Who's Doomed in Eberron...

Coordinating community projects
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Who's Doomed in Eberron...

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Goose Bone wrote:
The catch being, Mourning Day is one of the unsolvable mysteries of Eberron, answering it is akin to explaining what the Dark Powers are.
Yeah, you are right, no arguments against this one.

The idea with living spell isn't bad, but "Rise Dead" that is alive..? C'mon, that sounds like a metagame joke o.O
Zombie apocalypse is a neat thought (Karrnath), but with the "living death" (or living undeath, to be precize) - isn't it too much similar to Necropolis and Death himself..?
A litte, except everyone in Necropolis is dead. And the dead are intelligent.
The hook in "Zombieland" is the living survivors: isolated pockets of humanity struggling to survive.
The zombie apocalypse genre is big and expansive, and Ravenloft doesn't have a solid equivalent.
Goose Bone wrote:Hmmm... Maby a... Warforged Darklord? The one and only really sapient creature within his domain, who creates a shitload of constructs around him to create an illusion of a great society, that works and prosper well? Lonelines, inhumanity, that could be a nice one... And the players that somehow figure out that they are within a huge "Truman show" ant they nice warforged friend is the one who designed all this things - and maby he want to turn them into a warforgeds and stay with him foreeever... Of course if he turns them into a constructs they wont be sapient no more...
Warforged are hard to use, not being part of the SRD and trademarks of WotC. Using them is fun but means this never goes past message board publication (no nethbooks or the like).
Goose Bone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Goose Bone »

Yeah, you are right, there is no trully zombieland in Ravenloft... Maby the closest equivalent I can found in 4th edition settings must be aa most recent Thay from FR...
In the end - maby this will be a good storyhook to confront the DEATH and the UNDEATH? They are so similar and so different in the end, this may be a really interesting when I think about it now...

Warforged aren't part of OGL??? Seriously? I didn't know about it... Well that sucks:/ Cannot we rename them somehow, to create "something similar, but not exactly the same"? "Battlecrafted" ones or something like that?

Waaait a moment...
(here comes a joke, anyone who read this - not even try to take this seriously. Seriously.)
VIEW CONTENT:
No part of this document is Open Game Content
Any unauthorized duplication of this document will result in a public burning.
Survey on the Zherisian Expedition
April 1st, 2007
Fraternity of Shadows®
In no event is the Fraternity of Shadows liable for damages caused by the misuse of its products.
Dungeons and Dragons, D&D, and Ravenloft are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast Inc (WotC).
These trademarks are used without permision.
We defy your laws and mock your justice; so sayeth the Fraternity of Shadows!

PS: I’m innocent of any copyright infringement. All these other people made me break the law. I tried to stop them.
They said that those stupid copyright courts would never get their heads out of their asses long enough to catch them.
And then they laughed.
Nui adevarat! Si eu pot sa iubesc si osa iubesc... Din nou...
Jester of the FoS

Goose Bone wrote:Yeah, you are right, there is no trully zombieland in Ravenloft... Maby the closest equivalent I can found in 4th edition settings must be aa most recent Thay from FR...
In the end - maby this will be a good storyhook to confront the DEATH and the UNDEATH? They are so similar and so different in the end, this may be a really interesting when I think about it now...
You shouldn't have to change a land to make it work. And it's a big change (adding humans to Necropolis, making the undead mindless, changing the tone to survival horror).
And, as Necropolis is a city, it's arguably easy to escape. Just dash for the border and as soon as you hit Darkon you're free.

If it was an island of terror however, you're stuck in Zombieland. And it's easier to explain human survivors. Zombie Apocalypse is a huge trope, possibly larger at the moment than werewolves and mummies and Lovecraft. There's such a range from Walking Dead, Zombieland, Fido, World of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead in film and Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, and Zombie Island in video games.

Eberron works nicely as you can play with the remains of advanced technology that has to be scavenged and might not be working. You have all the signs of the more dungeonpunk world, such as the lightning rails and magical conveniences, but many of them stopped running or crashed or are swarming with zombies.
Goose Bone wrote:Warforged aren't part of OGL??? Seriously? I didn't know about it... Well that sucks:/ Cannot we rename them somehow, to create "something similar, but not exactly the same"? "Battlecrafted" ones or something like that?
They only updated the SRD for a few key books (psionics and Unearthed Arcana) and other than that it's only the core, and even then there are key monsters missing.
While I'm okay with individual warforged, I'd be hesitant to make it a true race or add several at once, let alone one as a key figure. The made man as a darklord has been done before (Odaire and Lamordia) so it feels less interesting. We don't need a darklord of every race or class.
The clockwork man going mad from loneliness and creating flawed creations, building an idyllic society of mindless automatons that never quite go right is interesting. But it's a one-note locale, an adventure not a campaign, better suited for a pocket domain (even a small city within said zombieland).
Goose Bone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Goose Bone »

You shouldn't have to change a land to make it work.
I think you misunderstand my words - I do not want to convert Necropolis into the Zombieland;)
I want to make Necropolis and Zombieland the worst enemies. Two elemental forces - Death against Undeath...
I agree this may be an interesting hook to make a "clockwork idylla" one of the locations within Zombieland - the place when players could think "huh, there are survivors here, we are safe for now" - only to find out that they had to escape as soon as posible:]

Anyway I started to think that zombieland really could be an interesting domain...
Jester of the FoS

Goose Bone wrote:
You shouldn't have to change a land to make it work.
I think you misunderstand my words - I do not want to convert Necropolis into the Zombieland;)
I want to make Necropolis and Zombieland the worst enemies. Two elemental forces - Death against Undeath...
I agree this may be an interesting hook to make a "clockwork idylla" one of the locations within Zombieland - the place when players could think "huh, there are survivors here, we are safe for now" - only to find out that they had to escape as soon as posible:]

Anyway I started to think that zombieland really could be an interesting domain...
I'm poking away at a project for this summer that will add a few new domains. "Zombieland" will be one. It should be easy to add some locations and hooks, such as "clockwork idylla".
Goose Bone
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Goose Bone »

Sounds good for me, tell me if I could be any helpful:)