The House Rules

The Halfling campaign
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

The House Rules

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Below this message, you will find a list of the house rules for the “Halfling walks” series. These are rules that have developed during the course of the story. While most of the rules should be pretty obvious, I felt that it was better to have something in writing and posted for all to see.

Rule #1: To be an active member of the “Halfling walks” series, you are required to post at least three times a week to your story thread. You are always welcome to post more than three times, but we use this rule to keep someone from popping in for a couple days and then disappearing for the next few months. If you know that you are going to be away (i.e. vacation or busy with a project), then we will grant you some leeway during your absence. A simple IM to me is usually all that it takes. Failure to notify me of your long-term absence will result in the “retirement” of your character.

Rule #2: With players being from different parts of the world, it is sometimes difficult for everyone to be around at the same time. To cover for those who are away during sessions, we will be posting actions and comments for different players. You are not, however, allowed to force any player to do something that they do not want to do. Likewise, you should try to stay as true to their character as possible.

Rule #3: In addition to Rule #2, no player is allowed to die without the player’s permission. You cannot attack another player and wound them fatally unless the other person has already approved this. The only notably exception to this case is “retirement” due to lack of player activity.

Rule #4: You should keep your character within a certain set of realistic boundaries during gameplay. While an ubercharacter, who can do anything or knows everything, might be fun for the player, it tends to spoil the fun for the rest of the group. I strongly encourage that you develop your characters and make them special and unique, but this growth should not overshadow the other characters

Rule #5: All out-of-character comments should be made on the thread designated for them. Likewise, I prefer that players do not use a lot of quoting within the actual story threads. Both OOC remarks and quotes take up space and break up the flow of the story. Use them if you need to, but they should only be used when absolutely necessary.

Rule #6: There isn’t an official word count or size for posts, but you should use some common sense when you are responding. Writing five page dissertations on what your character sees and feels would probably be overkill in most situations. In fact, it would be annoying to most other people if they had to read through a lengthy post when a couple paragraphs would suffice. On the other hand, one-line responses also tend to be inappropriate. We are telling a story, and one line doesn’t say or accomplish very much. My suggestion is to try to have at least three or four sentences for any posts that you make (since that would help promote covering more than “My character looks around cautiously.”).

Rule #7: DM’s ruling is final. I like to give everyone a fair amount of room to improvise and implement their own ideas into the story, but there can only be so many people running the story at one time. Feel free to add in comments and actions as you see fit. However, I reserve the right to ask you to alter something in order to preserve the integrity of the storyline.

Rule #?: These rules are merely a guideline and not all inclusive of how things should be run. I tend to be rather lenient on these rules for the most part, but you should try to follow them out of respect for your follow players. If we feel that there is a need to create new rules or amend the old ones, then I will make the appropriate changes as time goes on.

If you should have any questions about the rules, then feel free to contact me via e-mail or private message.

Jason
Last edited by Jason of the Fraternity on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

And, of course, the message board rules always apply... :wink:

Jason

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:These are the forum rules:

1) No obscenity: Remember, we're tying to keep this forum a friendly place for everyone, so don't get out of control. Feel free to express yourself as colourfully as you please, but keep it within reason.

2) No Flaming: This is a friendly place for polite discussions, so there is to be no flaming. Flaming encompasses insults, put-downs, unfair criticism, harrassment, and passing around naughty drawings. Posters are to treat everyone else with equal respect. Incidents of flaming will be punished by, wait for it... fire!

3) No illegal transactions: We hate to be a spoil sport, but in the intrest of maintaining law and order we cannot abide by illegal transactions on the site. Specifically, no file shareing. We can't, and won't, interfere with what you do outside the site, but don't let us catch you passing bootlegged information here.

4) No shoes, No shirt, No posting: This is not a joke! For all I know, you could be posting naked. Everyone must be appropriatly dressed to post on these boards; suit and ties for the gentlemen, full length gowns for the ladies.
And don't try to cheat, by just wearing a shirt so that it looks from the waist up that your wearing clothes. We have eyes everywhere.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Quick Reminder: I've noticed that a large portion of our group hasn't been posting very much the past couple of weeks. While a couple people have notified me of school obligations, the rest haven't mentioned anything to me. I don't want to be cutting people out, but you need to notify me if you aren't going to be active for more than a week.

Jason
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Announcement: Starting next Monday, I am going to be enforcing Rule #1 more strictly than I have been in the past. I realize that some of you are really busy with school and/or work, but we need to try to have a bit of consistency with our posting. Therefore, anyone that does not post at least twice within each seven days will have his or her character removed (either temporarily or permanently) from the storyline.

As always, I am willing to make arrangements for those of you who notify me in advance. You do need to notify me in advance, however, as I do not want to find out after a month long break that you were going to be gone. If you are having computer problems or cannot gain access for a while, then please try to get the message to me through other people (for example, VAN relating alhoon?s current technical difficulties to us).

If you have any questions or concerns, you can either contact me through private message or e-mail me at xaos313@hotmail.com

Jason 8)