RLR: Choose your domain 3 - Eastern Domains

Coordinating community projects

Which one of these domains would you choose to be included in Ravenloft Reanimated?

Rokushima Taiyoo
41%
Sanguinia
12%
Sebua
12%
Vorostokov
35%

Total votes: 17

WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

RLR: Choose your domain 3 - Eastern Domains

Post by WolfKook »

We've voted, we've chosen, and the list of domains is already expanding. But there are still some domains that have not been voted for.

And as new year's eve approaches, we greet it by exploring those domains with an eastern feeling (Well, one middle-eastern, but we're getting to the end of the list, and there are few domains left already). Again, in the end, only 2 domains would be chosen to rule the east!

And the candidates are:

Rokushima Taiyoo: The five islands of the sun, where four brothers battle each other for dominance over the whole empire.
Sanguinia: A frozen plateau where a lonely vampire strives to keep the status quo.
Sebua: A desolate desert inhabited by savage children where a lonely priestess awaits to steal your heart.
Vorostokov: A savage, cold land, where a warlord and his band strive to conquer everything.

Please, take the time to vote for one of them and, if possible, to explain your decision. Why you vote for that domain and not for the others? Which makes this domain special? What would you change in the others to make them worthy of inclusion?
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

It would seem Vorostokov will be the only domain included? But it just beats the other three (which are tied at this point) by one vote! What about the reasons behind the votes?
William Blake
Irving the Meek
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Irving the Meek »

I've never seen Rokimusha Toyoo well described, or even delineated. It's more me than anything else, I suppose, but I'd much rather have an Oriental domain that has echoes of Fu Manchu in it than this sketch.

Sanguinia, is, as I recall, not much more than a monster with a place to stand on.

Suba I like - the Darklord is very evocative - but it's again, not much more than a monster with some acres. A pretty, interesting monster, but that's all. And her stats have rarely, if ever, made sense.

That leaves Vostrokov. None of these are all that thrilling to me, but I can at least see it glued onto the northernmost edge of the Core, which is where my interests really lie. And I like the take on werewolves.
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

I dont know a great deal about the oriental domains as I never really read about them.

I did some reserach and acording to the gryphon hill site theres an I'cath as well?

They put this into the centre of the lake in Rokushima Táiyoo.

Dont know if that idea is worth saving.

From the description you present Sebua sounds very interesting, the same with Sanguinia. But both seem to be about the idea of being alone. Maybe there could be a link developed between these two? A kind of balance between hot and cold. Not really sure where I am going with this.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

NykylaiHellray wrote:I dont know a great deal about the oriental domains as I never really read about them.

I did some reserach and acording to the gryphon hill site theres an I'cath as well?
Yeap, but it's not overly popular (Indeed, most people voted against it and its darklord in the initial poll), especially among those members of this forum who have an eastern background (Right, HumanBing?)

FWIK, I'Cath is based on "A chinese ghost story", and it's basically a small island where you have no option but to face the DL (I'm not very familiar with the complete plot, though).
They put this into the centre of the lake in Rokushima Táiyoo.

Dont know if that idea is worth saving.
Perhaps, or perhaps it would be better absorbed by Rokushima, I guess as a pocket domain it wouldn't be that bad.
From the description you present Sebua sounds very interesting, the same with Sanguinia. But both seem to be about the idea of being alone. Maybe there could be a link developed between these two? A kind of balance between hot and cold. Not really sure where I am going with this.
Sebua's darklord is a special kind of mummy who has to eat hearts to keep herself alive; The domain is mostly barren and uninhabited, except for savage children who roam it. I'm afraid I don't know very much about the rest of the plot.

Sanguinia is based on Poe's "Masque of the Red Death", in which the darklord -Ladislav Mircea, a rich prince -tried to keep himself and his guests away from the plague, and ended up becoming a vrykolaka vampire, his realm becoming frozen and mostly desolate. Again, don't know very much about the rest.

Where's my DoD when I need it?
William Blake
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Another possibility is just merge all the eastern domains together and establish one darklord over them all. With the other beings, just being random monsters or regional lords (but not dark lords).

Another radical idea, is destroy the heart eating mummy, but take ideas from it and give it to the ice woman.

Instead of a vampire make her a mixture of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki_onna
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snegurochka

A woman who killed her lover and cut out his heart out of susspicion when he went away on a long journey for months on end.

When she killed him, she found a ring with a precious gem that looked like a snowflake. Inscribed with a message showing his love for her.

So she is damned to love a random guy from a neraby village and be destined to kill him out of paranoia despite the man truley loving her.

The heat from the loving heart causes her to melt and dissapate till another man falls for her.

(you could have her eating it or just holding it, either way she melts)

Hmmm random idea. Dont know if that appeals.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

I *like* Rokushima Taiyoo. :P It needs serious retooling, but I like it. If spun right, it gets at a theme about war that isn't quite covered with other domains: Falkovnia's more about the flat-out horror and brutality of military conflict, but I see the Six Islands as a commentary on its futility.

Way I see it, instead of keeping Haki entirely powerless, you say that the only useful thing the dead Shogun can do is to manifest to his four sons, and that only occasionally. The guy's frantically trying to put his country back together from beyond the grave by giving his kids the right military advice: convince this one to ally with that one, get them both attack the third guy together from that direction, and so forth.

Now, the fun parts about this situation are:
1) In a stroke of bitter irony, Haki's actually trying to bring about peace--but since he still doesn't understand that peace can't always be brought about by superior military tactics, he's just trying to bully his way into it by proxy. No wonder it's not working.

2) He was such an awful father that his kids don't follow his advice anyway; they inevitably turn on each other or screw it up, and all of Dad's brilliant plans eventually fall apart as a result.

3) No matter which brother owns what territory at any given moment, it's basically a moot point: the four of them are all virtually identical arrogant jerkwads, and the common folk get the worst of it no matter who's in charge. Practically, there's really no way for Haki to get a functioning country out of this mess, no matter what he does: he's engaged in an utterly futile exercise. And he's probably never going to realize it.

How's that work for you guys? :D
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I voted for Vorostokov. Most of it's prejudice; it was the setting for the first online Ravenloft game I ever played and lasted over two years. You don't go through a winter that long and not have it make a big impact.

Gregor was a fantastic villain (we helped to kill him in our game). The domain portrayed that claustrophobic 'little country' feel so often associated with Ravenloft.

As for the other three, I wouldn't mind Rokushima Taiyoo if it was based on the writing that was done about it (and several other realms if I remember correctly) on this board a couple of years ago. I have no interest whatsoever in the other two.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude