Treachery, lies and secrets

The Halfling campaign
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Ixevim was about to reply when his senses picked up something strange. There seemed to be an air of nervousness around the staff of the inn, they were uncomfortable with two other men sitting near the window. His mind picked up a few words all of which indicated they were dangerous.

When Artemis sat down he looked to Ixevim.

"Do you feel it?" he quietly said to the two "There is a lot of magic around."

Kimuriel furthered his own sense of detection. There was not just magic nearby but something psionic as well. Something that did not feel human. It slightly perturbed him and he thought it best not to connect to what it was directly.

"What is it Kimuriel?" Artemis asked
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OOC> Van, dearest sister it is "mind FLAYER"! :evil:

IC> Ixevim sent the others a telepathic message. "The people by the window are dangerous. I assume that you have felt they're not as human as they seem all of you. Artemis what do you get with magic? I also found traits of psionic activity here. Not just mine and Kimuriel's."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Artemis looks around the room slowly so as to make it appear he is simply looking at the inn and not its occupants, all the while his hands move silently in the movements of a spell.

"The basement... something underground below us and the inn... One of us should investigate so as not to cause alarm."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

“I sensed something unnatural too. I will go to the basement. I can be invisible, have the inertial barrier to protect me from physical attacks and most of all if something really bad happens I can just teleport outside. I’ll try to contact you from down there and Ixevim please give me any updates you have from these two by the window. Wish me luck.”

With that Kimuriel yawns loudly and stretched.

“I think I will go to sleep, I’m exhausted. I’ll see you in the morning”

The psion goes up to his room and closes the door behind him. He concentrates and touches his chest the translucent matter appears and covers him. Then, he closes his eyes one more time and touches his chest again. He becomes invisible. Carefully he opens the door and goes out. At the bottom of the stairs he touches his feet, the gravity stops holding him and Kimuriel starts flying.

Always invisible he flies over the bar and rests attached to the ceiling. From there he looks carefully around to discern the basement’s door.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Kimuriel quickly sees the basement's entrance. It is within the kitchen room behind an open door at the bar. Moving quietly inside the kitchen he sees the stairs leading down.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel smiles and always flying goes down the stairs. He doesn't walk because he doesn't want to make any noise or activate any trap. The light from the kitchen is enough for the half-elf to see in the dark. As he reaches the bottom of the stairs, listens carefully and looks around.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

The light in the basement flickers as Kimuriel's movement causes the air around a nearby candle to move. The stairs end at a storage corridor with a number of crates stacked around. Behind this a large curtain is nailed to the wall to block sight from the entrance.

"What was that?" a man's voice sounds out nearby
"Nothing, this place gets a bit of draft from the windows at the edge."
"But we nailed those up..."
"The place ain't air tight."

The first man makes a non-comitted grunt which is then stopped by a swishing sound.

"I'll go check it out. You know how it gets..."

Another sound, this one almost musical in tune -like a monotonous tuning fork in pitch. The sound stops and the curtain is pulled back for a moment. A man in leather armour walks out from behind it and heads towards the stairs.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim talks to Artemis about this and that (the inflamed price of potatoes, the weather etc) while he reaches out to get into the psion's mind.

"Anything interesting there Kimuriel?"

OOC> Mind flayers can hold a conversation while concentrated on something else. In fact they can hold 4-5 different telepathic conversations. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

“May you get the images directly from my mind Ixevim? I have to move on now.”

Replies Kimuriel mentally.

While the man comes towards the stairs, leaving the curtain pulled back, Kimuriel moves again towards the ceiling, trying to not make violent moves that can move the air around him. In such way he flies over the man almost attached at the ceiling, at the longest distance possible for him and enters in the room.
Last edited by VAN on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Kimuriel moves past the curtain and what he sees makes his resolve shake. (Fear check roll)

Three open casks that resemble beds lay against the wall. The third bed like structure is covered in blood and laying inside the closest casks are two men Kimuriel does not recognise. One man is hooked up to a variety of wires and metal tubing. Some of the tubes quite obviously insert into his skull and where they enter slowly bleeds clear sap-like fluid. His orange hair is shaved in patches for the hook ups and his chest rises and falls slowly as drool pools around his mouth.

The other man is also asleep but is only tied down with leather straps.

And beyond all this there is a slight hissing sound.

It hovers in the air between the two. A round ball of about 3-4 feet in diameter. Tendrils hang down from it and some wrap around the orange haired man while others are loose. It turns to look at Kimuriel -its lenses reflecting what little light there is in the room. It gives a long musical note and its tentacles twitch.

At Kimuriel's right a man gets up from a chair.

"Bloody hell! What are you doing down here!?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ixevim is initially shocked and . . . intrigued. Then a deep frustration and righteous anger starts building into the mind flayer transforming within seconds to hate and determination. This abominable creature must be destroyed!
Ixevim knew first hand that no creature had the right to feed on the brain of a helpless man.
Ixevim sent Artemis a mental warning as he standed up from his chair for the diplomat to not be shocked by the image. At the questioning gaze of Artemis he just responded by sending him the image of what lurked bellow painted with his frustration, hate and disgust.
"Cover me from them!" He said (mentally implying the couple in the window) and with quick steps (and an always blank expressionless face) he speeded towards the kitchen and the cellar.
The innkeeper stood in his way with a puzzled look and asked "Can I help you . . .". Ixevim contacts the man's mind and using a psionic suggestion said "Stay out of my way!" The ghostly whispers gave strength to the mind flayer's command.
With the innkeeper clearing the path Ixevim headed for the cellar.

OOC> Ixevim's "righteous" anger is a lie he told himself. Read the OOC.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel doesn't have the time to realize how the lighting tentacled creature and the man have seen him. The view of the blood, the tied men and the creature who seems feeding from this man's brain have made him shaken.

Trying to regain his calm and despite his is shaken, Kimuriel moves back, concntrates and unleashes a mind blast in direction of both the creature and the man.
- W H A T ! ? !
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

The man immediatley sucumbs to the mind blast, however the levitating creature seems unaffected.

Upstairs Artemis is quickly talking to the two men by the window, as Ixevim descends the stairs another man meets him with sword drawn. Quickly attacking he lunges at the mindflayer.

At this time the alien creature begins detaching itself from the orange haired man undisturbed by the half-elf's attack. Turning back to Kimuriel it begins raising itself on its tentacles pushing itself higher.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A mental message goes out to Kimuriel. "Kill it!".
Dodging the blow getting only scratch, Ixevim lashes out with his tentacles at the man without a second thought. At least he will feed. The decision comes to him naturally and seems rewarding in a very different fashion than usually. Ixevim doesn't stop to think about the implications and the explanations of this uncharacteristic attack with the hated creature killing an innocent man.
As the tentacles make contact with the man, Artemis' illusion breaks revealing the mind flayer's true form, adding to the man's confusion.

OOC> Ixevim doesn't have mage armor or anything else active. The "scratch" is a wound, but since Ixevim is at full health, it isn't very deep.
hit rolls: 28, 28, 27, 13 ( :D) I actually rolled them! Ixevim initiates a grapple. 15 +2/ tentacle that hits, +4 for improved grapple. This should equal 25 or 27 depending on the man's AC. :). If the man doesn't free himself in his turn, Ixevim's tentacles will penetrate the man's head from eyes, skull, mouth (he will use extract).
That will show to the imposter how it should be done, but Ixevim doesn't understand that this is actually his motive.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Kimuriel pulls out his gun but he doesn’t shoot, he decides to do so only if his psionic attacks do nothing at the creature. He concentrates, moves his head up and a cone of fire is unleashed from his mouth.

OOC> Kimuriel has manifested “Breath of the Dragon” 11d4, Reflex half damage. Since the attack is a cone Kimuriel moving his head up avoids getting the oranged-hair man in the cone.
- W H A T ! ? !