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

What is the QtR schedule like these days? I presume previously it was more than once a year.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 am
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tomokaicho wrote:
What is the QtR schedule like these days? I presume previously it was more than once a year.

It's been once a year for a long time. Early one there were as many as 4 a year, but it's been annual since 2006.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

I might submit something. QtR has been quite a bit thinner in recent years, to say the least.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]